Locations of 12v ACC with key on?

#BrownRoush

Reaction score
I'm going to be installing an aux line in box so I can keep my 460 head unit. I do need a 12v power source that comes on with the key in accessory. Any good spots? Only place I can think of is the 12v that goes to the stereo. Are the cigarette/ round sockets always on?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes there is a switched wire at the radio. There is also more then a few in the ignition harness 12 inches away. I am pretty sure there is also a switched wire in the convertible harness that is under the console no matter if you have a vert or not. cig lighter is a constant 12v

OP
OP
#BrownRoush

#BrownRoush

Reaction score
thanks for the tip on the convertible harness. I'll have to look into it. If I can't find it, i'll just latch onto the radio harness

GTamas

Reaction score
I'd like to rewire my cig-lighter to be switched on only woth the key in. I don't want to use the convertible harness because I already have the fog lights and a 5v usb socket connected to it (both with fuses of course).
I plant to connect to a fuse with a "fuse pigtail adapter"-thing (whatsitsname).
Which of these circuits would be a good choice? I' thinking nr. 14 "Power Windows" because I dont want to use any circuit that has anything to do with airbags.
I'm going to use a phone charger (5A) in the socket.
image.jpg
Screenshot_20240208_145059_Edge.jpg

GTamas

Reaction score
I settled on nr.10 "Heated oxygen sensors" because it was difficult to fit the adapter at other locations.
20240208_213042.jpg

GTamas

Reaction score
I didn't pull it out. At least not intentionally. It was still ringing during the job when I was looking for the + terminal of the fuse.
Do you see it off on the photo? Where's it missing?

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the round part of the fusebox where the red wire goes through is where it is supposed to be. I figured you had pulled a warning light out/check engine light rather than fix a problem and then it causes the door chime to go off for 30 secs every time you start it to warn you a light is out. To fix that problem people pull the chime out.

GTamas

Reaction score
Interesting, it was not there when I opened the box. My chine is located somewhere nearby outside the fuse box and its functioning.
I was wondering what that empty round cavity is for

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
BTW the convertible harness is only present up to 2000 on all models. It should be clipped under the console even if your car isn't a convertible.

Starting in 2001 thru '04, Ford put a different harness in the non-convertibles that lacks the plug for the switch. You'd have to find and tap into these wires up near the shifter where the dash wires plug into the console harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online