lets talk trannys

95opal

Reaction score
I’ve read guys pushing 500rwhp through the stock 3650. It will hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a built 3650 that will handle 1000+hp. I have a promotion competition built 3650 with all the bells and whistles behind my blown stroked and juiced pushrod. No doubt in my mind about it handling the power and torque i plan to abuse it with. The movement by the big transmission guys is to get away from the t5 and move towards the 3650 for numerous reasons including the shortage of t5 cases these days. Even with the new aftermarket t5 case the 3650 is just a better platform.

Zutz23

Reaction score
You can get a built 3650 that will handle 1000+hp. I have a promotion competition built 3650 with all the bells and whistles behind my blown stroked and juiced pushrod. No doubt in my mind about it handling the power and torque i plan to abuse it with. The movement by the big transmission guys is to get away from the t5 and move towards the 3650 for numerous reasons including the shortage of t5 cases these days. Even with the new aftermarket t5 case the 3650 is just a better platform.

I want to push my GT to 500-600 RWHP. Would it be better to build my 3650 or buy into a TKX or even try and find a used T56 ?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I want to push my GT to 500-600 RWHP. Would it be better to build my 3650 or buy into a TKX or even try and find a used T56 ?

Any of those routes would suffice. Do the math for each avenue and see what fits your budget.

Zutz23

Reaction score
Any of those routes would suffice. Do the math for each avenue and see what fits your budget.

The thing is, my routes are limited cause parts and what not are expensive and not readily available. I’m from Toronto so a T56 would cost me about 4K USD delivered. And I have no idea where to build my tranny if I so desired

Connie

Reaction score
The top gear difference has been pointed out to me and mentioned that there is a road race version with a

The overdrive difference has been pointed out that there would not be much of a change. How about with this one then and the .5 top gear?

http://www.ddperformance.com/ba72-ford-2-97-t-56-magnum/
It depends also on what you want to live with more. Lower RPMs, or Higher RPM whine in Overdrive Gearing. If you don't do highway driving I personally would like more Torque in Lower Gears. It's really a matter of your personal choice in the end. Knowing you, you'll be able to swap Tranny's in and out to find which you like better. Wish I was still young enough for that. HA.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
now who don't love rocky horror?!

I am pretty sure I have know which one I want and where to get it now. Now if they just get that stimulus thing going its tranny time!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so after getting some quotes and considering if I wanted to wait for the current one to die or do it now I have decided to go ahead and do it. I don't want to end up on the side of the road which is where it headed so I am going to order the t56 close ratio this week. Out of all the quotes I got silver sport trans was the most complete and had the best price. If anyone has a place they like better I would love to hear it.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Whyd you decide to go with the close ratio vs just a basic setup

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Good choice on doing it preventatively. You’ll love it. If that company has had good service with you and you are happy with the price for what you get, go for it.

Side bar, when it comes out, are you looking to sell the t5?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good choice on doing it preventatively. You’ll love it. If that company has had good service with you and you are happy with the price for what you get, go for it.

Side bar, when it comes out, are you looking to sell the t5?
I will need to figure something out to do with the old one.

I was about to order today when I had a thought - what about the clutch/flywheel? I put in an exidy stage 3 clutch not long ago and wasn't sure if it could work with the new one or not?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I will need to figure something out to do with the old one.

I was about to order today when I had a thought - what about the clutch/flywheel? I put in an exidy stage 3 clutch not long ago and wasn't sure if it could work with the new one or not?
Is your new trans a 26 spline input? If so will not work. Also the flywheel needs to be changed to a 157 tooth per the d and d website

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

95opal

Reaction score
I have also heard that strange makes an offset yoke that could be used with my existing driveshaft to save some $$$. Anyone know for sure? I found this and I am not sure its the one or if it would even work.

https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/trans-yoke-powerglide-etc-27-spl-1350-strange-hd.html/

Tbis is why i suggested you talk to walt at promotion he would have set you up with a complete package instead of having to source everything yourself. Anyway you will need new clutch and flywheel. You will also need to have your driveshaft cut or buy a new one. I would suggest going with a custom made shaft with upgraded u joints. PST is who i recommend if you decide to go. With a new shaft. I would also sugvest getting rid of the stock pinion flamge and upgrade to a yolk set up. Might also want to consider a solid shim and off the crush collar if you go with a pinion yolk. All up to you but i do suggest it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Tbis is why i suggested you talk to walt at promotion he would have set you up with a complete package instead of having to source everything yourself. Anyway you will need new clutch and flywheel. You will also need to have your driveshaft cut or buy a new one. I would suggest going with a custom made shaft with upgraded u joints. PST is who i recommend if you decide to go. With a new shaft. I would also sugvest getting rid of the stock pinion flamge and upgrade to a yolk set up. Might also want to consider a solid shim and off the crush collar if you go with a pinion yolk. All up to you but i do suggest it.
I did request a quote from them and they were $800 more than silver sport was and there was still no clutch/flywheel included. After speaking to silversport they said they do not include it because they do not know what my plans are in the future and pick. They included the driveshaft but they wanted $400 for a steel one and $150 extra for aluminum. I already had an aluminum shaft and was just trying to figure out if I could keep it rather than sell it and lose money on it. In the end I am going to take my shaft to a local shop and have it shortened to save some cash.

Silver sport was great to work with if anyone else is looking.

95opal

Reaction score
I did request a quote from them and they were $800 more than silver sport was and there was still no clutch/flywheel included. After speaking to silversport they said they do not include it because they do not know what my plans are in the future and pick. They included the driveshaft but they wanted $400 for a steel one and $150 extra for aluminum. I already had an aluminum shaft and was just trying to figure out if I could keep it rather than sell it and lose money on it. In the end I am going to take my shaft to a local shop and have it shortened to save some cash.

Silver sport was great to work with if anyone else is looking.

Gotcha but i took a quick look at silver sport and tbey have the exact same price listed as promotion. Anyway i forgot to mention bellhousing and crossmember in my previous post.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Gotcha but i took a quick look stsilver sport and tbey have the exact same price listed as promotion. Anyway i forgot to mention bellhousing and crossmember in my previous post.
sst's kit has all the nuts and bolts via arp, stifflers mount, clutch, flywheel, bellhousing, and oils. I got quotes from a couple of places and the others were not as complete or at least did not list that it came with all of that which just left me wondering. I had one place that missed the close ratio request which I realize is just a simple thing to switch but I thought to myself that if they are not paying attention now, they might not later either. After checking 5 different places I discovered that tremec has a minimum advertised price that all dealers have to agree to but if you call and talk to them that they can give better deals they just can't advertise them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.