Let's see your aftermarket antenna on your Mustang.

PHATSPEED7X

Reaction score
I just ordered a replacement base, and cap from work (Ford dealer) to fix the worn out one on my 04 GT. Now I'm trying to decide on what antenna I want to put on it. I've been looking at the short 7" chrome one from American Muscle. It looks good on the vehicle. But was wondering if anyone else was running something else that looked better, or worked better.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The stock height antenna is as tall as it is because FM radio stations are located in the high band VHF segment of the radio spectrum. (The lower the frequency is in the spectrum, the larger the wavelength, and consequently, the larger the antenna must be for reception.) So, if you run a smaller antenna, you're going to have a harder time getting weaker stations to come in because the height of the antenna no longer matches (or is anywhere close) to the actual size of the radio wave that it's receiving.

So, if you live in an area where you're close to the transmitters for the stations that you like to listen to, and their signal is 2.5 mV/m or better, you don't really have to worry about it. However, for the distant or fringe stations with a receive strength of 0.5 mV/m or less, you may have issues getting them to come in clear when you chop down the antenna. This is one of those cases when you sacrifice functionality for style.

Here's my red cobra with a 14 inch black aftermarket antenna:

1947918_10100434210585872_6526615449287064724_n.jpg

Sinned83

Reaction score
I have a black shorty one from auto zone it looks much better than the stock one and does its job. I think it was $12

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
HcUgO7cl.jpg

Deleted mine completely. Have a receiver attached to the top of my windshield on the inside passenger side. Its a small black box that you don't notice, works great.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I deleted mine last year as well. Put what ever you want on the outside the underdash strip antenna will work great and never be seen.
IMG_20150204_150349707_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
P

PHATSPEED7X

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos. Think I will look into the matter a little further before making a final decision. I just ordered the replacement head unit tonight. The factory 6 disc in dash unit has stuck media. I ended up ordering a Pioneer AVH-X2600BT DVD receiver for it. Figured since this was my first Mustang I would spoil it.

1bad95

Reaction score
I've always liked just popping the ball off the top, trim it down to roof height and put the ball back on. Still gets good radio reception and looks a ton better

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
FYI the antenna is actually more then just a random length of wire and you can do damage to a radios tuner circuit if it is not correct. Granted its rare but they are actually a tuned piece of hardware to work properly.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
personally I have never understood the attraction to the impotent antenna. Doesn't really seem to matter what size it is if its there but when its gone it clean.

OP
OP
P

PHATSPEED7X

Reaction score
Decided to just run a factory size mass for now. My work actually had a couple collecting dust on the shelf. I picked one up, and well be getting it installed once the weather warms up so I can work the the garage. Currently -20* with the windchill.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
where did you guys get that receiver? i would love to delete mine as well.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I cut a stock in half as well and reinstalled the ball. But it's not that simple. the antenna is tapered. So the end that was cut has to be trimmed down to accept the ball. If done right, no one will ever know.
I also still have a full length in case I'm on a long out of town drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online

No members online now.