Learning my baby

Reaction score
I don't know where to put the full story here, but Ruby is my mustang I am the second owner, it's my 4th mustang 1st 5.0 this car has been excellent since I got it in 09 but it likes deer, that put her down for a few years, I got her running with help about 2 years ago and everything was great for a stock car that had sat that long it was strong to the spankings I gave it. I noticed that I had a leak on my water pump one day (indicating that it was going bad) with help we changed it.... that's when the trouble started, it has the runs fine, then runs like crap condition now. I've been following this forum, been watching YouTube (chris fix is the one who gave me the confidence to save money and do things myself) but most of the time my issues have so many different possible culprits, I never know which route to take. I pulled the ecu a few weekends ago and found at least 2 burnt or blown capacitors, so I put in a refurbished one 2 days ago it runs slightly better but still wants to go back to the surging idle, I'm going to check vacuum today because I replaced most of the under fender and engine vac lines when changing injectors and dressing the motor. I'm ready for my lashes I just need some guidance please, thanks

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I would help you, but im more of a modular guy. Their are a few 5.0l guys here willing to help you out and im positive they will chime in soon.

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
I would help you, but im more of a modular guy. Their are a few 5.0l guys here willing to help you out and im positive they will chime in soon.
Thanks, for an update, my fuel pressure is 30 when I disconnected the vacuum line on top of the regulator it increased by 10 as the diagnostic test said it should, I ran my koeo test and only received 2 codes. 564 (electro drive fan circuit fault) koeo code and 212 (loss of ignition diagnostic monitor signal/ spout circuit ground) continuous memory code. It started out running good like it did the other day when I put the new ecu in, but then started acting like it was choking. I'm hearing a chirpy type noise from my pulleys, I'm going to check out the compressor and smog pulleys tomorrow, I got rained out

Wmac

Reaction score
Chirping sound could be the tension itself. And a diy smoke tester is a must to finding vacuum leaks. Lots of info on youtube.

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
the fan is def something to check out but the 2nd one could be the reason its running strange.
The fan code is a first, but I've been getting the 212 since I got the reader, I was actually hoping that the ecu replacement would clear that one, but I guess I'll look up a diagnostic test for the spout plug, and check the ignition components (most of those have recently been replaced but new doesn't really mean it works when it comes to electrical) is it possible the plug itself is messed up, it comes in and out the socket really easily, another thing I'm starting to wonder, there's a single connector that goes on the alternator that's warped and doesn't really seat well. Got lots to look forward to tomorrow if it doesn't rain

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Chirping sound could be the tension itself. And a diy smoke tester is a must to finding vacuum leaks. Lots of info on youtube.
Ok, I replaced the tension pulley with a polished aluminum one but I had to fabricate a bushing to get it to work, then my neighbor dropped a socket in the belts while checking the timing the other day, and from the looks of the pulley it went under the belt at one point, I'll check them all tomorrow to make sure my bearing and bushing is still seated and nothing is loose or seizing up

Wmac

Reaction score
I meant to say the actual tensioner above. Sorry if it mislead you. When mine lost its tension, it chirped loudly. Noise was distinct and irritating.

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Is the distributor original?
No, but pretty sure it's OEM, at some point we were led to believe it was the cam position sensor after ordering 2 from 2 different places ( because of the wait time) and finally receiving one, we found out that the parts store didn't have a clue cause both of them sold me the CPS for a v6, we figured out what we needed to replace was on the distributor shaft, and it would need to be pulled off with something like a wheel puller, or I could replace the entire distributor for cheaper, this was however after we had earlier replaced the distributor cap and rotor, so now I have those as a spare, my ignition coil however is not oem.

muzzy25

Reaction score
The fan code is a first, but I've been getting the 212 since I got the reader, I was actually hoping that the ecu replacement would clear that one, but I guess I'll look up a diagnostic test for the spout plug, and check the ignition components (most of those have recently been replaced but new doesn't really mean it works when it comes to electrical) is it possible the plug itself is messed up, it comes in and out the socket really easily, another thing I'm starting to wonder, there's a single connector that goes on the alternator that's warped and doesn't really seat well. Got lots to look forward to tomorrow if it doesn't rain
Mine only showed 212 after replacing ignition modjuel with an after market one?

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Yes control module used another one with more dwell
Purple wire from from module to spout to ecu
Had it in for 8 yrs haven't had a problem
Scan coder only picks it up?
Dwell? What brand did you go with and is that listed on the part stats, and just to be sure I'm not confusing names your talking about the card bus/memory card thing in the aluminum cradle under the air filter chamber

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Yes control module used another one with more dwell
Purple wire from from module to spout to ecu
Had it in for 8 yrs haven't had a problem
Scan coder only picks it up?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-115605_Google-picsay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-115605_Google-picsay.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210622-115605_Google-picsay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-115605_Google-picsay.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Sorry for doing that more than once it told me it didn't go the first couple times

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99