Knock knock! Engine knock.

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Just bought a 97 GT for $2600 (basically $2k for the car itself because it came with winter tires, rims, etc). Has some knock, but here is my trouble.
It's random.
The car makes the sound under half of the time, and goes away fairly quickly too, which makes me think bad damage hasn't really been done yet. It's that high-pitched rattling that sounds like something's just loose and banging around.
Any suggestions for the cause? I'm just a teen who messes around with his cars. I've heard of simple things like carbon deposits or timing chain stuff, or worse things like bearings. Worse case scenario, I just take the engine out over the winter and have it taken to a shop, but I'm curious as to possible causes.

If anybody is wondering why I bought the car at all:
1. I'm an idiot and have never heard high-pitched engine knock. Thought it was just a loose part or something ‍♂️
2. Everything else on the car works perfectly, not even a light. Perfect leather interior and everything. Only problems are a scratch on a rear quarter panel and reverse being tricky lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Where is the noise coming from? I recently had a cat converter go bad and start rattling/knocking. IF I put my head under the car I could tell it where it was coming from.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Be sure the oil isnt drowned with gasoline. Super thin oil can cause alot of problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online