keep building the 2v or just buy a Mach1?

yzfr6i

Reaction score
I've reached the point on my '02 where I've done all the bolt-ons that can be removed if I sell the car. My next step will be T/F heads, Hightech stage 2 cams, and gears. All things that I can't easily swap back. I'm at the fork in the road where I could just take that money, sell the GT and buy a Mach or Cobra, or just keep building the GT.

From what I keep hearing a 2v with bolt-ons and cams will not keep up with a Mach. If this is truly the case then I'll be looking for a Mach or Cobra. I just wanted to hear peoples experiences on this site as opposed to the comments on YouTube.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Bolt on 2v will not keep up with a Mach.... unless you spray....

Now a tf and cam 2v will keep up with a mach or an FI 2v will but if they are mod for mod it will take u. Assuming drivers are the same....

OP
OP
yzfr6i

yzfr6i

Reaction score
That's kind of the direction I thought this was going to go. It just seems like it should be easy to make up the 45hp difference between the two cars. Now my next question is do the 4V engines have even less low end than the 2V. That's my one complaint about the 4.6 over the 5.0, they just don't feel as mean.

Sinned83

Reaction score
That's kind of the direction I thought this was going to go. It just seems like it should be easy to make up the 45hp difference between the two cars. Now my next question is do the 4V engines have even less low end than the 2V. That's my one complaint about the 4.6 over the 5.0, they just don't feel as mean.
I don't know about that... My mach pulls harder than both of my old 5.0's but I do have 4.10's.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
The not enough low end talk stems from the 96-98 Cobras with B heads. Machs have a bit more low end but also good midrange and good top end. Perfect combo in my opinion. C heads for the win.

I'd honestly go 4v, machs with bolt ons will be a challenge for a hci 2v.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its hard to beat the 4V platform, however, Im a fan of being an underdog, hence the reason for me sinking money into a 2V. Its all in what you want. Id love to own a Mach or 99/01 Cobra one day, but Id never get rid of my 2V to get one...

Sinned83

Reaction score
^ This. Were all mustang guys but I'd be kinda pissed if a 2v gave me the business

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I kinda feel like if you don't have an emotional connection to your car now I'd say swap it out for the fastest/best thing you can afford as a starting point. once you start doing heads and what not like you said it's going to make it hard to get rid of so you better not have any second thoughts.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't sink a lot of money into building a GT if getting a mach or cobra is a consideration that's feasible for you. But be advised, the early C heads had issues with coolant passages and spark plug thread counts. I have a brand new set of 2005 Revised C heads still in the box that I'm going to use on my white cobra project when I finally resume progress on it. But anyway, if you can justify going 4V, do it. 4V is where it's at.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The 2v's are nearly indestructible n/a. Pair one with the tfs heads and power starts to get real! Like 400rwhp real n/a and this seems to be the norm with the swap. Youll spend the same amount 2v tfs setup as you will built 4v swap over only to gain the same power level and in my opinion more headache. To many valves, got to modify heads to gain the compression or big bore it $$$$

If I were daily driving my car and had buckteef settling for simplicity, put gas in and go 4v, but built, tfs 2v all the way. Take it a step further and do e85.

$300 used thumpy 2v cams or $1000+ 4v thumpy cams

OP
OP
yzfr6i

yzfr6i

Reaction score
I've always wanted a Mach, so going with one won't be upsetting to me. I would try finding a lower mile one that's stock, and keeping it that way. Mostly just using it for car shows and nice days.

Knowing that there's a large performance difference makes the choice much easier. It would have been hard to drop the money on a Mach only to make a lateral move in power. And on the flip side to put a bunch of money into the GT just to run even with, or get beat by a Mach.

As long as a Mach will out run my wife's GTO I'll be happy.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was the 96-98 that had this problem. That the C heads fixed the issues.

The C heads had new cams and fixed the runner length intake manifolds. They have a broader power band over B heads. They have a better design that gives a more efficient air/fuel mixture. But as I mentioned above, they had the issue with the coolant passage and spark plug threads. The best production heads for a 4v are the 2005 revised C heads because they have the revised coolant system, updated exhaust ports, and 9 spark plug threads instead of only 4.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also, from what I've been able to determine, they changed them out sometime during the 2004 production run, but nobody can seem to pinpoint exactly when the change happened.

OP
OP
yzfr6i

yzfr6i

Reaction score
Shorten the LSA on the stock cams lump lump.... it'll run like shit except up top lol

LOL.. The last thing I'd want to do is lose more low end.. My wife's car has torque like a freight train, which makes up greatly for her lack of driving.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have been going over this same dilemma the last 2 months.

Back and forth.... do I keep my 96 that I have had since new and dump more money into it or buy something newer.

I have been looking at low mile Mach 1's because I need an Auto and many of my current parts will swap over (built Teksid/IRS/brakes etc).

Surprisingly I can find them in the $11K range with 60-70k miles. I will wait until @ February if I do make the change, just before prices go up for Spring.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So sexy!

4k9oao.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online