Lighter Problem

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by CanaryGT, Jul 19, 2007.

1. CanaryGT

CanaryGT Well-Known Member

Basically when I put any devise into my cigarette lighter I have to move it around a lot to work.... Its like its loose in there or something.... any thoughts? ???

2. stang94X

stang94X Active Member

mine does the same thing also but randomly, i checked it out and nothing was loose, so if anyone knows im interested too

3. rage602

rage602 New Member

Sometimes the "tar" and cigarette ashes leave a film on the positive connection inside of the socket; also it may have small rust or corrosion on it, take the socket out and clean it with with some old Scotch-Brite and warm water

4. BOS-94-003

BOS-94-003 Active Member

Over time they just expand a little particularly from the use of adapters such as phone chargers and radar detectors. You know its real bad when your lighter actually jumps completely out after warming up. Just normal wear and tear. Autozone can hook you up with a new one.

5. scarface

scarface Guest

there are two tabs inside the lighter, take a key or screw driver, and bend them inward just a bit.

6. CanaryGT

I went to autozone, bought a lighter well for 3.24 and installled it. All i had to do was pop the connectors out of the clip then plug the new one in. And then I plugged in my Radar detector and .... BAM! it works :dancing6:

7. kyle94gt

kyle94gt Active Member

Have you ever thought of hard wiring your radar detector to automatically come on when you turn the ignition on? I've done it in every vehicle I've had and it's one of the best things I've done... no wire hanging in the way, easy way to keep a accessory plug open, and helps avoid tickets by never forgetting to plug it in lol.. anyways.. just a suggestion have a great one... O0

8. CanaryGT

I have but I dont want to pull the thing out each time I get a new detector. With the way they upgrade those damn things who knows what plugs they will use next....

9. kyle94gt

kyle94gt Active Member

You should buy an extra accessory plug and hide it somewhere like behind your glove box so that way you can route your detector wire around to it so it can be out of the way... but wire the access. plug to come on with the ignition.. just a thought.. I know what you mean about upgrades lol.. it's about time to upgrade mine. It's seen it's better days!