LED Headlights? Anyone run them?

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Would like to hear some feed back if anybody is running a LED bulb conversion in a 9007 head light housing? Is there a ton of glare? Can you see better at night? Would lights be more focused in cobra style housing? Let me know guys...

Nate

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We have had a few threads about this, but I still don't think anyone has done a pound for pound comparison to incandescent bulbs.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Yeah since LED technology is fairly new I wanted to give them a try. I'm tired of wasting my money on HID kits that blow out every 2 years. My only concern is that LED's could potentially become flood lights depending on the housing. If its in a projector it is more controlled but into a halogen housing you could be blinding the world at night.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
From the few I have seen do it, the output is better than stock type bulb, not as good as HID.

Those high end cars with nice LED headlights are much better quality than what you are going to find for $ 100 retro-fit kit.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
From the few I have seen do it, the output is better than stock type bulb, not as good as HID.

Those high end cars with nice LED headlights are much better quality than what you are going to find for $ 100 retro-fit kit.

Agreed. I've been using 55w DDM kits for the past 5-6 years. The morimoto kits are way better, since I do not drive the 96 like I use too I wanted to try something new. I know the cobra housing has a more focused reflector than the GT housing so it makes me wonder...

I have depo projectors in my car right now but the corner lamps are showing a lot of age. I was thinking of scraping the lighting and start from scratch again. Or I could find new smoked corner lamps and buy 9005 low beam LED lights and retro-fit them into my projector housing, so I got a few options right now.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like my DDM kits and will stay with them unless I buy a legit retro setup.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
The DDM kits have gotten better over the years but i'm tired of the ballasts going out. It could be just the nature of the system since they are operating at a higher wattage (55w).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
everything I have seen says the conversion kits are no where near as bright as hid. I have not had an HID system go out on me but then I did not get the cheapest I could find either

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
You're rich and they are cheap so order new ones :hidesbehindsofa:

LOL. I'm still paying back school loans and getting married at the end of the summer.

everything I have seen says the conversion kits are no where near as bright as hid. I have not had an HID system go out on me but then I did not get the cheapest I could find either

HID is way brighter, but I like the simplicity of the LED kits compared to extra harness you have to run with HID. This wouldn't even be a topic if I didn't have smoked headlights but they look so good.

DFG_magic

Reaction score
You are aware of the room behind your DEPO projectors. Or the lack thereof. Be very careful when choosing an LED kit that will actually fit behind the housings. Most with built in fans will not fit. The flux type cooling LED's may work. Most OEM LED's I have seen have an in-depth reflector type housing that I'm assuming properly directs the scattered LED light output where it needs to be. Even then, the new Explorer's i've driven with LED's are very bright and full of light, but still scattered.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Thanks for insight, I was thinking of replacing the depo's since they are old with new updated 9007 style headlights with LED technology. The smoked headlights are terrible at spreading light but I love the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Only reason I ask is I'm on a quest for better, updated lighting as well. At the same time keeping with the lines and style of the car. Gonna be tough. I'm going to try 55w HID's in my DEPO's.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Which lights do you have in mind? Housing wise. Any pics?

I'm looking into the 9007 SVE Smoked Headlights that LMR has on their website. They are out of stock but I am waiting for them to come in so I can order it.

Only reason I ask is I'm on a quest for better, updated lighting as well. At the same time keeping with the lines and style of the car. Gonna be tough. I'm going to try 55w HID's in my DEPO's.

This is my current setup right now but my harness it not cooperating with the 55w HID's in my depo headlights. I depinned the harness from the 30a relay's to 40a relay's but I keep blowing relays. The bulbs and ballasts are fine though....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your blowing 40 amp relays something is wrong. HID takes some current when charging the ballast but after that they settle down and take much less then halogen. What is listed as the max current rating for the hids?

DFG_magic

Reaction score
I'm looking into the 9007 SVE Smoked Headlights that LMR has on their website. They are out of stock but I am waiting for them to come in so I can order it.

This is my current setup right now but my harness it not cooperating with the 55w HID's in my depo headlights. I depinned the harness from the 30a relay's to 40a relay's but I keep blowing relays. The bulbs and ballasts are fine though....

I just ordered those SVE lights from the LMR ebay store! About 2 hours ago! I did however look at their website and noticed they were out of stock at the moment. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Seems like they will be back in stock soon though. Showing June 20th.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
if your blowing 40 amp relays something is wrong. HID takes some current when charging the ballast but after that they settle down and take much less then halogen. What is listed as the max current rating for the hids?

Your right. I wish you can see if I wired them up correctly. There is main harness running from battery and 9007 socket to power up the harness. The harness splits into 4 pieces: two for low beam, two for high-beam. The high beam wasn't tampered with so they work fine. The problem is that I can't get the HIDS to fire properly. It would be either the left or the right side, then I will pull a click on the headlight knob and other will fire up. I depinned the 30a connector in the same fashion I hooked up the 40a connector but after a while the relays mess up and dont work. Super Annoying...lol...

I just ordered those SVE lights from the LMR ebay store! About 2 hours ago! I did however look at their website and noticed they were out of stock at the moment. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Seems like they will be back in stock soon though. Showing June 20th.

Yes, the rep sent me a email that they will be in stock on the 20th. I am going to place a order soon.

DFG_magic

Reaction score

Ohh well, probably should have just ordered through the site rather than eBay. I may luck up and find that they had one last set in stock. If not, i'll be waiting with you till the backorder lifts.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Ohh well, probably should have just ordered through the site rather than eBay. I may luck up and find that they had one last set in stock. If not, i'll be waiting with you till the backorder lifts.

post pics or on the gram if you get them first. I know Tony is rocking a set on his silver coupe, looks badass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online