Left side of cluster not working

97_281gt

Reaction score
So I have a 97 gt and the left side of the cluster isn't working the fuel gauge goes to half then slowly goes back down to empty and stays there and the temp gauge just stays pegged to the right. The PO told me his mechanic hooked up a scanner and the sending unit is reading and he replaced the coolant sensor so today I put another cluster in it and it's doing the same thing what else could it be?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The cluster could just be going bad. I had one with weird issues after you drove a lil bit.

Replaced cluster and poof......

Problem gone.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
I put in the post above I already put another cluster in it

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Where are the grounds for the cluster located behind the dash?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the grounds should either be down in the drivers kick panel or else I think there are a couple that should be at the center tranny hump. Has the dash been out?

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
From the looks of it no I found the two on the tranny hump and there good. Found out today if you fill it up it goes to right under 3/4 of a tank and from what I've been reading I'm pretty sure the sending unit is messed up.

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Ok so up date on this replaced the sending unit and no changes on the fuel gauge what else should I check or what else could possibly be wrong with it?

Sent From Your Moms Phone

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry I'm a little late to the party here. Is it just the fuel gauge and temperature gauge? If so, then below could be the issue:

I have a factory manual for my 95 Mustang - I don't know if it's the same for your year, but I can't imagine it would be too different (though it might be, so it's worth finding one if you can).

According to my manual, the fuel gauge and temp gauge both share the same BATT input, and both share the same GROUND. So if it's those two gauges, then it could be either of those, probably bad ground as evilcw311 said. The fuel gauge also has the anti-slosh module but that doesn't affect the temp gauge, so I don't think it's that.

The ground, on my car, is located in the left side harness plug (there are two plugs, one on the left and one on the right). It is pin #2, and (again, in my car) it is Orange w/ Yellow stripe (O/Y). This wire splices into a Black w/ White stripe (B/W) wire, which terminates in an eye-ring bolted to the dash, down in the center console area near where the amp would be if you had one.

HOWEVER! This ground (the B/W one) is shared by other stuff, such as the radio. Does your radio work correctly or act weird as well? If your radio is fine, then the issue is most likely in the O/Y section of wire, and NOT in the B/W section.

Where the O/Y wire joins in to the B/W wire is near the Multifunction switch (the turn signal, wiper, etc. switch). That will probably suck trying to find that splice. What you want to do is, with the car running and the gauges *not* working, measure the O/Y wire's resistance to see if it's a good ground or an open circuit. If it's open, it's obviously your problem. (NOTE: I say the car running because the ground fault could be intermittent - you need to know that the gauges are currently not working before checking continuity and I can't think of any other way to do that without physically seeing the gauges not work). However, it might be hard to do this test so you can just assume it's bad, splice in your own ground wire to the O/Y wire, and run your new wire to a good known ground location and just be done with it. Also, you have checked the fuse and it's okay, yes?

Lastly, because the gauges seem to work initially, I am assuming the BATT wire is okay. And it is possible, however unlikely, that you got a second bad cluster. Do you know for a fact that your second cluster should work?

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
The radio works fine and I've checked the dash grounds already and I recently bought a cobra cluster and it still doing the same thing I'll check that wire and try to tapping a new ground into it and see what happenes

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Sorry I'm a little late to the party here. Is it just the fuel gauge and temperature gauge? If so, then below could be the issue:

I have a factory manual for my 95 Mustang - I don't know if it's the same for your year, but I can't imagine it would be too different (though it might be, so it's worth finding one if you can).

According to my manual, the fuel gauge and temp gauge both share the same BATT input, and both share the same GROUND. So if it's those two gauges, then it could be either of those, probably bad ground as evilcw311 said. The fuel gauge also has the anti-slosh module but that doesn't affect the temp gauge, so I don't think it's that.

The ground, on my car, is located in the left side harness plug (there are two plugs, one on the left and one on the right). It is pin #2, and (again, in my car) it is Orange w/ Yellow stripe (O/Y). This wire splices into a Black w/ White stripe (B/W) wire, which terminates in an eye-ring bolted to the dash, down in the center console area near where the amp would be if you had one.

HOWEVER! This ground (the B/W one) is shared by other stuff, such as the radio. Does your radio work correctly or act weird as well? If your radio is fine, then the issue is most likely in the O/Y section of wire, and NOT in the B/W section.

Where the O/Y wire joins in to the B/W wire is near the Multifunction switch (the turn signal, wiper, etc. switch). That will probably suck trying to find that splice. What you want to do is, with the car running and the gauges *not* working, measure the O/Y wire's resistance to see if it's a good ground or an open circuit. If it's open, it's obviously your problem. (NOTE: I say the car running because the ground fault could be intermittent - you need to know that the gauges are currently not working before checking continuity and I can't think of any other way to do that without physically seeing the gauges not work). However, it might be hard to do this test so you can just assume it's bad, splice in your own ground wire to the O/Y wire, and run your new wire to a good known ground location and just be done with it. Also, you have checked the fuse and it's okay, yes?

Lastly, because the gauges seem to work initially, I am assuming the BATT wire is okay. And it is possible, however unlikely, that you got a second bad cluster. Do you know for a fact that your second cluster should work?
No go on adding a new ground into it

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Make sure the clusters you are using are from the same year as your car.
There are differences between the years and can show the problems you are seeing if mismatched.

I would also check the pins of each connector. These could be pushed in/back and not making a solid connection.
As others have said, it would appear to be a grounding problem.

Good luck! Tracing these gremlins down can be frustrating!
Do you have a friend with same year mustang that you could try the cluster in just to make sure your car isn't damaging each cluster when you plug it in?

Ryan

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Make sure the clusters you are using are from the same year as your car.
There are differences between the years and can show the problems you are seeing if mismatched.

I would also check the pins of each connector. These could be pushed in/back and not making a solid connection.
As others have said, it would appear to be a grounding problem.

Good luck! Tracing these gremlins down can be frustrating!
Do you have a friend with same year mustang that you could try the cluster in just to make sure your car isn't damaging each cluster when you plug it in?

Ryan
Well it had the original cluster in it a first till I broke the wire off the back of it and it did the same i guess I need to just get a list of all the grounds it could be and check them all

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
This is the cluster now this is 60 miles after I filled up and this is where it reads. In about a other 15 miles and it will be back on E

4dc7db442ac6b628439bc3d61ede6204.jpg

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No go on adding taping a new ground into it

So adding your own ground did nothing? And you added it to the correct wire? Did you test the continuity of the wires?

Well it had the original cluster in it a first till I broke the wire off the back of it and it did the same i guess I need to just get a list of all the grounds it could be and check them all

Getting a list of all the grounds won't help. If it's like my 95, there is only 1 ground that feeds both of those gauges. The other ground wires in the harness feed other things. Have you looked up a wiring diagram of your year to confirm the harness pinout? My guess is there are some changes between my 95 and your 97. Lastly, assuming your cluster is good, how do you know that the sender for the coolant temp and fuel gauge is good? On my 95, there are *two* engine coolant senders, 1 that feeds the gauge, and the other feeds the computer. The gauge one could be broken, and the car will still run fine because the computer doesn't use that one. Is this still the case for 97's? Have you had the fuel pump out of the car recently and/or replaced?

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
From what the other guy told me it was the same wire same colors and it was a ground. I've had 3 clusters in it and they all do the same thing. Yes I know there's 2 sensors I figured that might be the problem with that but I'm not so worried about the coolant rather have my gas gauge work. And sending unit is brand new

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
From what the other guy told me it was the same wire same colors and it was a ground. I've had 3 clusters in it and they all do the same thing. Yes I know there's 2 sensors I figured that might be the problem with that but I'm not so worried about the coolant rather have my gas gauge work. And sending unit is brand new

Okay, so I assume you to mean that you also have the Orange with Yellow stripe wire in your left harness, at pin #2?

Are you sure the sending unit was installed properly and that the wire that sends the signal isn't pinched/shorted somewhere? At this point, I think you will need to measure the resistance of the gas gauge sending wire. For my 95, it's about 145 Ohms when the tank is full to about 22 Ohms when the tank is empty. Are you seeing that?

Lastly, the fuel gauge is run off a little circuit board called the anti-slosh module. This is located in the cluster. It is possible that this board is bad.

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Yea I installed it don't really think you could install it wrong it's doing the same thing as the factory one. Haven't ran any electrical readings on it yet and with 3 different clusters and 3 slosh modules I doubt all them were bad

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Where would I take this ohm reading at?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member