Keep my 5.0 or get a 2nd Gen S/C lightning?

Kylebach14

Reaction score
I love my 94 5.0, but I did a recent build and don't know if it will be what I want. My Mustang has 67k on it and is a garage queen. I found a 2000 lightning with 102k on it for sale and thinking about trading up since you can get power out of those with just a pulley and a MAF. The only thing with the lightning is that it doesn't have that image that everyone knows. Also the lightning is a little beat up. The front fender is dented pretty bad nad it needs new headlights but the rest of the body is straight. I was just wanting to get some opinions on what you guys think?

TanTop94

Reaction score
There are a few people who have had lightings on here and they seemed to have alot of problems with them, buying one that has body damage and over 100K seems alittle risky. Vortech your car and youll make more than enough power to crack your block haha...given if its a stock block.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
I love Lightnings so I would say go for it. Something badass about 400hp with a lawnmower in the back.

piester

Reaction score
they are a pretty nice truck stock but once you start modifying them thats when you get problems. i believe it was the 99/00 that had intercooler problems which isnt that cheap to fix, they also have a tenancy to launch sparkplugs out. the 03/04 is the best year for them. more threads in the plug holes. pretty much took everything that was going wrong with the truck and took care of it.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade for the lightning because you know your mustang inside and out, and know what type of condition it is. If you were buying it from a close friend or someone you know maybe, but getting a lesser quality vehicle is not on my list unless you got restoration money in your account.

Grouper Trooper

Reaction score
My daily driver is a '03 Lightning and I don't believe I will ever give it up. I needed a pickup on occasion but wanted a Cobra, presto... a cobra with a bed. I have 130K without any issues of any kind, just normal maintenance and a few tires, mostly from the rear. These monsters are pushing 380hp out of the box and minor changes will get you over 410hp in a hurry. These are racing machines designed for the street and in stock form they are virtually unbreakable. Top redline is a loafing 5250RPM shift point. Handling like a slot-car (anyone remember them?) heavy duty lowered suspension, 3.73 rear end heavy duty transmission and upgraded brakes on all four; 295/45/18 standard; can you tell I like these things?. Read some of the initial magazine reports and you will see what I mean. If you don't push them with add-on NOS and other stuff they are daily drivers that just go and go like a normal F150. Fun factor is a 10 plus, don't give a rat's buttocks of what other people think about how they look... just put them in the co-pilots seat and nail it. They will have only two words to utter and the first one will be "holy ..." A Lightning will show you that a Supercharger is the cats ass and the only way to go in your need for speed. Do your research on the different years (go 2003 or 2004 if possible) get a carfax and be sensible and safe in your driving skills. I don't post what I own in my signature as I see no point or need, but to put this reply in perspective, I have two 1969 Mercury Cougars, a factory 428CJ (335hp, well ok, more like 400 flywheel bhp), a 351W Eliminator (290 flywheel bhp)and a E500 Mercedes at 310rwhp along with a 2006 Mustang GT I believe is at 315rwhp. Of those, the Lightning is the ultimate winner on the fun factor and speed-o-meter scale. 2003/2004 Lightnings are the hands down best bang for the buck (In my humble opinion)

Jayson

Stab and steer my brothers and sisters!

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
^ Not sure if you love them or not after all that... haha jk.

Lightnings are awesome! Once you mod though, they get crappy mpg if that matters to you. Fun trucks for sure and they look awesome in stock form and even better lowered. Remember though, it may have all that power but they are heavy. My Cobra with maybe 280whp put about 3 cars on one from various rolling speeds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online