LED brake light and turn signal conversion issues

Pittsn95

Reaction score
Just installed some LED bulbs for the turn signals and brake lights on my 94. Also installed the diode dynamics LED conversion relay. When car is off the LEDs work perfect (no hyper blinking) but when I have the car running I get a constant buzzing sound from the turn signal relay (hazards and turn signals). Has anyone else encountered this and how did you fix it? Pretty lost here. Electronics are not my strong suit.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just out of stupidity, check your fuses. Don't bother with the manual it honestly takes less then a minute to pull/inspect every fuse or to run a meter down them, takes way longer to try and figure out the one the manual says. Not sure what fuse would blow to cause this but we need to start simple. This is strange...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
WwwhooooAaaaaaa.........that’s really weird.

I’m not sure a blown fuse would cause that but I’m still with Scott. Check each and let’s go from there. You could also meter each of the wires going to the relay when the engines off and then do the same when it’s on. This may help you to find what the difference is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Pittsn95

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll start with checking all the fuses. For some additional info, there might also be a bad/loose ground behind the drivers kick panel. Occasionally I get engine noise coming through the stereo. Would this also be something that could cause this?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes a bad ground could cause it but it’s still weird how it’s only happening when it runs.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
think of it as an added option, an audible blinker reminder. Now there is no way in hell you will be the guy driving down the road forgetting his blinker is on. Sorry but I got nothing but bad humor really until we do some measuring

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
think of it as an added option, an audible blinker reminder. Now there is no way in hell you will be the guy driving down the road forgetting his blinker is on. Sorry but I got nothing but bad humor really until we do some measuring

I was thinking that when watching the video!!!!! [emoji1787]

OP
OP
P

Pittsn95

Reaction score
So, I tested all of the fuses and they are all good. I did a voltage test with the car off and the car on through the relay negative terminal to ground. Car off is 12V car on is 14.8V

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
look on the bottom of the relay and you will see some small numbers, 85, 86, 87, 87a and 30. 85 and 86 should be on the opposite side of each other. Stick the leads of your meter in those sockets of the relay and see what it reads with the key off and on.

OP
OP
P

Pittsn95

Reaction score
look on the bottom of the relay and you will see some small numbers, 85, 86, 87, 87a and 30. 85 and 86 should be on the opposite side of each other. Stick the leads of your meter in those sockets of the relay and see what it reads with the key off and on.

I'm not seeing any of these numbers on the relay. Here is a picture of stock left and diode dynamics on the right

Attachments

• 20190912_222628.jpg
    20190912_222628.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 15

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ah go figure they change the pin numbers. I happen to have mine behind me torn apart to modify let me get my meter out and see if I can figure out the coil pins.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
ah go figure they change the pin numbers. I happen to have mine behind me torn apart to modify let me get my meter out and see if I can figure out the coil pins.
It's probably on the socket. I have a box of relays I picked up for random use. The relay isn't numbered but the socket is. And it's the numbers you posted earlier.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sorry for the delay I have been sick and unable to get out to get my manual. And now that I got it, there isn't much help as it just shows the wires going into the flasher but not what they do inside.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Anytime you have a buzzing noise or whine that changes pitch with different rpm only when the engine is running, check your alternator. A blown diode in the voltage regulator will allow AC voltage into a DC system which also feed back through the speakers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online