Left side of cluster not working

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
So changed the ect sensor and coolant gauge still has no change either trying to find a good cluster today if possible to see for sure if that's the issue

Sent From Your Moms Phone

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
I swear if Ive put 4 different clusters in this car and there all bad I have the world's crappiest luck with clusters

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Ok so new update traced the wires around on the cluster and the fuel gauge cluster ground wire ended up being the 3rd pin witch is red with a white line grounded that with its own separate ground and boom fuel gauge now works. Now just to figure out the coolant t gauge

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
The second pin on my cluster is like the signal for the coolant gauge

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, okay, so your wiring is a little different from the 95 then. Sorry for the confusion - that's why I kept harping on finding a wiring diagram for your year.

So if yours is like mine (just different locations of wires), the ground should be shared between the coolant temp gauge and fuel gauge. However, you said that the fuel gauge now works but the coolant one continues to fail? If so, you might have a dedicated/different ground for the coolant temp gauge.

I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram for your year cluster on the interwebs when I get home from work.

That particular ground (in my year and I think older, don't know about newer models) is shared by the radio. When people install aftermarket radios and don't wire up the adapter harness properly, they sometimes eff up that ground. Don't know if that's what happened to yours.

And glad to hear the fuel gauge is working, we are half way there! :D

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Ah, okay, so your wiring is a little different from the 95 then. Sorry for the confusion - that's why I kept harping on finding a wiring diagram for your year.

So if yours is like mine (just different locations of wires), the ground should be shared between the coolant temp gauge and fuel gauge. However, you said that the fuel gauge now works but the coolant one continues to fail? If so, you might have a dedicated/different ground for the coolant temp gauge.

I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram for your year cluster on the interwebs when I get home from work.

That particular ground (in my year and I think newer, don't know about newer models) is shared by the radio. When people install aftermarket radios and don't wire up the adapter harness properly, they sometimes eff up that ground. Don't know if that's what happened to yours.

And glad to hear the fuel gauge is working, we are half way there! :D
Ahh nothing to be sorry about I'm just glad someone here is helping me out and thanks for the help so far and I'll check the ground at the radio again and see

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
c82bd277230678297ba57cb3f75bc071.jpg

All looks pretty normal to me nothing out of the ordinary

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yah that does look normal. I assume the black on the crimp caps is from paint or something?

Does the radio work properly? Does it randomly shut off or "restart" sometimes? It's also possible that in your year that ground is not shared between gauges and radio.

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Yah that does look normal. I assume the black on the crimp caps is from paint or something?

Does the radio work properly? Does it randomly shut off or "restart" sometimes? It's also possible that in your year that ground is not shared between gauges and radio.

Looks like that liquid electric tape to me and no the radio never shuts off

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gotcha. Maybe the issue in the ground wire is somewhere between the harness connector and the splice to the B/W ground wire (assuming it's a shared ground between the gauges and radio).

I did a quick Google search for 97 Mustang cluster wiring and came up with this little gem, which compares the 94-95 pinouts to the 96-97 Cobra (should be the same as yours though). Notice towards the bottom for C250-14 and C250-15. Looks like Ford flipped the wires between the years. Also looks like your ground is shared between the temp gauge and fuel gauge. So if new ground fixed the fuel gauge but did not fix your temp gauge, then the culprit is probably C250-15 - the wire that carries the temp signal.

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Ok you loosing me on the c250 wires what are those and is there some kind of electrical test I can do to see if it's getting signal?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: Disregard, I was reading that site wrong. I am now confused based on what I see there.

Which wire did you say you tapped into for the Fuel gauge ground? Looking at the pin side of the connectors (not where the wire goes in to the connector): The left side one or the right side one? And then how many wires over from the left side of that connector?

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
So from what I was reading is that it is most likely the sig wire grounded some where and my plug is showing wires on it so I'm gonna try swapping a plug I got from the junk yard on it to rule that out

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Edit: Disregard, I was reading that site wrong. I am now confused based on what I see there.

Which wire did you say you tapped into for the Fuel gauge ground? Looking at the pin side of the connectors (not where the wire goes in to the connector): The left side one or the right side one? And then how many wires over from the left side of that connector?
The left one wire number 4

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
Red with a white line

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red with a white line

Alright well maybe disregard that site I linked. I can't make sense of what it says versus what you are seeing. So I am now not trusting that site. I'll keep looking for a wiring diagram. I'll post up later this evening when I get home from work.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok cool thanks

Sure thing.

Also, can you take a pic of your left harness with wire colors and a pic of your right harness with wire colors and post it here?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online