Leaking caliper

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Finished up my front suspension swap today and installed my cobra brakes. When the time came to bleed the brakes, as soon as I started pumping the pedal both front calipers were spewing fluid from underneath the banjo bolt. So we took both hoses off and cleaned the surfaces of the hose/caliper and the copper washers and reinstalled them. Second time around the passenger side held up but the driver was still leaking, so we called it quits for the night. On the driver caliper, when we removed the bolt the first time a little bit of thread came out with it, but when we reinstalled it it still snugged up tight and did not feel to have been stripped out anymore. Is it possible that the caliper is screwed up or maybe I'm just not getting a good seal around the surfaces between the caliper and washer, and washer and brake hose?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Finished up my front suspension swap today and installed my cobra brakes. When the time came to bleed the brakes, as soon as I started pumping the pedal both front calipers were spewing fluid from underneath the banjo bolt. So we took both hoses off and cleaned the surfaces of the hose/caliper and the copper washers and reinstalled them. Second time around the passenger side held up but the driver was still leaking, so we called it quits for the night. On the driver caliper, when we removed the bolt the first time a little bit of thread came out with it, but when we reinstalled it it still snugged up tight and did not feel to have been stripped out anymore. Is it possible that the caliper is screwed up or maybe I'm just not getting a good seal around the surfaces between the caliper and washer, and washer and brake hose?

I commented in your build thread. Anyway, did you install new washers when you swapped them out? They are kind one-time use. I don't ever reuse those once they get broken loose.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I did not, we reused the original washers. First time I've ever worked on the brakes so I didn't know better. Buuut I went ahead and ordered some stainless hoses from MM, so that should remedy my problem I hope.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I did not, we reused the original washers. First time I've ever worked on the brakes so I didn't know better. Buuut I went ahead and ordered some stainless hoses from MM, so that should remedy my problem I hope.

That should fix you up nicely! :thumbsup:

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it figured out! Those copper crush washers are no good twice, once they've been smashed down they don't do their job at completing the seal the second time around. Just throw some new ones on and get them nice and snug

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I hope this is it. After all the time and effort spent on cleaning and painting the brakes I'd hate to have to get a new caliper and strip and repaint it. Plus I'm ready to drive my freakin car home lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online