Let's see your coolant overflow/recirc tanks

Kboss87

Reaction score
I hate the giant stock overflow tank. I already relocated the CCRM and I'd like to see some examples of what people did to get rid of the stock overflow tank.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I didn't take a picture of it (because I'm an idiot) but last Saturday, at a car show with Tyler, we saw an old Chevy truck with a super soaker bottle for an overflow tank. Not saying that you should go that route, just thought it was cool.

There was also a riced out civic with a rockstar can as their overflow tank. But that's not nearly as cool as the super soaker bottle.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My cousin's setup on his '32 Chevy

45b6066057f2c57a0e8853061203116f.jpg

And my buddy's setup on his '94 GT

687c73ed6146d02c5b73af6af4f2537e.jpg

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have the same canton aluminum tank that is going back in my build. I am adding a methanol tank for the snow kit that will go on top of my radiator and the overflow tank will be hanging off of it to hopefully make it a little cleaner but I know what you mean about it not being the best looking.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
now that I think about it the meth tank I am making could work of course as an overflow and would both clean up the bay the way you want while keeping access to it easy. I started off with a 2 x 4" piece of extruded structural aluminum (1/8" thick wall) that was 25" long and then welded some ends on it. The ends double as the mounts for the radiator and like I said it sit right on top of the radiator.
8540491401807608-0a7a1e5cb0.jpg

I think all told I have maybe $50 in parts into it.
9131211401806396-ced9b69c59.jpg

And I was a little surprised to calculate that it will hold just under a gallon.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just an idea, is there anyway you could reconfigure your washer fluid tank into an expansion tank. It's mostly hidden, and easy access. I know I hardly use mine

OP
OP
Kboss87

Kboss87

Reaction score
I didn't take a picture of it (because I'm an idiot) but last Saturday, at a car show with Tyler, we saw an old Chevy truck with a super soaker bottle for an overflow tank. Not saying that you should go that route, just thought it was cool.

There was also a riced out civic with a rockstar can as their overflow tank. But that's not nearly as cool as the super soaker bottle.

The days of super soakers! I have two at my parents house still...kind of tempting lol

now that I think about it the meth tank I am making could work of course as an overflow and would both clean up the bay the way you want while keeping access to it easy. I started off with a 2 x 4" piece of extruded structural aluminum (1/8" thick wall) that was 25" long and then welded some ends on it. The ends double as the mounts for the radiator and like I said it sit right on top of the radiator.

I think all told I have maybe $50 in parts into it.

And I was a little surprised to calculate that it will hold just under a gallon.

Wow you have a whole lot of custom stuff going on in your engine bay.

Just an idea, is there anyway you could reconfigure your washer fluid tank into an expansion tank. It's mostly hidden, and easy access. I know I hardly use mine

I actually did come across a thread where someone mentioned that they did this. I don't think it would be too hard. just install a fitting on the bottom and ensure its sealed up tight. My only concern with this is that its part of our state inspection process here that the windshield washer works.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I actually did come across a thread where someone mentioned that they did this. I don't think it would be too hard. just install a fitting on the bottom and ensure its sealed up tight. My only concern with this is that its part of our state inspection process here that the windshield washer works.

The expansion tank doesn't need sealed up. The stock ones have a vent hole at the very top.

That sucks about the inspection. Is that an annual thing or just a 1 time?

OP
OP
Kboss87

Kboss87

Reaction score
I just meant seal up the fitting in the bottom so it doesnt leak. Its an annual inspection. I have a friend with an inspection license anyway, so its still an option. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking this is the best route.

Thanks for the idea!

JKady

Reaction score
After months of running around with a hose stuffed in a Rockstar can, I picked up one of these with my last summit order

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1472/overview/

I too have relocated my CCRM, I ended up using one existing hole in the fan shroud and drilling a hole for the lower bolt. Also allows you to get rid of the lower mounting plate for the stock tank (which is surprisingly heavy for its size). I considered hiding it behind the bumper but couldn't come up with a good way to do it without spending more fab time than it was worth to me to get it there. I'll see if I can snag a pic in the daylight tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online