Labor cost to replace head gasket ?

727 COBRA

Reaction score
answers my question...mine just blew today. trying to figure out how much it will cost compared to the headaches of doing it myself.
If anyone has done it themselves, about how long did it take to do it?!? hours? days? any bit of info would help..
*sorry to jack your thread

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
727 COBRA said:
answers my question...mine just blew today. trying to figure out how much it will cost compared to the headaches of doing it myself.
If anyone has done it themselves, about how long did it take to do it?!? hours? days? any bit of info would help..
*sorry to jack your thread
well I replaced my head gaskets but i also did a complete motor swap at the same time so i dont know the time it would take just for head gaskets. its not to fun of a job though..

you would need to lift the motor, take all the pulleys and the whole belt assembly off, timing chain cover, valve covers, timing chains, tensioners and chain guides then reinstall all of that plus get the timing right (not to hard if you don't move anything around or rotate the motor). id say you could knock it out in a weekend if you stuck with it.

GearGambler

Reaction score
by myself it takes a solid day, and thats on a windsor based motor. i would guess for a modular it would take longer?

727 COBRA

Reaction score
so I got a ball park quote of 900-950 to change both head gaskets. thats parts and labor, assuming that it just needs the new head gaskets. How does that price sound to you guys? Still not sure if I want that guy to do it...or save some money doing it myself and maybe be able to spend the money i save on upgrading a few parts...While I'm in there, what would be a cheaper upgrade I can do?(I'ld like to go no more then $1000, maybe a little more, into this)
Thanks in advance...sorry again for thread jacking

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
For $900-$950, I would consider paying somebody. If you are not familiar with the inner workings of the mod motors, It could cost you more in the long run.

Besides, if they screw up you have some sort of waranty. If you screw up, you get to do it again.

727 COBRA

Reaction score
yeah..I'm not comfortable with trying to work on it myself without having another engine waiting, just in case. I'll most likely(79%) sure take it to him. Hopefully he can hook up some extras as well..

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
SHEEITT.....
i went to ford the other day, and them bastaards quoted me 1800+ dollars ....

local mech told me 350- 500...heheehe gotta love lookin out for the lil guy...

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Gotta remember that the Ford Dealer is charging you a minimum of $80.00 an hour, most likely more.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Snakebit said:

Having the lowest common demononator working on your ride isn't always the best idea. Some shops charge 100 an hour because they're just that good, and it will only take them 6 hours. Some shops charge 45 an hour, and suck, it'll take them 23 hours... Be careful of who you turn your car over too.

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
J.R. said:
Snakebit said:

Having the lowest common demononator working on your ride isn't always the best idea. Some shops charge 100 an hour because they're just that good, and it will only take them 6 hours. Some shops charge 45 an hour, and suck, it'll take them 23 hours... Be careful of who you turn your car over too.

he is good, brian used to go to him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online