Late night street racing

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its lunch time and i drove the car tonight all the way to work with a low tank of gas. I decided it was best to run over to the local 24hr speedway and gas up.

Pulling into the store, a couple of young guys step out of a 2012 45th anniversary camaro, eyeballing my car as they walk in. I trail behind them to pre-pay gas and ill admit admiring his car. Big wheels, big front/rear brakes, midnight blue.

As we stand there at the counter the camaro owner asks me if id lay a $100bill down to quarter mile race. My immediate response is no. The guy responds with friendly trash talk "ah come on, scared". I follow with " im married with 4kids, i haven't had a $100 bill in awhile". He agreed, payed for his stuff, and walks out, but not before me saying "you handing me your $100 bill would be nice tho".

So the boys leave spinning the tires and driving(in my opinion) ignorant. Car sounds great while roasting the tires as he drove off.

I pump gas, drive off putt putting. Now this isnt a big town and only a few places stay open this late, so i figures they headed to McD's. Sure enough....in drive through! So i throw some pipe their way and putt off.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Not far away, next to a Ford dealership is a strip of road i adventure to, knowing he would treck this same path to the highway. I heel toe the car in attemps to warm the tires on this 30° night. I wait another minute...here he comes! Sweeeeeet!

I pull on the highway still attempting to warm the tires and all i could think of at this point... "this guy is going to hand me my ass"!

We're both at a roll, he honks 3times, we punch it.....i obliviat the tires. I pull it into 2nd...obliviat the tires. Luckily the guy is game and slows down. I inform him we gotta do a 50mph dig cause of no traction. He agreed!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
So now we are rolling at 50mph

He honks 3times and we pull. Im in 3rd under 3000rpm, he gets about half a car link jump cause his instantly drops to 2nd. As i wind out 3rd.....im pulling him! I pull to 4th gear and miss....dang it! All is well cause of a few obstacles up ahead. A red light and railroad tracks. We slow over the tracks, roll at 50mph again and dig. As before he jumps half a car, as i wind out 3rd im pulling him and then i shift to 4th and really pull!.....but again, to many obstacles to call who won.

This was an even race.
Im going to say a nice warm day where i can hook...id have him beat.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Guy flashes his lights, i assume he wants to chat so i pull off into a parking lot. I assumed correctly. As we chat he informs to me that i was the first car to pull on him and give him a run. I surrendered to telling him i was sure he would have blown me away.

Guy asks what all ive done to my car. I give him a run down. 5.4l modular, 2v, 274comp cams, npi heads..... About 300rwhp engine.

Guy chuckles and claimed it has more hp than that. He said his car is a 425hp 6.2l.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Should of told him you’d never seen a catfish swim that fast!!!!! [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
This is true! Ill be honest...i like the new camaros, so the thought never crossed my mind.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Traction is a huge equalizer. At a dead stop, a car with traction can surprise a lot of people. At a 50mph roll, with the horsepower you both have, he should pull you easy. With that said, weight plays a roll here and depending on how much lighter your car is, it will help you. Great story and thanks for posting.

Thanks
Michael Plummer

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I figured alot like you do....figured at any hp i muster, he should have took me, but dare i say "mighty 2v"?! It was fun tho.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We all measure to SAE standards BUT.. I have noticed the same thing, I'm at 300 RWHP and I can run with my buddies '13 &'16 Mustangs darn close and my BIL's 392 Hemi. They make excuses and say I'm more than 300 blah, blah, blab. They are all coming in at around 350 RWHP then they weigh a lot more than a 3500 SN95. This is the reason I had for the 300Hp resipie I used with your help in the engine parts selection. Want less wheel spin switch to a Torsen differential, pricey but they dig more than spin. The type 2 comes on the new Mustangs and I have a type 3 in mine.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My spinning problem was cool night, cold tires, 350rwtq off idle.

Torsen...mmmm...very interesting! First time ive heard of it. Did these come stock with the newer mustangs?

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Ford is using the type R2 with the line lock from the factory and I am using the R3 which is a higher ratio and not for drag starts.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Yes, Ford is using the type R2 with the line lock from the factory and I am using the R3 which is a higher ratio and not for drag starts.

Is this the exact same as the standard T2R that is about $800? What is the axle spline?
I need one to go in my 03 IRS before install.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes you need one, but learn which one does what first, power and torque ratings, axel spline counts, Mine are 31 spline, Alloy USA made in India. The good ones are 800.00 and that is the one Ford is using, they do not like full torque drag launches which is why you have to check the specks for how you are going to use it.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Yes you need one, but learn which one does what first, power and torque ratings, axel spline counts, Mine are 31 spline, Alloy USA made in India. The good ones are 800.00 and that is the one Ford is using, they do not like full torque drag launches which is why you have to check the specks for how you are going to use it.

This will be for my '96 Cobra. I'm setting that one up for the road course, auto-cross, and street. Not really planning to have too many drag launches on it. But I will need the 31 spline for the '03 IRS that will be going in it.
I was planning on the T2R from an aftermarket resource. But if I can get the same one for a little cheaper (maybe a wrecked car), that would be great.

I've got the '93 coupe that is set up for the drag strip.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I stand corrected I have the T2R.[FONT=&quot]
[h=1]ASK TORSEN: TYPE-2 VS. T-2R[/h]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Today’s Ask Torsen question comes to us by email from James Stapleton. He asks:
(I) Have seen where you’ve stated that a T-2 might be better suited for open tracking than the T-2R. I do both open track and autocross currently on Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and maybe changing to a 200 treadwear type tire in the near future. Thoughts?
Well James, that’s a great question – and one we’ve been asked a lot over the years. However, it is highly dependent on a number of things: chassis set up, track conditions and degree of technicality, even driver preference, so there is no singular hard and fast answer. The basic essence of the answer, though, is that it’s a matter of what trade-off is best for the situation in question.
As a limited slip differential becomes more aggressive – with a greater degree of lockup (or torque bias ratio) – it has greater resistance to differentiation. This has two influences on the car in the context of what we’re talking about here. First, it affords better resistance to wheel spin, which of course means that the driver can apply more throttle and accelerate faster. Second, it has greater resistance to steer input, at least during turn-in and initial corner exit, because by resisting differentiation, it is also resisting the car’s need to rotate and change direction.
This initial understeer is somewhat mitigated, at corner exit, by resisting inside wheelspin. In so doing, more torque is allowed to go to the outside tire once the inside tire reaches its traction limit than would otherwise be the case. That, in turn, has the effect of generating an understeer-canceling yaw moment on the chassis, serving to actually drive out of the corner with greater authority. But you have to overcome initial understeer to get to that point. This effect is described in more detail elsewhere on this blog.
To boil that all down to the nuts and bolts of the matter, higher TBR can make the car “push” some in a corner, but allows a great deal of corner-exit traction. Lower TBR, on the other hand, can be more neutral-feeling, but potentially lack sufficient traction to prevent inside spin. So, as with any aspect of chassis set-up, it’s a trade-off. Cars with lower torque output (such as a Miata or BRZ) can be comfortable with a lower TBR because they favor nimble response and don’t have the torque to overwhelm the tires. Big-bore cars with big torque output may need the higher TBR of a T-2R model.
However, as noted above, venue plays into it as well. A track that is fast and flowing will probably favor the lower TBR of the standard Type-2. With less dynamic weight transfer in a corner, you don’t need to compromise handling balance based on corner-exit traction. The lower dynamic weight transfer means the inside tire doesn’t become unloaded and loose traction as readily. But a smaller, more technical course – especially in autocross – may force you into a more aggressive differential due to tight corners and high weight transfer. There is a much greater potential to lift an inside tire off the pavement. Frankly, the T-2R owes its existence to autocross. It was due to the complaints of wheelspin and Type-2 not being aggressive enough in that environment that we created the T-2R product line. But again, it comes down to what compromise makes most sense to you.
In your specific case, because you participate in both open track events and autocross, I would probably prefer using the T-2R. It is easier to make some chassis tweaks to compensate for a little extra initial understeer than it is to cope with insufficient traction at corner exit. At least, that would be the approach I would take. Best of luck!

[/FONT]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online