Keyless entry issues

joemomma

Reaction score
Hi gents,

First post here, looks to be a wealth of knowledge for my new-to-me '94GT. Been working through several issues (typical maintenance stuff), but I've ran into a snag with the keyless. I received two keys but no fobs with the car. The keyless module is installed in the trunk, but there is no anti-theft module. From my searches and videos I've seen, it doesn't look like the anti-theft module is a requirement for keyless to work. Where I am currently:
- dome light illuminates when lifting the door handle with the car locked
- door lock/unlock works on both doors
- when trying to program two new off-brand fobs, I was never able to get the car in to learning mode via shorting the two pins on the small gray connector with the ignition on.
- I have another keyless module a member on another forum sent me I can still try, in case mine is fried.

I should mention that the PO had a Clifford alarm system installed (there is still a rocker switch of some sort and a LED on the dash panel). He said it was "removed" so I have no idea of what was done with that. I guess my question is what's my next step? I'm not sure where to go to troubleshoot outside of the other KEM swap. I'm also not sure how much time I want to sink into tracing wiring out - I can get a complete keyless system for $50.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
start simple and check all the fuses to be sure that it has not popped. Its also important to get the correct remotes and it can be a little difficult sometimes.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Good idea, I'll check all the fuses. The remotes may or may not work - I won't know until I can at least get the car in learning mode. I love following someone else's work lol.

Bit more about me: this is my 3rd Mustang (most recently in an '06 GT, before that a '99 GT). The current '94 GT is a two owner (father/son) 5-speed with 155,000 miles. "All stock" per the listing, not to include the shorty headers, short shifter, stereo, mufflers, and gears lol. So far I've removed the stereo nonsense in prep to install something a bit more suitable, basic tune up (plugs, wires, coil, cap/rotor), and removed the smog pump. That smog pump was a real gem (at least the crossover tube). $100 worth of new tools, some bruises, and some new swear words later and it's all out and clean looking. I have an EGR block off plate/plug on order, it should be here this week. Still undecided on removing the EGR - I see mixed reviews on it. No emissions here, so I'm not too concerned about it. Cats will be coming off when I change the Flowmasters out (the drone at highway speed is unbearable with the gears - I think 3.73 but one of the online calculators indicated 3.90). I imagine they're clogged at this mileage.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have seen at autozones that they have a display to test if your remote is working. I don't doubt that its working as much as its on a different freq than the system.

Flade

Reaction score
The alarm is not required, it’s an add on to the Keyless entry. If I recall correctly you turn on the car then jumper the pins. The locks should cycle showing it’s in learn mode. You press a key on the FOB. The locks cycle, then you do the same with the second fob, etc. once all are programmed, you remove the jumper and turn off the key. make sure you have te right Fobs. LMR sells them. They have a Video on how to program them.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Welcome Joe, I posted in your thread a few times on s197forum.

One thing I forgot to ask was did you have your doors closed when you jumped the connector to enter programming mode? I know it was a requirement on the new edges so it’s a long shot but thought I’d throw that out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Thanks Flade. I can't get the car to go in to programming mode when jumping the pins in the gray connector.

Hey man good to see you! Small world lol. Yes, I did have the doors closed. I wonder if the trunk being open would cause an issue? Seems like a dumb thing considering where the connector is, but I've seen dumber.

Flade

Reaction score
Hey Joe,

The Trunk being open has no affect. I can’t remember if the doors need to be closed, but I think they do, because I remember always putting a window down so I can turn the key on and off.
Do all the lights turn on correctly when you lift a door handle? I am guessing you have a bad door switch or Wiring problem. If the Keyless module doesn’t pass self test you won’t be able to program it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I was a big sn95 guy before I bought my 07, I’m still big into them but I sold my 02 not too long ago. I’m on a few forums but I frequent here and s197forum the most.

There’s a lot of knowledge here. Start up another build thread on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Got it sorted out. The paperclip I was using wasn’t conductive enough to jump the pins for learn mode. Ended up using a socket and was done within 5 minutes!

Flade

Reaction score
Got it sorted out. The paperclip I was using wasn’t conductive enough to jump the pins for learn mode. Ended up using a socket and was done within 5 minutes!
A lot of paper clips are coated in plastic or other materials to prevent them from rusting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online