LMR customer service sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ok out of the 4 calls ive had with them, this last one really got me pissed off. So I bought a Steeda Tri-ax shifter from them. When I put my FACTORY shifter on the handle it only fit upside down. I thought it was odd and maybe i just wasnt putting it in right. But i saw that someone else had the same issue and the vendor supplied them a new one. So i called LMR and told them about my issue. I talked to (i forgot his name), and told him my issue. He then replied "well we have a new handle for $34.99". And I was like if its defective, why cant you just give me a new handle? He responds, in a paraphase "They are mass machine, so its very unlikely close to impossible to have a wrong thread". So I told him "so then im stuck with it?" He says "it is probably the shifter". BUT ITS FACTORY AND FITS FINE ON THE STOCK HANDLE!. He said if i want a tight fit it would need to be upside down, if i want it to be the right way it would have to be lose. WHO THE HELL WANTS A LOSE SHIFTER??? So in the end im stuck with a potentially defective product because LMR doesnt think its possible to sell defective products, UNBELIEVABLE!. If it wasnt for them being the only vendor for certain products, I would definitely buy else where. If i would of paid attention to his name I would of reported him to a manager.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Ok out of the 4 calls ive had with them, this last one really got me pissed off. So I bought a Steeda Tri-ax shifter from them. When I put my FACTORY shifter on the handle it only fit upside down. I thought it was odd and maybe i just wasnt putting it in right. But i saw that someone else had the same issue and the vendor supplied them a new one. So i called LMR and told them about my issue. I talked to (i forgot his name), and told him my issue. He then replied "well we have a new handle for $34.99". And I was like if its defective, why cant you just give me a new handle? He responds, in a paraphase "They are mass machine, so its very unlikely close to impossible to have a wrong thread". So I told him "so then im stuck with it?" He says "it is probably the shifter". BUT ITS FACTORY AND FITS FINE ON THE STOCK HANDLE!. He said if i want a tight fit it would need to be upside down, if i want it to be the right way it would have to be lose. WHO THE HELL WANTS A LOSE SHIFTER??? So in the end im stuck with a potentially defective product because LMR doesnt think its possible to sell defective products, UNBELIEVABLE!. If it wasnt for them being the only vendor for certain products, I would definitely buy else where. If i would of paid attention to his name I would of reported him to a manager.
What are you talking about the stock shifter should have two bolt holes at the bottom and threads at the top. Why don't you take some pictures.

chris91

Reaction score
He's talking about the shift knob if I'm not mistaken. And my Cobra knob was like that, just grab hold of it like a man and twist it till its right.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
He's talking about the shift knob if I'm not mistaken. And my Cobra knob was like that, just grab hold of it like a man and twist it till its right.

But he said it only fits upside down...

How does a shift knob fit upside down?

And if he's talking about this...
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/ST-5557153/Steeda-Tri-Ax-Shifter-Handle-For-Mustang

He then replied "well we have a new handle for $34.99".

Then I still have no idea how you fit it upside down.

:handz: :handz: :handz:

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, I also am trying to figure out what's wrong here? And I have installed a boat load of shifters lol

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to take a stab here and say that the shift knob fits tight facing AWAY from the front the of the car. When he backs it off a little so that it is facing the correct way, it's now "loose." This was the case on my factory Cobra knob and Pro 5.0 knock off shifter AND my Hurst Billet Plus shifter. I ended up using a couple washers so that I could tighten the knob down facing the correct direction.

One moment...digging up pics...

Edit: Oh well. I found the thread where I was selling the Hurst, but didn't have any pics of the washers on the shifter. Anyway, I used two fender washers to give the shift knob something to turn against, rather than bottoming out against the threads. Sorry for the weird convo you had with LMR, they probably should have handled it differently, but to their point I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the shifter. Another option, if you don't want to use washers, is to get a knob like what MGW sells that utilizes a set screw. Put it where you want, secure it with the set screw, easy peasy. (Of course, this all assumes I know what you are talking about when you say "upside down." If you meant something else, then...uh....disregard. :) )

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had the same issue in the past with certain shifters. All I did was put a nut on the handle first, run the knob down until it faced where I wanted it, then tightened the nut up against the knob like a jam nut. I pulled the boot over the nut so it was out of sight...no issues

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ive had the same issue in the past with certain shifters. All I did was put a nut on the handle first, run the knob down until it faced where I wanted it, then tightened the nut up against the knob like a jam nut. I pulled the boot over the nut so it was out of sight...no issues

Yah......so that's a better idea than my washer technique. ;)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'd keep calling until i got what I wanted, if it comes down to it just return it and buy another one somewhere else, or better yet just buy an MGW. If you're talking about the actual knob they may not all turn on the same amount, you may have to add a spacer or something underneath it before tightening it down. It's hard to be totally sure what you're talking about though.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to take a stab here and say that the shift knob fits tight facing AWAY from the front the of the car. When he backs it off a little so that it is facing the correct way, it's now "loose."
Ah! That makes sense, what is described in the OP doesn't lead me to think of that. I wonder if LMR actually understood the problem.

I've never used an oem style knob, I use a nut on the bottom of all mine.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah! That makes sense, what is described in the OP doesn't lead me to think of that. I wonder if LMR actually understood the problem.

I've never used an oem style knob, I use a nut on the bottom of all mine.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me from what he said. Otherwise, I have no clue what he's talking about. And I'm sure the LMR dude was a little confused :) And dammit why didn't I think of the nut...stupid ass washers, I mean who does that...gah.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lol most aftermarket knobs I've gotten that have shift patterns on them come with a jamb nut.

Silly scott

chris91

Reaction score
OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry for it being unclear, just realized if i used 2 different words it would of been clear lol. i forgot what i told the rep, something to the effect of "when i screw the knob in, it doesnt fit like its suppose to", his solution was to get a new knob or leave it loose if i didnt like it, so he knew exactly what i meant. and to confirm the assumptions, the knob pattern didnt coincide with the gear pattern. it went R-5-3-1 on top (and the characters upside down) and bottom is 4-2 again characters upside down. Sorry I would of taken pictures but i have bronchitis and its raining lol.

i would tightened it the most that i can every which way, and it always came out like that. I didnt know all aftermarket handles came like that, its sooo stupid how they made it. And the LMR rep should of told me to do the washer/nut thing like you guys mentioned, instead he just dismissed it like i was full of poo or something. Idk i work in customer service, and i would never talk to a customer the way he did, especially because i did not cuss or act rude with him. My complain isnt the product, just the customer service.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry you had a bad experience :( Give LMR another chance, though. I've had really good experiences with them. Everyone has a bad day - in a customer service-oriented field, I know, it's really inexcusable. But it does happen. If it happens frequently, well then something is definitely wrong there. But I know there's a lot of us that have had good experiences there. If you decide to shop there again, I wish you the best ;)

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
.... so what you're saying is that once you screw the knob on, and it was tight, the characters were facing the wrong way? As already suggested, use a nut to stop the knob from spinning any further once the numbers are oriented the correct way, and be done with it. I'm sorry, but I don't really see how that's LMR's fault, in any way.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
.... so what you're saying is that once you screw the knob on, and it was tight, the characters were facing the wrong way? As already suggested, use a nut to stop the knob from spinning any further once the numbers are oriented the correct way, and be done with it. I'm sorry, but I don't really see how that's LMR's fault, in any way.

^ I think he's saying he didn't realize that was an option, and didn't/couldn't understand why the LMR guy just couldn't tell him that. Miscommunication, me thinks - learn from it, and call it a day. And I tend to agree with DeepList here, not really sure how there's any fault on LMR's part here. But whatevs. $hit happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online