Largest cam with stock rotating assembly and heads?

Cobra95Red

Reaction score
What is the largest camshaft that I can put in my 95 Cobra with the stock rotating assembly and stock heads? I don't mind if I have to change the springs, but not looking to change anything else at this time. Thanks you all.

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
For a custom cam, I'd contact Ed Curtis of FTI... But if your keeping the stock heads (gt40s) and intake, I really wouldn't bother with a cam until you upgrade both of those. The rotating assembly is kinda irrelevant other than PTV clearance if you choose to go ahead with a cam. What's the rest of your combo? I could see a turbo specific cam if your running a turbo.

OP
OP
C

Cobra95Red

Reaction score
Right now it is just plain old stock components, down to the stock mufflers. I am just wanting something with a little more thump for the time being and to upgrade my mufflers to SLP LMs. I am going to do my full suspension, wheels/tires, and then paint job before I yank the engine out to replace it with a sbf 427 stroker. All of those engine specifics are already figured out. I just want something with a little more get up for now. I have done the 331 and 347 engines before with custom Bennett Racing cams, AFR185 heads, and aftermarket intakes, headers, and all that. But for now, I just want to enjoy the ride a little more until I have it handling like I want it to.

RichV

Reaction score
You're really wasting your time with stock heads and intake. It's a lot of work, and if you're in there already you may as well do the HCI. At least the GT40 gear plus a E303 or TFS, the cam is $200 new, I consider that cheap but you can find them $100 or so used from time to time.

Firefighter181

Reaction score
You're really wasting your time with stock heads and intake. It's a lot of work, and if you're in there already you may as well do the HCI. At least the GT40 gear plus a E303 or TFS, the cam is $200 new, I consider that cheap but you can find them $100 or so used from time to time.

I think he has a Cobra, I was thinking TFS as others have mentioned. As a swap is a few years out for me I may drop an Anderson N-41 or N-412 in my 40P H&I car. Anderson does not give their stuff away though.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As others have said, you are kind of wasting your time. The stock cams from Ford are actually not all that bad. Certainly not the best, but the more offending parts are the heads and intake. Those are the bottleneck. Even a stock cam with aftermarket heads and intake does a decent job. If you are looking for more grumble or something you'd be better off doing some long tubes or something. You really won't see anything from just a cam.

RichV

Reaction score
I think he has a Cobra, I was thinking TFS as others have mentioned. As a swap is a few years out for me I may drop an Anderson N-41 or N-412 in my 40P H&I car. Anderson does not give their stuff away though.

Duh. I thought it was GT, it was early when I read that, lol.

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
Change out your exhaust before you change the cam, see if that gives ya enough grumble. I had LM-1s on my mostly stock GT and it sounded pretty good at idle.

OP
OP
C

Cobra95Red

Reaction score
BlkoutGT, LM1s are the mufflers that I am ordering soon. Thanks for all of the input. I think that I will just stick with what I have for the time being. All of your input has been greatly valued.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online