LED tail light problem

Witzy0070

Reaction score
So here's the deal.

1996 Cobra with sequential install from previous owner, working fine (incandescent).

I ordered up the Raxiom LED tail light and front turn signal kit from American Muscle to convert the rear tail lights to LED and the front signals to LED. It comes with 4 resistors which I installed on all the correct wiring. However, I still suffer from hyper-flashing and the 3rd bulb on the tail lights does not blink at all. Just the two inside bulbs on the rear. The front amber signals work, but hyper-flash. When I brake everything works accordingly.

[video]http://vid1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc483/stillboredb/20141101_1632081_zpsjx8mlgql.mp4[/video]

In the video you can see the inner lights hyper-flashing and the most outwardly one doing nothing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as Winter is nearly hear in Montana and after that she goes into the garage until Spring.

Thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
unfortunately I have never messed with it and not really sure what to tell you. I would hazard a guess that you would need one resistor per flashing bulb so with three bulbs flashing I would assume you would need 3 on each rear, on up front.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I still don't understand why people bother with those damn resistors. When you put the LEDs in, you're saving a lot of energy over using the standard bulbs. The whole purpose of the resisters is to "trick" the flasher module into thinking there's regular bulbs in there. They take the extra energy that you're supposed to be saving and turn it into wasted heat. Installing them defeat the whole purpose of using LED bulbs in the first place. All you need to do is replace the flasher module with one that doesn't have the "hyper-flash" silliness. Besides, popping the flasher module out and putting a new one in takes 30 seconds... far less time that fiddling with resistors and splicing into your wires. The number for the module our cars takes is EP27. You can find them for < $20 and most auto supply stores carry them in stock.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I dont know about all that, I've installed a fair amount of LEDs in my day and I've never once done it to save energy.

As Scott said I've also read you need one resister per bulb, but application may vary.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
leds have a lot of advantages over halogens, one of which is less power consumption for sure but I don't think anyone will notice any change in hp with leds or the resistors.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The point of hyperflash is to alert the driver that a bulb is out. When you put LEDs bulbs in, they use far less energy, thus making the flasher module believe the bulb is blown. The entire purpose of the resistor is to "trick" the flasher module into thinking the bulb socket contains a regular halogen bulb. That's it. Doesn't it make more sense just to install a new flasher module that doesn't have the hyperflash technology? Resistors are a waste of time to install. They waste electrical energy by converting it to heat. They serve no other purpose. Think about the physics behind it.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
[MENTION=17876]DeepList[/MENTION] where does one find a module that doesnt hyper flash? Or is there a way to mofidy stock one? I tried installing leds awhile ago with resistors and just went back to halogen because the resistors wherent doing anything

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DeepList where does one find a module that doesnt hyper flash? Or is there a way to mofidy stock one? I tried installing leds awhile ago with resistors and just went back to halogen because the resistors wherent doing anything

No, you can't modify the stock flasher because it's mechanical. You'll need the EP27 electronic flasher module. Installation is a simple of popping out your old flasher module and putting the new one in. You can get it for like $16 at AutoZone, or you can buy it online for cheaper.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I understand the purpose of resistors, just saying we're not installing LEDs because they save energy.

I installed an LED flasher in my dad's car once and the clicking sound it made when you'd use the turn signal was horrible, like a cheap tinny sound. do you know if they're all like that?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Some of them are and some aren't. It's just a matter of quality and what manufacturer they're from. Cheap garbage from china will have more questionable results. The EP27 is made here in the US. It makes a sound comparable to the stock flasher's clicking noise.

chris91

Reaction score
I'd love to make a custom one that says, "Hey your turn signal is on dumbass!" LoL

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Ah, this was a mod I was wanting to do and this was exactly the problem I envisioned happening. I was unaware of the EP27 fix though. Excellent info!

OP
OP
Witzy0070

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I will make this work one way or another. When I figure it out I will offer my solution so if others want an LED upgrade they can do so.

Why learn from your own mistakes when you can learn from someone else?

OP
OP
Witzy0070

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Well I got the flasher relay today.

I plugged it in, took off every resistor, and guess what? It all worked perfectly! All the LED lighting worked on the sequential harness and the front signals worked as well with no hyper-flashing. So for about 10 bucks you can get the LED lights to work without any stupid resistors that get about 100,000,000 degrees. If you get LED lights forget the resistors and buy a Novita EP27 (Called a Tridon EP27 on Amazon). It should say something like, "EP27 LED / 2-6 Lamps 2.8V / 162 W Max" Happy to answer questions if I can. Thanks guys!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZ33H8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P.S. Don't buy the stupid 50 dollar one off of American Muscle.

WheelStander

Reaction score
Can I user this flasher with my LMR sequentials and incandescent bulbs to slow it down? Don't feel like giving my money to Raxiom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online