Lightweight wheels

abgray56

Reaction score
How much effect do lightweight wheels have on a cars handling in autox? If I dropped 9-10 lbs per wheel would it make much difference in the car?

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

abgray56

Reaction score
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/sprung-vs-unsprung-weight

It makes a huge difference but with that being said you can go too light. If your going to be using it in racing be sure that the wheels are up for it. I ahve seen in drag racing what can happen when one explodes and while you are probably not at that power/speed its still not pretty.
Thinking of RPF1's so they have been around for a while and are well used.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Lightweight rims will make a big difference. But, there's another way to approach your rim decision based on the SCCA Category you are running in, and looking at the car as a whole.

I use SVE S350 18x10 rims (front and rear) on my CAM-T New Edge cars, they weigh about 24 lbs. each. The 18x9 S350 rims, which are easier to fit square on 94-04 Mustangs, weigh 22 lbs. each. Tire Rack shows the 18x9 RPF1 rims at 18 lbs. each. The SVE S350 rims cost $200 each; the RPF1 rims cost $380 each. That's $720 more for 4 rims. That extra money could buy you tubular A-arms and lightweight bumper supports, or other lightweight parts to help with mass centralization and handling. BMR 94-04 spring perch A-arms take 6 lbs. off the front end and improve handling; a lightweight front bumper support can take 16 lbs. off the front end; a lightweight rear bumper support can take 21 lbs. off the rear end. For the same money, you would end up with a lighter, better balanced car. It's worth considering your options, especially if you're in CAM.

I have used SVE rims for years and they have held up well under autocross conditions. I have videos about choosing the best autocross rim and tire size, fitting 315 tires square on a New Edge Mustang, and weight reduction/balance on my Warhorse Racing YouTube channel.

If you ever have any questions about autocrossing your Mustang, please ask. I'm happy to help.

OP
OP
A

abgray56

Reaction score
Thanks Warhorse! The car already has MM A-arms, K-member, coil overs, and much more from their arsenal. I'm going to stick with 17's for a cheaper tire budget but I can only get 255's. I'm in Canada and the Enkei's are on sale with free shipping from a good supplier plus an extra 10 % savings right now which made the decision easier...plus they are only 16 lbs.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Thanks Warhorse! The car already has MM A-arms, K-member, coil overs, and much more from their arsenal. I'm going to stick with 17's for a cheaper tire budget but I can only get 255's. I'm in Canada and the Enkei's are on sale with free shipping from a good supplier plus an extra 10 % savings right now which made the decision easier...plus they are only 16 lbs.

Tires are always a big expense. Are you planning on 17x9 rims? What brand and aspect ratio tires?

OP
OP
A

abgray56

Reaction score
Tires are always a big expense. Are you planning on 17x9 rims? What brand and aspect ratio tires?
Either Falken 660 or RE71-R in 255/40/17.

The last time we corner balanced she was around 3250 with Driver and half tank. That was with stock Bullitt rims.

OP
OP
A

abgray56

Reaction score
And 17x9.5 Enkei's

MTRHDROB

Reaction score
I went from a staggered 18x9, 18x10.5 setup With 275, 295 tires down to 17X9 and 17x9.5 Enkei wheels with 255 tires all round for my track setup. Small tires due to limited choices in 17”.
I can’t remember exact weights now but I did drop about 10lbs a corner. It transformed the car for me. Car feels much more responsive in transition. I just do lapping days fwiw. All positive for me.
Also from Canada.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Either Falken 660 or RE71-R in 255/40/17.

The last time we corner balanced she was around 3250 with Driver and half tank. That was with stock Bullitt rims.

I wasn't a fan of the RE-71R, but I know many people who like them (and do well at autocross using them). They got too greasy for me when they got hot, and they wore out very quickly. I don't have any experience with the Falkens.

What is the minimum weight in your class?

OP
OP
A

abgray56

Reaction score
We're running CAM-T, not sure of minimums

OP
OP
A

abgray56

Reaction score
I'm sure I could but have already removed rear seats, stereo system, a/c and replaced drivers seat with a Sparco racing seat. Going to install a quick release steering wheel. I could do the driveshaft and exhaust, but not sure of where else to look.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I'm sure I could but have already removed rear seats, stereo system, a/c and replaced drivers seat with a Sparco racing seat. Going to install a quick release steering wheel. I could do the driveshaft and exhaust, but not sure of where else to look.

Do you have an aluminum flywheel? That takes weight out of the car ahead of the firewall, and it helps the car rev faster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online