Lock/Unlock button doesnt work, but causes Dash to light up.

Easycustoms

Reaction score
Hey all,
First time poster, long time reader. I've been searching around and havent been able to find any help at all. I have a 1997 V6 Convertible. 5 speed.

Out of nowhere last week the Key fob stopped working. No lock/unlock, trunk, or panic. I changed the batteries and still nothing. Fine, I can live without that for now... But I got inside my car and the lights under the mirror dont work, and my Lock/unlock buttons on both the driver and passenger side dont work. If I push and hold the Unlock button down the dash lights turn on and the door chime beeps.

The clock, speedo, and radio are all working fine and I havent noticed any other weird issues. I checked a bunch of the fuses under the dash and all seemed fine.

Can anyone PLEASE help?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know you said you checked a bunch of fuses - I assume that means you had the manual out and checked the ones you thought were related? Until you have pulled/checked literaly EVERY fuse in the car, we can't go on to step 2. I know it sounds like a PIA but trust me its amazing how often you find a fuse popped that has NOTHING to do with the problem at hand according to the manual. If they are all good under the dash then check the fusebox by the battery under the hood.

OP
OP
E

Easycustoms

Reaction score
Checked all fuses under the dash and hood. All seemed fine. My next step is to check the Headlight switch. I have heard of instances where the wires there get hot and can melt together. Anyone else ever have that issue?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought it as the switch that was known to fail and not he wiring going too it but I could be wrong. The switch would not have anything to do with the locks but it is a place to start. The hrns with the lock wires comes up through the kick panel, along the side of the car and then goes along the top of the dash. There are 5 wires in the door locks and they are all pink with different colored stripes on them but more then likely the stripes have worn off by now. Trace them and see if you see any copper/bare wire or burned/corroded places. I would actually suggest starting at the drivers kick panel myself. The alarm might look factory but very well be an aftermarket piece that even the dealer might have installed. If that is the case the common place to put them or to easily tap a lot of the wires needed is in the drives kick panel and at the ignition hrns and I still suspect that the alarm is malfunctioning and causing all these problems. The kick panel is easier to get out then the switch IMO which is another reason I would start there. if there is an aftermarket alarm in there unless they did a REALLY good job installing it you will know it by the wiring you will find. IF you do find the alarms module and unplug the power hrns too it and see if your problem stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online