Lol. This car can burn in you know where

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I'm making some nice tig passes right now and it's making me smile. Lol guess I'll to fire up my welder when I go to work on my car

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

eqmdef8

Reaction score
In theory yes you can just tap it. A $5 home depot tap probably won't stand up to the crank for very long though. you'll want a real machinist quality tap if your going to try it. Safest bet would be to have a machine shop do it for you though. At that point your pulling the crank out anyway though.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Motha... Well yeah I'm gonna try this longer bolt first. I'll see what my day is like tomorrow and possibly go down tomorrow and work on it. If I can get this longer bolt to work I'm off to the races. Helicoil would be a last resort as I don't typically hear good things about them and holding up... I avoided them when the spark plug shot out of my head back in 12 and ended up pulling and swapping heads.

I just got word that the truck I've been borrowing since November will be gone by not this weekend but the next. Meaning mustang has to be fixed this weekend orrrr...... Idk. I'm walking to work. Lol. Fingers definitely crossed now

eqmdef8

Reaction score
I agree, helicoil really should be last resort. If you can get the longer bolt to grab that would be best. If you have access to a micrometer, measure the depth of the hole and make sure the bolt isn't too long. If it bottoms before fully engaging the pulley, you'll get some wobble that will cause more issues.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
First things first try and re tap it and then use a longer bolt .

Wichers123

Reaction score
Helicoil is a complete okay repair. Some racing engines drill and helicoil all major clamping threads for added security. Remember the threads of a helicoil kit are hardened steel so they are much stronger. Helicoil with red lock tight set over night will be a super strong thread. In Toyotas we have 2az 4cyls pulling head bolts and the Toyota repair is to threadsert the block.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
7mc5v.jpg

eqmdef8

Reaction score
I'm not debating whether helicoils are a good repair tool. They have their place. Trying to install one on the end of the crank, while its still in the car is a different story. Unless you fully disassemble the car, or pull the crank out, your going to have a hard time drilling and tapping a crankshaft.

kb1982

Reaction score
I know your feeling wanting to burn the car. Right now, i have the timing chain cover off mine to fix a coolant leak. Of course it has a bolt broke off stuck in the block, and another broke off in the radiator that supports the fan. Having a metal core oil pan gasket created another problem, as i need to get a small hacksaw in there to cut the gasket so i can put the new ones on without pulling my rack out to drop the oil pan. Without all the clutter on the front of the engine, its clearly obvious that the k member isnt squared up properly either. Going today to Lowes to get a butane torch, a small handsaw, another timing chain cover bolt, and a longer harmonic balancer bolt to pull it back to hopefully not run into the isssue your having.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I know your feeling wanting to burn the car. Right now, i have the timing chain cover off mine to fix a coolant leak. Of course it has a bolt broke off stuck in the block, and another broke off in the radiator that supports the fan. Having a metal core oil pan gasket created another problem, as i need to get a small hacksaw in there to cut the gasket so i can put the new ones on without pulling my rack out to drop the oil pan. Without all the clutter on the front of the engine, its clearly obvious that the k member isnt squared up properly either. Going today to Lowes to get a butane torch, a small handsaw, another timing chain cover bolt, and a longer harmonic balancer bolt to pull it back to hopefully not run into the isssue your having.
Cause racecar......

Wichers123

Reaction score
I'm not debating whether helicoils are a good repair tool. They have their place. Trying to install one on the end of the crank, while its still in the car is a different story. Unless you fully disassemble the car, or pull the crank out, your going to have a hard time drilling and tapping a crankshaft.

Yeah I feel you a 90* air drill could get in there if you take the radiator out. Just a thought. You know the 5.4 8rib pulley has a longer bolt. When I put my 8rib on that's what stopped me I couldn't get the 4.6l mustang bolt to touch any threads with the washer.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Haha you guys can debate all you want. It's my thread and I'm cool with it.

For the record I got the longer bolt to work! Thankfully.... And I also put my corsa black mufflers on.... >:)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

eqmdef8

Reaction score
Haha you guys can debate all you want. It's my thread and I'm cool with it.
In that case. The reason that helicoils are used in a 2az boils down to 1 thing...the block is aluminum. There is a huge difference between an aluminum block and a steel crank.

I'm glad the longer bolt worked out for you though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online