late night cnc

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
still learning but I don't think that will ever stop with this machine/tool either. I have to say I have enjoyed the education so far and that was one of the reasons I got these knives was to learn from. This one the front came out nice, but when I went to etch the pony logo in the blade I forgot to refocus so the horse ended up a little out of place and out of focus. I will get a better pic of it in the morning but if someone wants it I will sell it for $15 plus shipping.
dgSxdkV.jpg
on the one I messed up the pony is down further on the blade, I was so disappointed I didn't get a pic.
5VH7vhU.jpg
A buddy had me make one for his 10 yr old for his first pocket knife. I am willing to bet we all remember that first pocket knife we were given, now imagine how cool it would have been to have your name on it?!

GbBlOgl.jpg

I also tried some marble that came out really nice. If you were to zoom in on the lapel of the little knights on the side you can even see a CHS, the initials of the school they teach at.

JGGG0gx.jpg

Snorky

Reaction score
Very cool seeing another machine tool Nerd on here, i thought 95black54 and I were the only ones. Loved reading this thread as well as his pursuit for custom 5.4 rods. So cool!!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The name plates came out great with a little color. I got metallic paint on accident but it actually has a nice shine/shimmer to it on the etched marble.
EVOswp8.jpg

I have been concentrating on mothers day gifts if anyone is looking for something original. I cut these charcuterie boards out of some nice walnut and I can write your family name on one side and on the other that you are their favorite kid and your brother sucks if you want. They are easy to pick up and handle with the hole and the edges being beveled and I hope to make a dipping bowl out of some maple that could go in the hole in the next couple of days.
no8nkl3.jpg
another curb stone. This would take some color really nice as well.
hqIodqy.jpg
I got some guy crap planned for next month/fathers day and picked up some whisky barrel heads and already got to gluing them up. I have also been considering getting some decanters to engrave now after tonights experiment.
8AB2TTi.jpg

garrittpwl

Reaction score
@ttocs your card says CNC work. I know we've discussed both being hoosiers before. What all are you capable of? If I gave you a set of 2v 4.6/5.4 adapters, is it possible to copy them for reproduction?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
@ttocs your card says CNC work. I know we've discussed both being hoosiers before. What all are you capable of? If I gave you a set of 2v 4.6/5.4 adapters, is it possible to copy them for reproduction?
blak would probably be the dude to talk for those. My cnc is nice but it isn't as heavy duty as his is for aluminum/metal and he is in Ky, not too far away.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Years ago I go this cachet(fancy name for a fancy envelope) that was signed by the members of the 500 hr club that was alive in 89 at a show. I always wanted to make a nice display for it and I am really happy with how this came out. There is a local baseball card show tomorrow I am going to take it down to and see if I can pass out some cards and make a sale or two.
oV8dKZl.jpg
This is a circle cutting jig for a router. One of my customers builds subwoofer boxes and keep breaking his, we hope to make the next one from aluminum to stop this.
urmFMPd.jpg
and then I was finally able to make a grave stone for my former best friend that is worthy of representing her.
5p8VX0y.jpg

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Years ago I go this cachet(fancy name for a fancy envelope) that was signed by the members of the 500 hr club that was alive in 89 at a show. I always wanted to make a nice display for it and I am really happy with how this came out. There is a local baseball card show tomorrow I am going to take it down to and see if I can pass out some cards and make a sale or two.
View attachment 17037
This is a circle cutting jig for a router. One of my customers builds subwoofer boxes and keep breaking his, we hope to make the next one from aluminum to stop this.
View attachment 17038
and then I was finally able to make a grave stone for my former best friend that is worthy of representing her.
View attachment 17039
the gravestone has me in tears :(. I dread the day.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the gravestone has me in tears :(. I dread the day.
The laser is still so new that I have a hard time walking away from it and not watching it make each pass. With this one it was kind of creepy mixed with the fascination as that image slowly came to fruition.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is a point when everything is assembled and you pull off the protective paper that is a little bit of amazement and seems almost like magic to know you just created this. I decided to experiment a little with the logo to see if I could make it two-toned and I wish I had done all the writing like that now.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
After a lot of work to get things up and running I am happy to say that I have enough worked for the next 2 months now in addition to my regular customers. It has been no fun figuring out the red tape between the city/county/state/feds/disability people and I now have posters hung up explaining the rights my employees have and I get to pay taxes :) ! Up until now I have only had one or the other running but this week I have had them both running at the same time more than once and I have say it gives me a strange satisfaction to watch them both do their thing.

and in more good news I posted that video to my facebook page and a guy I knew in high school and I am facebook friends with messaged me to tell me the ABC fire ext I had there was all wrong. He now owns a fairly large company that installs suppression systems in large buildings and said I should really get an inert gas ext to be sure the machines are not ruined by the ext if they are not by the fire. I have known the guy for almost 30 years now but at the most we had friends in common and were facebook friends, I can remember having one conversation since high school when we bumped into each other but that basically it. I sent him a message and asked what one of those would go for figuring he was just making a sale and was surprised when he said "You don't wanna know, but I can hook you up.". Friday he messaged me and said he could be by in 10 mins with it and to my surprise he pulled out a HUGE 17 lb monster and then absolutely refused to take any cash for it and was upset that he couldn't find a hanger for it after he even delivered it. I looked it up it it is an FE36 extinguisher and the cheapest I have seen them for is a grand. Needless to say I owe my new friend a very big favor, not sure how I can pay that back really....

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
to celebrate the good business I decided to put it back into the biz in the form of investing in more tools to expand what I can make. This is called a rotary addition and what it does is disconnects the motors that normally drive the Y-axis(up/down) and turns it into rotations to turn the cup. So with this I can now do tumbler, cups, glasses, vases, cylindrical stuff.
I need to clean the logo out a little bit but I am happy with my new cup.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I realized today that things have been going well enough with the biz that I have been beating my goal the past few months and I have not even been advertising. If things keep up I should be able to pay for the laser in a year and then consider expanding to a fiber laser that can do metal, or possibly a 3d printer. I had a friend that sent her oldest daughter off to purdue this year. They went to a football game and came back asking how big of a sign could I make to go in their/his mancave? After a little time I was able to make this 32" - 46" epoxy filled sign that came out pretty nice. They were happy
GEwF8Jlr.jpg
The buddy that hooked me up with the expensive electronics safe fire ext called up and said he was wanting to get some tumblers made to give to his employees, needless to say I was happy to hook him up.

qDX77Klr.jpg
I can't say its all been roses though one thing I have learned this year now is all the different hats you get to wear to do this. The limit switches on the cnc were an older/mechanical style that break every couple of years and were do to be upgraded to proximity switches that are sealed/solid state and much more reliable. sounds easy and it isn't that bad with the 42 page manual to guide you but you better have a maint hat in your tool box if this has looked like fun so far.
VZPcmwB.jpg

For the classy drinker

for the gun owner that has everything.

I have started to make my own boxes to save on shipping costs so if anyone sees anything they like let me know and we can make it happen.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
BTFU, PURDUE ALUMNI HERE
Their daughter is in the band so they went up for one game and froze their arss off but came back yellin "BOILER UP" at random times like they grew up watching them and suddenly needed the biggest sign I could make. It was a fun project, I am looking into licensing for the future if anyone else is interested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online