License plate lights not working

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Hi guys I can't find any info on this and wondering if you guys have come across this. I see in the receipts that came with the car that the trunk light fixture was replaced at one point and there appears to be a plug-in that isn't being used back here, can probably see it in the pic? My thought is that they aren't plugged in because both aren't working. When I try to unscrew the two plastic scews on the lightbulb holder they just spin. Any help would be much appreciated.
138364462be32236213394b4d711e347.jpg
3a71c50e31709945507d1d701a2e60dd.jpg

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Try rotating the white lightbulb holder on the inside of the trunk 45 degrees. Also, the two screws holding the license plate light fixtures on the outside are plastic push rivets. You must be very gentle removing them without pushing in while trying to unscrew them. If that doesn’t work, try a knife blade tip between the plastic screw and the body of the plastic rivet and gently unscrew the plastic screws.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I didn't speak up yesterday as I wasn't sure, but since no one else has = I think that harness is empty on most cars, can't remember why though to reassure myself that its true.

Do you have a volt meter? Try turning the lights on and stabbing the wires to see if you have power back there.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Those stupid push rivet “screws!” I swear, I spent like a good half hour with them, trying to replace the housing that cracked. Had to swap out both because apparently they look completely different on my 94. I haven’t seen any replacements that look like the original.

Then after like a decade, the body shop didn’t put my bulbs back in, and I couldn’t for the life of me do it from the inside. ...so I again, spent half an hour trying to unscrew those bastards, because I completely forgot!

Oh crap! I guess that means I’ll need new lift supports for my trunk lid in 4 years. I forget that everything on this car has a 10 year life span. 2014 will be a terrible year for my head.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
As for the light bulb housings, try American Muscle Car at: https://www.americanmuscle.com/license-light-lens-9498.html . They also sell a set of replacement push-rivets.

Yeah, that’s the kind I have now. That’s the kind everyone sells. My original ones were completely black, with just a small opening that remain clear. These replacements look cheaper, and since they use less paint, I’m guess it was more cost effective to make them this way.

I can’t even find a pic of what mine looked liked, but if I ever find my old ones, I’ll definitely take a pic. Could be a one year only kind of thing.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Try rotating the white lightbulb holder on the inside of the trunk 45 degrees. Also, the two screws holding the license plate light fixtures on the outside are plastic push rivets. You must be very gentle removing them without pushing in while trying to unscrew them. If that doesn’t work, try a knife blade tip between the plastic screw and the body of the plastic rivet and gently unscrew the plastic screws.
That worked like a charm I can't thank u enough. I stuck an exacto knife into them and then held the retainer thing from there inside and then unscrewed with the exacto knife! Found out the plastic socket is crap and the bulbs are crossed but they did turn on when I googled with them. Wonder if I can get these sockets somewhere local?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
I was wondering how to remove those license plate lights. Those and the lock mechanism are the last things I need to take off. I need to completely strip the '96 trunk lid I bought so it can be media blasted and painted white to match the rest of the car. Nobody makes a carbon fiber spoiler (wing) for the '94/'95 Cobras due to the different mounting bolt pattern, so I bought a used '96 GT trunk lid. Unfortunately it's red.
CobraRGuy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online