Long Time to start

5PointSnow

Reaction score
So in the last couple days my 95 has been taking a long time to start after sitting and will crank for close to 2x as long as it normally does. Once it's started the car runs as strong as it always has but it takes a concerning a out of time to start. What could this be caused by in your opinions? I was thinking either a bad fuel pump or some sort of leak in the fuel system allowing pressure to drop while it sits. What should I be looking for?
Thanks in advance for all the help guys!

1Fine99

Reaction score
So in the last couple days my 95 has been taking a long time to start after sitting and will crank for close to 2x as long as it normally does. Once it's started the car runs as strong as it always has but it takes a concerning a out of time to start. What could this be caused by in your opinions? I was thinking either a bad fuel pump or some sort of leak in the fuel system allowing pressure to drop while it sits. What should I be looking for?
Thanks in advance for all the help guys!

Do you prime the fuel pump before you start it? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

OP
OP
5PointSnow

5PointSnow

Reaction score
Do you prime the fuel pump before you start it? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
Yes I always let the fuel pump prime before I start it. The filter was changed under a year ago.
I noticed if I prime the pump multiple times it start faster. Also it could be in my head but the fuel pump doesn't sound like it primes as crisp/strong as it used to but that could just be me being paranoid

Witzy0070

Reaction score

1Fine99

Reaction score
Yay I'm so excited -_- any recommendations for a different pump or would a stock replacement be fine?

Have you tried running any fuel system cleaner through it? Have you checked the spark plugs, cap and rotor, etc? Can't hurt to start with the cheap stuff!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree with above. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.
Put a fuel pressure tester on it first. Might be the regulator instead of the pump. But how do you know if you don't test it.
If it's been a while since your last tune up then it probably due for plugs, cap, rotor, and wires.

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
There is a check valve at the outlet of the pump that can go bad. Also the little rubber hose that connects it to the hard line can loosen up or crack.

I would start by throwing a gauge on the rail and see how long it holds pressure after you prime it.

OP
OP
5PointSnow

5PointSnow

Reaction score
Alright thanks for the advice guys. As far as a fuel pressure tester I'd rather not buy one since they cost so much for a tool I need for about 10 minutes but I guess I'll have to pick one up. Also where is the fuel pressure regulator on the 5.0 I haven't had a chance to look. Also is there anywhere else pressure could leak from? I've heard injectors can be slightly stuck open would there be any signs to tell if that were it?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can borrow the FP tester from the parts house.
The regulator is next to the firewall on the passenger side. Just follow the hose coming out of the fuel rail.
If the injectors are leaking then your oil will probably smell like gas

OP
OP
5PointSnow

5PointSnow

Reaction score
You can borrow the FP tester from the parts house.
The regulator is next to the firewall on the passenger side. Just follow the hose coming out of the fuel rail.
If the injectors are leaking then your oil will probably smell like gas
Alright thanks I'll check my oil. What exactly is the parts house though?

OP
OP
5PointSnow

5PointSnow

Reaction score
The place where you buy parts: Advance, AutoZone, PepBoys, etc
Ohhh gotcha. I'm in Canada and we don't have those places. Everywhere around here (lordco and Napa) doesn't lend tools, all they'll do is check your battery.

In in other news I just went and checked the car after sitting for a couple hours and there was 0 fuel pressure at the rails and I've noticed after priming the pump close to 10 times you could hear it building pressure until it sounds normal again. Also my oil seems free from fuel smell of any kind.

OP
OP
5PointSnow

5PointSnow

Reaction score
OP
OP
5PointSnow

5PointSnow

Reaction score
Okay so I spent some time working on it today and installed a permanent fuel pressure gauge on the rail and saw the pressure fall to 0 almost instantly after priming or shutting off the car. When the pump primes it jumps to 40 or so psi and will fall to 5-10 psi then slowly go to 0 over 30 seconds or so. When car is running its steady at 29 psi and when the fuel pressure regulator is unhooked by the vaccum line it will jump up to 39 psi. So based on some quick googling I had determined that was my cause of all this. So to the parts store and back, and installed the new regulator. 80$ later and it's exactly the same as it was before... :cry: Any help? I'm sure it's the pump now but before she goes to the shop I want to be double sure to save money.

87hurricane

Reaction score
There is a check valve on the pump to let it hold pressure. If the car runs good on startup, its probably not injectors leaking. Past injectors leaking, any other fuel leaks would be external and you'd know about them from the puddle of fuel on the ground. I'd say your pump is bad.

87hurricane

Reaction score
Dropping the tank and replacing the pump really isn't that bad. If you have a set of ramps and a jack you can do it yourself in your driveway. It's a whole lot easier and less messy if the tank is low or empty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online