led tail light conversion 1994

daltonduree

Reaction score
so I bought everything that's included in the raxiom mustang led taillight conversion kit that American muscle caries for sn95 mustangs. I went to install it on my 94gt and everything went haywire. no mater where I put the load/resistor it wouldn't come out of the hyper flash mode. I then noticed that the American muscle kit only is for 96-98. why will it not work on a 94? is there anything I can do to make it work or do I just deal with the antique looking yellow bulbs?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn't you just put leds in instead of the bulbs?

What exactly are you trying to do. What is the AM led taillight conversion?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Putting LED bulbs in should make no difference in HOW the lights function. The only thing that chances is the hyper-flash because your flasher module thinks there's blown bulb(s) which is why the resister loads are needed to simulate regular bulbs.

So, you can either:

A) Put the resistors on at each bulb socket.
and/or
B) Replace the flasher module with one that doesn't have the "hyper-flash" silliness.

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
so the resisters need to be on each bulb? that's different than what the kit comes with. so in total for four rear turn siginal bulbs ill need four resistors?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's no just ebay bulbs you can plug in there like the rest of the car?

nvm deeplist got it covered

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I tried explaining this already, but since you took an "auto electrical engineering class" you already knew... *sigh*

The resistors are used as a load to simulate a regular bulb being in the socket. When you replace the filament bulb with a LED bulb, it pulls significantly less wattage, thus triggering the signal flasher module to think there's a blown bulb somewhere.

You have to place the resistors at EACH BULB SOCKET for every bulb that you switch to LED or replace the flasher module with one that doesn't have hyperflash and skip all the resistor crap.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
it may not need resistors at each bulb but the turn signals are made up of 3-4 lights so you may need more than one if you're switching all of them to LED.

like Deeplist said though you can buy LED flashers that should plug in and work fine with them.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I would take the 2nd route and just replace the flasher module. When you put the LEDs in, you're saving a lot of energy over using the standard bulbs. The whole purpose of the resisters is to "trick" the flasher module into thinking there's regular bulbs in there. They take the extra energy that you're supposed to be saving and turn it into wasted heat. Besides, popping the flasher module out and putting a new one in takes 30 seconds... far less time that fiddling with resistors and splicing into your wires.

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
Personally, I would take the 2nd route and just replace the flasher module. When you put the LEDs in, you're saving a lot of energy over using the standard bulbs. The whole purpose of the resisters is to "trick" the flasher module into thinking there's regular bulbs in there. They take the extra energy that you're supposed to be saving and turn it into wasted heat. Besides, popping the flasher module out and putting a new one in takes 30 seconds... far less time that fiddling with resistors and splicing into your wires.

alright. now that you explained it I understand. where can I get one of these flashers that doesn't cost 50 bucks?

wait. couldn't I just install a regular old relay and have it do the same thing as those hyperflash free relays?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The number for the module our cars takes is EP27. You can find them for < $20 and most auto supply stores carry them in stock. Yeah, don't buy that raxiom $50 bullshit.

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
ok now will my day time runners work now that I replaced the flasher or will it continue not to work with the led bulbs? what it does is weird as hell. if I unplug the green wire they are able to stay on but if I plug the green back in while the day time runners are on then the lights turn off. if I put my non-led bulbs In I don't have this issue and it functions normaly. also when I have the hyper flash issue when I turn on the side with leds installed the opposite sides reverse light turns on. but with the non-led bulbs it doesn't do this.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I got one from SuperBrightLEDs for like $15. I'm sure you can get one off eBay for cheaper

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you got the wrong bulbs. You did get the LED variant of the 3157, right?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
From what I could read of this post, it almost sounds like the bulbs you have are not replacements for dual filament and they're just single intensity. I'm not sure what else to tell you at this point.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
From what I understand the led lights do effect the way the flasher operates the turn signals and ends up making them super fast. I put them in my car years ago for aout 15 mins(just long enough to decide I didn't like them) and noticed they did the same thing so I swapped them back and returned them. The resistors were supposed to help this from what I understand. I thought you were supposed to put them in series with the bulb and it didn't matter on the pos or neg but let me look into a little further.... BRB

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok so a quick search led me to this.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/50W-Load-Resistor-Blinkers-License-Plate-Light-Fix-p/led_load_resistor.htm

And they give a link to this. First and for-most let me say if I ever hear of anyone using the t-tap connectors they show here I will come alive through your ISP and infect your pc with something that will make it burn every time your pc pees ok? They have no use in car audio/security....

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Add-Load-Resistor-Fix-For-LED-Signal-Light-a/169.htm

They say on there that you would need one resistor PER bulb how many do you have?

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
ok so a quick search led me to this.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/50W-Load-Resistor-Blinkers-License-Plate-Light-Fix-p/led_load_resistor.htm

And they give a link to this. First and for-most let me say if I ever hear of anyone using the t-tap connectors they show here I will come alive through your ISP and infect your pc with something that will make it burn every time your pc pees ok? They have no use in car audio/security....

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Add-Load-Resistor-Fix-For-LED-Signal-Light-a/169.htm

They say on there that you would need one resistor PER bulb how many do you have?
i have been trying to use one resister per side not per bulb. and ya i know those t tap things are horrable. im glad i bought four just incase ill put them in like that tomarrow. i love how they actually turn off between clicks so it a must work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.