Learning the hard way.

Passenger

Reaction score
As the topic title states, I'm learning what to do, and what not to do the hard way. Last night, I was taking a friend of mine for a ride in the '95 for the first time. Since I had just gotten my drag radials taken off the back, and replaced with some Kumho Escta's, I decided to break them in with a little burnout, and show him some of what it had. I was holding it around 4500 in first or so, and he asked me if I could grab second and still keep 'em spinning. Hell, I wasn't real sure, so I tried it for him. Nice quick shift into second, and off I went. Hell I thought it was spinning.

WRONG.

Realized it wasn't, so I went back into first, and got em goin again, power shifted to second and tried, nothing. Revved a little and let the clutch out, nothing. So I quit. I was about 1/2 a mile from my house, so we went home for a few to grab some stuff. Was pulling this hill before I get to my house, and the fucking clutch begins to slip. :noes: Got her home safely, and she sat from about 4am till almost 8:30 this afternoon. Got in it, low and behold the clutch is releasing like 2" higher and it sucks gopher nuts. Wasn't slipping though, so I was a little relieved.

A few friends came over, and I let one of them that has driven the car before drive it again to see if the clutch was actually releasing different, or if it was all in my head. He agreed it is releasing alot higher. About 4 hours went by and I was out in town with a buddy whom has a 03 Cobra. We pull out from a redlight, we both get on it a little bit and the mother ****** slips again. Slipped all the way home. If your driving 100% normal, it will not slip, but if you give it about 60% throttle or more, it begins to slip.

Fuck :(

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
you know you can start a burnout in second gear....have fun puttin in a new clutch. i recommend a king cobra, they aren't too much more than a stock one and are much better IMO.

OP
OP
P

Passenger

Reaction score
Yeah I knew that, but oh well. I just got the car 3 weeks ago too :(

The car currently has a Zoom Kevlar clutch in it, which I really like the way it feels.

Tranny will be pulled soon to replace the snap ring and locker for 4th gear, and put heli-coils in the Pro5.0 so it doesn't try to come undone again, so I might just wait until then to replace the clutch. Its just a pleasure car, and I've got a DD, so waiting won't completley kill me, just gives me a good reason to change some other things on the car.

Downshift

Reaction score
Ya my old car was doing the same slipping thing, if you gave it anymore throttle then normal driving it would slip BAD. I actually still have the clutch because the disc was about the explode from the looks of it, and the pressure plate had about almost a quarter inch groove all the way around it haha.

I would suggest while your in there replaceing the rear main, pilot bearing and getting a lightweight alum. flywheel. Live and learn man, I got pissed one day leaving work and blew out my reverse gear.

S

scarface

have you attempted to adjust the clutch, Or have you just ruled it as dead?

OP
OP
P

Passenger

Reaction score
Nah, I haven't tried yet. I looked for an adjustable quadrant or firewall adjuster Saturday before I posted this, and my car doesn't have one. The previous owner told me that the car has an aftermarket quadrant with an adjuster near the clutch fork, so I need to check that out when I'm swapping driveshafts out this weekend.

S

scarface

Passenger said:
Nah, I haven't tried yet. I looked for an adjustable quadrant or firewall adjuster Saturday before I posted this, and my car doesn't have one. The previous owner told me that the car has an aftermarket quadrant with an adjuster near the clutch fork, so I need to check that out when I'm swapping driveshafts out this weekend.
yes there is one near the clutch fork, under the metal shield...

looks like this.
clutch002.jpg

your symptoms sound exactly the way mt Centerforce did on my 97gt when it was out of adjustment.

Tighten the cable till you can only move the clutch fork 1/8th inch back and forth, that should put the TO bearing where you want it for the max life of all the components.

S

scarface

see the threads near the fork...hold the cable with vise grips, and tighten the nut on the other side of the fork :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online