keeping up with LS1

Schiffy

Reaction score
I've got a buddy with a "stock" 2004 GT that can run him.... the car looks completely stock, but it's a H/C/I. pop the hood you would never notice anything except the Longtubes and Cold air intake, turn it on, and let it idle, thats another story... that 4.6 cams like a big bad bitch...

Give us about 2 months, and we'll have the Aluminum driveshaft, Aluminum Flywheel, and the Aluminum underdrive pulleys as well...

drifts14x

Reaction score
Alright, besides my joking "swap an LT1 in there when he's not looking" I would say a really built top end is the key, you probably won't need any kind of supercharger, but good tires, 3.73's, HCI should do it, but seriously, those cars are monstrous, the only other thing you can hope for is that he puts on some 315/35/17's or 275/40/17's and overloads that little 7.5 rear end like my brother did, when they go kaboom on launch, the car doesn't go anywhere ;) I know it sucks to have your mustang talked down on, but sometimes there are better cars out there, so that's why we mod. Oh, cheap setup would be a used 351w from an old bronco, if you could get a trans housing, and well, all of that costs the same as a blower, so just stick to the aforementioned.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
See I hate how he talks down on it. I mean it's an older car, older style engine, and heavier car... so duh it's gonna be slower.

I know the like 98 or so and up GM v8s are insane. That from their small ones up to the big boys. The truck I drive at work has an 8.1 V8... 8.1!!! That's fast as heck.

My thinking is I don't neccessarily want to beat him, just get the car to a state where I can either run even, or he'll slowly walk away from me. Then he can't be like "i kicked your a$$" it's more like well you gradually pulled on me, nothing to run home about..

i jus theard he may be selling the camaro for a civic SI... so who knows.

My theory is just to keep enjoying the car for what it is and make it better than what it was !

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Selling his camaro for a civic si? Excuse me while I laugh a lot. Look I am going to say it to you plain and simple, unless you get a blower, a real good heads cam and intake package or a good bit of nitrous that camaro is going to pull bus lengths on you like no joke. So either race him or don't. There isnt really much more to say.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
ok they are two different cars and i know i'd lose but i'd still run him to say I did.

I dunno why I can' tjust have a discussion about what to do to the car. We are gonna mod the crap out of it... so I'll tune in later!

The Green GT

Reaction score
You will need a full H/C/I

I raced a guy with a '99 camaro once, and as soon as we got on the... track, the was behind me and FLEW right past me.

94Vert

Reaction score
stang94X said:
LS1 cars are lighter than ours and the fact that you have a convertable just makes you even a lot heavier, so yank out all the weight you can.

ls1 are not lighter, their rated around 3450. with him being a vert their probably close to the same. if not the mustang having a slight advantage.

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
with my bolt ons you see below.... i can take a stock LS1. i can still barely pull one with a lid, exhaust and stock gears. any more than that and they pull me.

stang94X

Reaction score
94Vert said:
stang94X said:
LS1 cars are lighter than ours and the fact that you have a convertable just makes you even a lot heavier, so yank out all the weight you can.

ls1 are not lighter, their rated around 3450. with him being a vert their probably close to the same. if not the mustang having a slight advantage.

me and my friend took our cars to a weigh scale, he has a 2002 trans am convertable, i have a 94 mustang gt convertable, he weighed in at 3580 with him in it; he weights 175, i weighed 3540 with me in the car; i weight 150, ( this was all done last week ) and my car had no back seat, no passenger seat, a APC seat for the driver side without the power seat bracket, no spare tire/jack or trunk carpet, no smog pump, front sway bar, fog lights, 25 lbs weight in the fender and with an aluminum driveshaft/ no dog bone and aluminum heads, my friends trans am was bone stock to the tires, so just think how much lighter a ls1 car thats a coupe is, then compared to a convertable mustang without weight reduction

94Vert

Reaction score
stang94X said:
94Vert said:
stang94X said:

me and my friend took our cars to a weigh scale, he has a 2002 trans am convertable, i have a 94 mustang gt convertable, he weighed in at 3580 with him in it; he weights 175, i weighed 3540 with me in the car; i weight 150, ( this was all done last week ) and my car had no back seat, no passenger seat, a APC seat for the driver side without the power seat bracket, no spare tire/jack or trunk carpet, no smog pump, front sway bar, fog lights, 25 lbs weight in the fender and with an aluminum driveshaft/ no dog bone and aluminum heads, my friends trans am was bone stock to the tires, so just think how much lighter a ls1 car thats a coupe is, then compared to a convertable mustang without weight reduction

"motor trend" and "car and driver" must not know what their talking about then. what where the fuel levels at?

stang94X

Reaction score
94Vert said:
stang94X said:
94Vert said:
stang94X said:

"motor trend" and "car and driver" must not know what their talking about then. what where the fuel levels at?

i dont know bout his but mine was about half, it was before we went to the track and i was basicly empty and threw 5/6 gallons in the tank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online