Learning Manual

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
So, just as the title says. I'm learning manual on my 98 GT, and I was wondering if any veteran driver have any tips and advice for me? I don't have my license yet (just the permit) and the only other car I've been learning in is a 2015 Nissan Rouge. I understand cars, and how manual works and how a transmission works, so its not a lack of understanding, just a lack of practice. Any advice?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think the biggest part to learn is just slowly release the clutch and when it starts to grab, slow down even more or stop moving the clutch and it will take off from there and you can release it. mustangs are not hard to learn on.

Venompower

Reaction score
Go to a large parking lot by yourself, and just practice over and over... like ttocs said, you really just need to learn the clutch release and practice how much gas pedal you need to use to prevent the car from stalling. If a section of the parking lot has an incline that would be a good place to practice taking off on a hill.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I taught a few people how to drive a stick. If you can get somebody who knows how so drive one to go with you, that would be great. I would go to an empty parking lot and start by sitting in the passenger side and handle the shifting while the newbie just had to worry about the clutch. Then, I would drive and let them use the shifter. That way, they aren't learning two new things at the same time. Once they were comfortable with the clutch and the shifte separately, I would ride shotgun while they practiced doing both.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
yep I've got someone who knows manual teaching me, its just a little infuriating because I've been working on my cars for years and I'm working on a path to be a technician, but cant get the damn hang of actually driving the things lol

92wastheyear

Reaction score
All it takes is practice. It is totally a feel thing. It is bit like a golf swing, in that when you first start, you are thinking about every movement you're making. But soon, with practice, the movements will become more automatic and then, out of nowhere you will have "ah-ha" moment and realize that you have figured it out.

PS it is way easier than a golf swing, fyi

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yep I've got someone who knows manual teaching me, its just a little infuriating because I've been working on my cars for years and I'm working on a path to be a technician, but cant get the damn hang of actually driving the things lol
is it the gas or clutch that is givin ya problems? If you let the clutch out slow enough you really do not even need to give it gas. Just slowly let it out and as soon as it starts to grab stop moving it and it will pull itself forward.

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Just keep practicing the slow clutch release until it starts grabbing and give it a little gas (Just enough to prevent the stall) and then resume letting out the clutch slow.

Definitely a feel it out type thing and you will get more efficient and automatic in the release. Just one of those things that takes time and reps to master. You will be fine in no time just don't get to frustrated and understand that this is something you are new to and it takes some time to learn and become comfortable with.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
is it the gas or clutch that is givin ya problems? If you let the clutch out slow enough you really do not even need to give it gas. Just slowly let it out and as soon as it starts to grab stop moving it and it will pull itself forward.
he had me giving to no gas and just letting the clutch out slow to feel the bite point of it, it's got enough torque that I don't need to give it any gas to get it rolling.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
Just keep practicing the slow clutch release until it starts grabbing and give it a little gas (Just enough to prevent the stall) and then resume letting out the clutch slow.

Definitely a feel it out type thing and you will get more efficient and automatic in the release. Just one of those things that takes time and reps to master. You will be fine in no time just don't get to frustrated and understand that this is something you are new to and it takes some time to learn and become comfortable with.
yeah I'm trying lol its just hard because I already know a lot about cars and how they work but cant drive it haha

Venompower

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to err on the side of more gas pedal than less when first learning. Once you have gotten some seat time in without frequent stalls you will naturally start to get the hang of it and find that you get smoother and smoother with less throttle needed. If you focus on giving it as little gas pedal as possible you may get frustrated from frequently stalling.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to err on the side of more gas pedal than less when first learning. Once you have gotten some seat time in without frequent stalls you will naturally start to get the hang of it and find that you get smoother and smoother with less throttle needed. If you focus on giving it as little gas pedal as possible you may get frustrated from frequently stalling.
I’ve tried that but if I give it even a little extra gas I squeal the hell outta the tires.

Venompower

Reaction score
I’ve tried that but if I give it even a little extra gas I squeal the hell outta the tires.
That's normally more indicative of releasing the clutch pedal to fast. The engine will make more noise with more throttle on take off, but as long as you are smoothly releasing the clutch the tires shouldn't squeal.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its all about the clutch like I said you do not need to give it gas to get it moving if you release the clutch slow enough. I am not recommending to do this at a light or on a hill but by doing this you will get use to how the clutch feels and when it grabs. Just let it out slowly and when it starts to pull, slow down more for just a little longer and then it will be moving.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
Its all about the clutch like I said you do not need to give it gas to get it moving if you release the clutch slow enough. I am not recommending to do this at a light or on a hill but by doing this you will get use to how the clutch feels and when it grabs. Just let it out slowly and when it starts to pull, slow down more for just a little longer and then it will be moving.
Yeah, thats how i've been trying to do it recently.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online