Kenne Bell Project Help, Questions, Suggestion, Advice, Tips, etc.

muscle2000

Reaction score
Hello SN95Forums I hope I am posting this is the correct section, I am new to this site as you can see from my Profile and very happy to be here. Anyways I am interested in throwing in the Bada$$ 2V TS1000-99-INT Kenne Bell Supercharger that allows for 6-14PSI including the Intercooler. I have a few concerns before I attempt to perform this and I know on this forum there have been many people that have already done a build just like this or similar.

Ok so as of right now my Current build is pretty stock the car is a 2000 Mustang GT 4.6L with 137,000 miles on it. Mods are JLT RAM Air Intake, SCT Tuner, 70 MM TB, yes very little mods this thing is a daily driver and my only car. I have been doing some research on putting the Kenne Bell in my car and these are the things I am going to change before I put it in. I need to switch out the A/C compressor because it has cracked and summer's in Sacramento, CA are usually 100 plus degrees daily and by night 90 degrees, that has nothing to do with the KB but it needs to be done. Next is switch out the stock motorcraft spark plugs for NGK T6's and test the Motor Compression, MSD Spark Plug wires for the stock wires, possibly the fuel pump I am still looking for a good affordable one and then input the KB.

My Question's / Concerns are this is a daily driver, it does have 137,000 miles on it with no serious problems that I know of. Will my car be able to handle the KB with 6-14PSI Intercooled? With normal driving will the gas mileage change? What is the average cost for installation because I can only find one shop in Sacramento California and they quoted me 1,500 for labor only DAMN, I am looking for someone to install this because I know very little about cars and never installed anything large like this besides the small mods I posted. Do I need gauges? Can I run the A/C and heater like I normally do? I do understand non of these question's can be answered 100% because no one here has seen my engines health, Several other variations come in to play like how hard I drive the car, etc, etc. I am just looking for suggestion's, Advice and other people's experiences with a supercharger. Also if anyone knows of any affordable car mechanics that can install this in Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom, GB, Rancho, California that would be great.

Thank you SN95Forums in advance for the help!!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
keep the boost low.

gas mileage will change - if you keep it on low boost, wouldnt surprise me if it actually went UP. ...

somewhere around $1,500.00 is a reasonable install price for a performance shop $1,500 / $65hr = 23 hours. -- it may be a little steep on the price, but it sounds reasonable to me.

I suggest, at minimum, a wideband guage. if you have a few extra dollars, a boost guage as well.

the kit should run heater and a/c just fine

i suggest trying to haggle with the shop. if they have a dyno, have them do the install and a dyno tune for $1,700 for example (a tune normally runs $300 - $400.00....)

the.greg

Reaction score
Hello SN95Forums I hope I am posting this is the correct section, I am new to this site as you can see from my Profile and very happy to be here. Anyways I am interested in throwing in the Bada$$ 2V TS1000-99-INT Kenne Bell Supercharger that allows for 6-14PSI including the Intercooler. I have a few concerns before I attempt to perform this and I know on this forum there have been many people that have already done a build just like this or similar.

Ok so as of right now my Current build is pretty stock the car is a 2000 Mustang GT 4.6L with 137,000 miles on it. Mods are JLT RAM Air Intake, SCT Tuner, 70 MM TB, yes very little mods this thing is a daily driver and my only car. I have been doing some research on putting the Kenne Bell in my car and these are the things I am going to change before I put it in. I need to switch out the A/C compressor because it has cracked and summer's in Sacramento, CA are usually 100 plus degrees daily and by night 90 degrees, that has nothing to do with the KB but it needs to be done. Next is switch out the stock motorcraft spark plugs for NGK T6's and test the Motor Compression, MSD Spark Plug wires for the stock wires, possibly the fuel pump I am still looking for a good affordable one and then input the KB.

My Question's / Concerns are this is a daily driver, it does have 137,000 miles on it with no serious problems that I know of. Will my car be able to handle the KB with 6-14PSI Intercooled? With normal driving will the gas mileage change? What is the average cost for installation because I can only find one shop in Sacramento California and they quoted me 1,500 for labor only DAMN, I am looking for someone to install this because I know very little about cars and never installed anything large like this besides the small mods I posted. Do I need gauges? Can I run the A/C and heater like I normally do? I do understand non of these question's can be answered 100% because no one here has seen my engines health, Several other variations come in to play like how hard I drive the car, etc, etc. I am just looking for suggestion's, Advice and other people's experiences with a supercharger. Also if anyone knows of any affordable car mechanics that can install this in Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom, GB, Rancho, California that would be great.

Thank you SN95Forums in advance for the help!!

As far as how the engine will hold up considering the mileage, the compression test will let you know if it needs any attention, but in general with a safe/good tune these things are pretty darn reliable.

I'd recommend upgrading the fuel pump, I have a Walbro 255, but there are other options as well. I would also get some bigger injectors, I'm happy with my 42lb injectors and that would give you plenty of breathing room as far as duty cycle % is concerned.

I agree with Chris, keep the boost low and get a custom dyno tune done and it will treat you well, with the option to forge the rods/pistons later down the road and up the boost if more power is desired.

Chris covered the labor.

A/C and heater will still work fine, although you should consider getting a cooler than stock thermostat to keep it operating cooler.

Is this a automatic or manual car?

Also the NGK TR6 plugs should be gapped tight for boosted applications, mine are at .030, but I'm not positive if there would be a difference between gaps since yours is a 4.6 2v and mine is a 4v, so ask whoever tunes the car what they recommend.

OP
OP
M

muscle2000

Reaction score
Love the responses I am getting thank you MustangChris and the.greg. Couple of more question's as for keeping the boost low how low is that? 12PSI or? Any Suggestion's for a Wideband gauge? I am looking for a gauge pillar also. Hey the.greg Any suggestion's for specific Injector brands? This is an Automatic.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
let the shop pick your plugs. They may run a cooler temp set than what you'd end up buying.

Call Kenne Bell. Superchargers have a "range" of PSIs they should be in. I'd suggest starting your car out on the lowest setting they suggest (probably about 6 PSI)

As for wideband guages, I always suggest autometer guages. there's nothing better. BUT there are a lot of other options out there with better price tags and similar functions.

Hit www.jegs.com and look up autometer gauges, pick one that fits into whatever pod youre thinking about getting, and pick the options you want :) RPM recall? Tuner-input? WOT? etc. etc.

injectors: siemens are the name to trust. -- Let the shop buy these as well. That way if one is bad from the factory, and it fries a piston, you can take it back to the shop and tell them it's their problem. If you suggest the injectors they'll say "Well you were the one who brought us these injectors!"

i suggest picking out a few guages you like and bring it to the shop and telling them to do the rest :)

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Really where did you tr6's don't work on ur car ?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I was going to say everyone runs tr6's so why don't they work in ur motor ?

OP
OP
M

muscle2000

Reaction score
Haha my source is probably wrong I typed my car into AutoZone.com and the website said it does not fit. Haha also I can get the injectors installed afther the purcharger is installed right or the stock ones are not even worth using?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea, dont trust autozone's website. that's what we're here for. lol.

You'd be best to do the blower, plugs, injectors, fuel pump, and a tune all at the same time. this will help prevent hiccups and failures.

OP
OP
M

muscle2000

Reaction score
Thank you everyone I have been getting very good answer's, I am still debating on making the purchase. I am looking close to a $7,500 dollar project for 6PSI with a tune who knows how much power that maybe. It's sad to say I have never ever been in a car with a supercharger or a turbo just seen them and I am debating as if right now that much money is really worth it, that's some cash flow I could be putting into a new car or something else. Still unsure.

OP
OP
M

muscle2000

Reaction score
Haha yeah I know, This is currently my only car and a daily driver so shelling out that kind of money I would need some pretty good gains. The Supercharger installer place told me that they can install a procharger for around $4,700. But I have always heard great things about KB, great low end torque and also great power throughout all the rpm ranges and I love the scream of a KB.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just.... no. lol.

save up and buy something already built. If ya dont want to do the work yourself, its just cheaper in the long run to buy a terminator, gt500, corvette, porsche, etc.etc.

OP
OP
M

muscle2000

Reaction score
Haha MustangChris Are you saying I shouldn't even go for the Procharger? I am still on the fence. Its a Daily Driver, Need the Car to be reliable, Summer's in Sacramento are almost high 90's to 100 degrees, Needs to be the least stressful on my car, looking for a good SC or turbo that has some fun pulling power Low or mid range, Looking for an All in One package for around 5,000. Give me some experinces/suggestions people.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well, if that's your budget and your desires i'd say go for the pro charger.

the centrifical blowers are the cheapest and easiest way to add boost (in most applications on mustangs)

it will be reliable, cost effective, reliable.

I suggset splurging and getting a boost gauge and a wide-band gauge.

I suggest if reliability is #1 on your list, you have the shop do the work for ya. that way if there are problems you can just take it back and have them fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online