led head lights

philly101

Reaction score
any one have any led head lights or I should say use them what are the pro an cons I'm thinking about get a set since I have no head lights an if I do is there a type I should get

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have seen on TV where they were doing a camparision on a plug and play set of LED's.
When you first install them they might seem brighter when your right in front of the car. But what really matters is how far down the road can you see and that's where the LED's fall short. And that's because the h/l housing isn't made to reflect the light properly for long range nite vision. Similiar to the way HID's don't work as well in stock housing vs a retrofit HID housing that made to focus the light.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Q) When you first install them they might seem brighter when your right in front of the car.
A) I have these LED headlights on my car: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9007LED/Mustang-Headlight-LED-Bulb-Kit-94-04 and they do seem brighter in front of my garage door but on the roadway they fall short. And yes, I had they aligned correctly at a local shop that has an alignment board.

Q) But what really matters is how far down the road can you see and that's where the LED's fall short.
A) Absolutely correct.

Q) And that's because the h/l housing isn't made to reflect the light properly for long range nite vision. Similiar to the way HID's don't work as well in stock housing vs a retrofit HID housing that made to focus the light.
A) You're on fire, correct again.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
At this point I still see them as more gimmick then good product and I think everyone knows I love new electronics technology. Last time I read and looked closely they were not as bright as HID, almost but not yet. So I can't justify switching over. I am also curious to see the long term tests on these systems. Seems like you would almost need to design a housing not only for the light but also for the heat sink behind it that cools the system. As michael pointed out that not only are our housings not able to properly deal with the light in the front they are also not able to deal with the head in the back.

OP
OP
P

philly101

Reaction score
This is the kit i was looking athttp://www.ledheadlightspro.com/mustang-early-model/dual-beams-bi-led-9007-full-led-headlights-kit-for-ford-mustang-early-model-1996/ would the lights work will a projector headlight housing

Cpotts13

Reaction score
My absolute pet peeve is people who put hids/LEDs in halogen housings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
this is the first one I have seen advertising that they are brighter then HID. %50 higher seems a bit high honestly. All the leds bulbs are made for projectors just like HID. I mean if your hids go out and you have $150 burning a hole in your pocke then go for it. Butif you think your going to put them and notice the same difference you had going from halogen to hid I would get ready for disappointment. If they are brighter the difference would probably be pretty minor, I don't think your car friends will be all that impressed that you got them and it will certainly not make it easier to pick up pussy or drop their panties. I keep seeing people that are just soooo excited about led headlights that you would think that it was as cool as a light saber or something. They are just lights people. Really really expensive lights that will probably cost 1/3 that price and have a better product in a year or two.........

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
At this point I still see them as more gimmick then good product and I think everyone knows I love new electronics technology. Last time I read and looked closely they were not as bright as HID, almost but not yet. So I can't justify switching over. I am also curious to see the long term tests on these systems. Seems like you would almost need to design a housing not only for the light but also for the heat sink behind it that cools the system. As michael pointed out that not only are our housings not able to properly deal with the light in the front they are also not able to deal with the head in the back.

I concur. Seems like this guy is already having trouble w his. http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?70321-12v-Ballast
If there's a legitimate way to make it work it might be worth it if it wasn't too pricey.
I went from 20 yr old headlights to lmr sve 94-98 GT headlights the vision was better but it wasn't anything like a "modern car."
jean-luc picard vs james kirk?

Don't Sext and Drive.

OP
OP
P

philly101

Reaction score
How much are you trying to spend? Pro's better vision. Cons more money. What "look" are you going for? Are you trying to keep a stock appearance or are you looking to"spruce"things up a bit? https://lmr.com/products/94-04-Mustang-Headlights#9961https://lmr.com/products/94-04-Mustang-Headlights#9958https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9007LED/Mustang-Headlight-LED-Bulb-Kit-94-04Don't Sext and Drive.
some how i missed your post i was looking to spend about 350 on the the head light an bulbs.I do wanna spruce thing up but dont it to look ricey if you kno wha i mean

OP
OP
P

philly101

Reaction score
Nuttinbutcrumbs i think thats the biggest thing my 06 TL lights are ten times better then my hids in my stang

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
some how i missed your post i was looking to spend about 350 on the the head light an bulbs.I do wanna spruce thing up but dont it to look ricey if you kno wha i mean

I hear ya on the "ricey" thing. My oem lights were all yellow and cloudy and I just went back with stock style 94-98 sve headlights. Nothin fancy but looks new.

Don't Sext and Drive.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
My absolute pet peeve is people who put hids/LEDs in halogen housings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

i put HIDs in my halogen projector housings and they work well. Haven't been flashed once and there is a distinct "cut off" in the beam pattern. It's not very crisp as with a true projector but it's not bad.

Its plainly obvious when its done, I am sure you see it coming at you as well. It bugs me as well as they are always right on the line of too much but I am not going to flash them and the people around them just so they can flash me back to show they are not using their brights. I am sure most of the people would almost see it as an award that their low lights are brighter then everyone around them.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
i put HIDs in my halogen projector housings and they work well. Haven't been flashed once and there is a distinct "cut off" in the beam pattern. It's not very crisp as with a true projector but it's not bad.

Its plainly obvious when its done, I am sure you see it coming at you as well. It bugs me as well as they are always right on the line of too much but I am not going to flash them and the people around them just so they can flash me back to show they are not using their brights. I am sure most of the people would almost see it as an award that their low lights are brighter then everyone around them.
Can one run HID's in the stock lights? What's required, something like this?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid-dual-beam-kit-9007.html
I wonder if the briefcase is included? I'd kinda hope so for that price.
Don't Sext and Drive.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
No need to pay that much for them. Ive only used cheap eBay specials and haven't had any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.