Leak down test

Booboo

Reaction score
I am trying to do a leak down test on my 97 GT. I have a OTC leak down tester that I can't get it to screw into the heads. It screws into a set of 09 crown vic heads I have but not the 97 heads. I assume it is because of the spark plug thread count. The plan is to replace the 97 heads with the 09 heads but I want to do a leak down test first to verify the rings are OK. Any adapters available to make this work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
Couple photos to show what I did.

The non-fouler package came with two units, I cut the end off one, see first photo.
Second photo shows leak-down test hose with it attached. I used a little teflon tape and a o-ring and had no leaks.

Photo Jun 25 2023, 1 55 40 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 25 2023, 1 54 49 PM.jpg

J_lope82

Reaction score
LOL I just did this same thing today a little while ago. My compression tester is one from harbor freight. The non fouler is from autozone

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
I just finished the leakdown test today and it did not go so well. The first 3 cylinders I tested only had 4% loss, I was thinking I was in good shape. Then the next three were 20% and 25% loss with a nice gust of air coming out the PCV hole in the valve cover. So it looks like I am going to be rebuilding the bottom end.

I have non ported PI heads with upgraded springs and valves. Planning on EX262AH camshafts or similar. And a supercharger down the road with a goal of 400-450 wheel HP. I need to do some research and find a good budget rebuild kit. Mabe a stroker??? Any recomendations.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
New rods and pistons matching the blocks machined bores, rings and such to withstand supercharger. Get the pistons intake valve relieved. Stock headgasket, arp headstuds. No reason to port polish for your hp goals. If anything, just get bigger intake valves installed and with aftermarket valve springs.

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
New rods and pistons matching the blocks machined bores, rings and such to withstand supercharger. Get the pistons intake valve relieved. Stock headgasket, arp headstuds. No reason to port polish for your hp goals. If anything, just get bigger intake valves installed and with aftermarket valve springs.
Alread have the +1mm stainless valves and BTR .600 springs. Was planning on a custom ground cam. Just need to figure out what rods and pistons. Eagle makes a cast 3.75" crankshaft, is that worth considering? Im guessing it would be as strong as the stock and not have an problems at the HP levels and keeping the RPM at 6500 max.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Man the coyote rods and icon forged pistons are hard to beat for the price and considering the power level you want, they will hold up fine.

Im personally not a fan of stroking an engine due to reduction of the rod length/stroke ratio, but its debatable, each to their own. If you desire more torque, stroking would be the way to go.

The 4.6l platform forced induced provides plenty of power for the street guy. If you desire king of the street status or you just want to spend money building something, i still dont see the money spent stroking the engine for the returns you get being a street driven car. Either build will still break stuff and have no traction. Now if you were racing or competing the story would be different.

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
Man the coyote rods and icon forged pistons are hard to beat for the price and considering the power level you want, they will hold up fine.

Im personally not a fan of stroking an engine due to reduction of the rod length/stroke ratio, but its debatable, each to their own. If you desire more torque, stroking would be the way to go.
Is the stock crank strong enough? Or should I look into something like a forged cobra crankshaft?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Long as your block is cast iron, youre good to go with a cast crank. I have yet to hear of any crank breakage or damage from hp when use of cast blocks. Truth be told i havent heard of any crank breakage in either cast or aluminum blocks. Im sure their have been tho. Its the block that make these engines sturdy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online