LED Exterior Swap

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have been wanting to do this for awhile... Since I got the new clear signal lights its a good excuse to do it.

Want to LED swap;
-Signal lights
-Taillgihts (Horizontals)
-Reverse lights
-3rd brake lights

-Fog lights? (not sure if I should LED swap or HID)

I'm not going to do switchbacks for the signals since I don't think I'll do HID unless I retrofit projectors. Or is it worth upgrading to HID without projectors? Just don't want it to look stupid, blind people and get me tickets (a few local people have got tickets for stock housing HID)

Bulb sizes;
3157A (Signal - 2) - orange
3157 (Tail - how many?) - red
3156 (reverse - 2) - white
912? (3rd -how many?) - red

893 (fog -2?)

Any brand recommendations? I will not do business with superbright again.

Correct?

Do I need anything fancy for the LEDs?
I think I'll avoid the resistors by replacing the flasher module. EP27 correct? and I just find one for LEDs?

Am I missing anything? ttocs DeepList

Cpotts13

Reaction score
ep27 is the correct part from autozone.. I am hugely against HIDs in stock housings.. so id get projectors if i wanted HIDs. I just cant stand the light scattered everywhere.. Im interested in the led swap as well... just looking for a cheaper alternative then the expensive american muscle swaps.... ebay is a good resource so ive heard.. although I have always bought my LEDs from super bright and they have always been flawless..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
don't forget leds in the corners will mean you either need to swap out the flasher or insert resistors.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Correct. Put in the EP27 flasher and skip ****ing around with resistors all together.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I highly recommend CREE LEDs, I have them in my corner lights and I'm very happy with them.

Yeah, that's what I've been looking into. What exactly are Cree?

Edit: Cree as in a brand or style of light? I see both

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Cree is a brand. I'd suggest any LEDs you get that they are SMD. Also they sell very high power kits for headlights and fog lights but man they are expensive compared to what HIDs cost at this point. also in general the higher the watts the brighter they are, a lot of times they give you a lumen rating that I try to get at least as bright as the halogen counterpart. My corner lights are only 5w and are pretty bright but now they make some way higher than that.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cree is a brand. I'd suggest any LEDs you get that they are SMD.
So any of the ebay brands that claim to be Cree would be fine?

Or did you buy from a specific place.

I've used Jtech for the interior of my car. Have been happy with them.

Not sure if I should just get the single

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-T25-3157-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d9683442

or ones with side too

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-x-T25-3157...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c34dfffe8

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
So any of the ebay brands that claim to be Cree would be fine?

Or did you buy from a specific place.

I've used Jtech for the interior of my car. Have been happy with them.

Not sure if I should just get the single

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-T25-3157-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d9683442

or ones with side too

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-x-T25-3157...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c34dfffe8

yeah I just got my CREE ones off eBay. I went with the front and side ones cause i wanted the fullest spread in my corner lenses, but I guess it depends on the look you want. Here's a close up of mine, kind of an older style now with the pair of SMDs around the base.

LEDbulb.jpg

LEDs.jpg

9838stang

Reaction score
I was looking to the 96-98 led sequential kit from cjpony, but I can't justify spending 250 for a light kit... Specially since I have a sequential kit now.

But for reverse lights I went this route
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191005335919?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm still looking into a kit like cjpony, but for now I am looking at doing an hid to LED swap for the head lights... Since I'm using the hi/low system for the hid kit I'll have to splice in the LED kit into the HID harness... My HID kit had the 9007 connector and them the hid bulbs are h1 size. I'll have to find the h1 led along with the led fog lights too

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
by using the H1 harness and your HID harness I am pretty sure you will need to cut the hid harness up to work and ruin it for resale. If you stuck on the led light to replace your hids I would get the same stock connectors your hid came with so you can sell them.

Honestly the led aftermarket lighting for head/fog lights is still in its early stages and I will wait till all the bugs are worked out by you beta testers.

9838stang

Reaction score
In order to use my projector hi low feature, the work off of the his hi low"bixenon" harness. I might have another laying around somewhere. But if I do not, I won't mid much on the resale end. These ballasts are 3-4 years old. But I need to the hi love feature on the hid harness to work the flap inside of the projector. So yea I would splice it in before the ballast, but after the hi/low relay.

9838stang

Reaction score
All I would need to do is cut it at the connector before it got to the ballast. Should be pretty easy from there

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I need to get some LED reverse lights before spring time

Does anyone have pics on the front led marker bulbs with the lights off?

9838stang

Reaction score
Those look like the ebay kits i have my eye one. The kits i found are 65- 80 bucks though. they look exactly the same...

samc

Reaction score
Here's something I wasn't aware of; the cruise control has to "see" the resistance of incandescent brake lights to work. A full LED tail light replacement means no working cruise control unless you use the resistors, which might not work either, depending; haven't tried that and not going to, too many other issues with resistors. Disappointing. I've got a set of 13 watt 3157R's cheap, throw in license plate bulbs with it. PM me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online