learn me about tranny's? No kaitlyne please...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have slowly been upgrading everything on the car. Now with the Vortech/heads/cam I am aiming for 400hp with the stock bottom end. I am waiting for the parts for the suspension upgrade to show up now. Once the bottom end and tranny can handle it I wouldn't mind possibly turning it up but more important I just want to make everything as durable and dependable as possible. As little as I know about motors, I know less about tranny's. What is there to know, stay away from and what should I plan on when I upgrade the manual I have? Do we have any 6 speed options?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
D&D performance makes a t56 for the sn95 last I looked it's like 4k or something for everything it comes with a drive shaft and everything the wiring for the reverse lock out .
Or or you could look into the Astro A5 or the Gforce t5 like I run which is probably at its limits for my power range but will get to that at another time . These transmissions you can use the stock bell housing and everything or get a scatter sheild . I went this way to keep wait down its good for 600ft lbs. rebuilt kits with their internals are available as well. Or they offer there own aftermarket casing trans built and ready to go.

Next up is the tko 600's another solid tranny a little heavier . Personally I don't like how they shift .also requires a different shifter then the one you have currently .

Or you could make the switch to auto and do a built lentech aod or 4r70w

BOOOSTD

Reaction score
Just for reference, the T56 swap with a Quicktime Bellhousing will add about 54lbs. That's what mine worked out to be; but just having that extra gear alone was worth it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just for reference, the T56 swap with a Quicktime Bellhousing will add about 54lbs. That's what mine worked out to be; but just having that extra gear alone was worth it.

I think it would be as well which is why I asked. I like to have my cake and eat it too. I can make up for a little extra weight if the tranny could handle the power...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not quite that heavy you can still lift t56's in my yourself no problem . With a tranny jack it's to easy

BOOOSTD

Reaction score
^^ I would say budget for 3-4k for a used setup installed; I think that's where I landed. However, there are some variables that could increase or decrease the price. For example I already had an aluminum driveshaft on my car, so it was sent out - shortened and high speed balanced for $200 and it works perfect!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.