Let's talk Long Tubes

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm going to take a stab and say for corrosion resistance and durability? Any maybe to a much lesser extent heat-resistance/radiance?

I was thinking more along the heat reduction side though. A good chrome job will hold up too but lack the heat control.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the heat reduction side though. A good chrome job will hold up too but lack the heat control.

Yah, maybe so. I ended up getting the ceramic coated BBK LT's - now I need to go back and figure out why I picked those. I could've sworn it was more for durability. Gah, I don't remember...

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
Ceramic for lasting proctection and it retains the heat so they make better power and the underhood is cooler. I went from painted longtubes to ceramic longtubes and could tell an immediate difference on both accounts.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ceramic for lasting proctection and it retains the heat so they make better power and the underhood is cooler. I went from painted longtubes to ceramic longtubes and could tell an immediate difference on both accounts.

cool we're both right :slowclap: lol

spank 141

Reaction score
Painted ones suck the most. The paint usally comes off and the headers will end up rusting if you don't repaint them and you have to use high heat paint and it dosen't work very well. The chrome headers are not bad but they change colors once they are heated and it looks like you got a set of rainbow painted headers. I have had ceramic headers on one of my cars for 10 years and they don't change color and the coating never comes off. With all that being said the most important part of ceramic coated headers is they run cooler so you have lower under hood temps with them.

rw95gt

Reaction score
You don't have many options in the reasonable price range, Mac, BBK are very similar in quality and price. I have used both a prefer BBK because they have one piece header flanges vs individual ones on Macs. I had a problem with a bent primary on my Mac headers. Took some effort to get it aligned properly so I wouldn't strip my aluminum heads. I currently run BBK sn95 specific ceramic long tube headers. They don't hit the ground in me and sound and fit great with stock k member and steering shaft. These work well with 302-347 with a power curve that stops at 6k rpms. They should work great for most people. If you have a 8krpm screaming 331 I would suggest the hookers 1 7/8s long tube headers that have equal length primary tubes and a larger collector. They are expensive though at around $1k and you will need to upgrade your entire exhaust to take advantage of them.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
My 331 only spins to 6500, so I don't see the need to go to giant primaries. That would kill all the bottom end torque. I'd love to throw another cam in there, and maybe some better hydraulic lifters to handle operations above 6500 rpm, so maybe at that point I'll get some large long tube headers. Maybe I will try BBK after all, but chances are I might just skip it all together and just wait a bit, until I get bigger combo.

kb1982

Reaction score
If you go with the BBk longtubes, be sure to take a look at the primaries were they are welded to the flange on the head side. I noticed mine coulda used a good cleanup with a die grinder, as there was some weld splatter in the primaries. Also, pop for the ceramics. I have the chrome, and they tend to color and get specs of rust on them.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you go with the BBk longtubes, be sure to take a look at the primaries were they are welded to the flange on the head side. I noticed mine coulda used a good cleanup with a die grinder, as there was some weld splatter in the primaries. .

my BBK shorties were like that too. I bet I took out 1/8" of excess weld all around the tube. At least.

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
I have long tube but there is no name on them and I just notice they are hitting the quick time bell housing right next to the clutch cable goes through. I was planning to start my rebuilt engine today but I guess I can't now. I may need to get new ones now so I will order some ceramic quoted one, don't know what brand yet, any suggestion are welcome!

StreetPilot

Reaction score
I have long tube but there is no name on them and I just notice they are hitting the quick time bell housing right next to the clutch cable goes through. I was planning to start my rebuilt engine today but I guess I can't now. I may need to get new ones now so I will order some ceramic quoted one, don't know what brand yet, any suggestion are welcome!

I had BBK longtubes on my '96 4V and they were great. Nice power, smoother shifting (why that was I didn't have a clue, but others agreed), and a great sound. As stated earlier, having a merge cone is better than not so look into the ones that do (I'd tell ya, but I'd be making it up as I don't know myself).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online