Long tube headers? BBK? kooks? american racing?

GT3FC

Reaction score
I'm going to be in the market for some long tube headers very soon. I'v been told to get a set of BBK long tubes. anyone running a set of bbk long tubes on a 2v? how do they preform? would you recommend them? not to mention they have a good price point. If not what would you recommend? I'v been told that kooks new stuff isn't as good fabrication as their older stuff? not sure if that's true or not. Also the ceramic coated headers does that coating actually disperse heat at a noticeably higher rate vs the chrome ones?

Also I plan to go with an o/r shorty x pipe not really sure if you need or want that info but I'm gonna give it to you anyway.

amy98gt

Reaction score
I have the Kooks set up and absolutely love. I have had them for several years so I don't know about recent manufacturing. I'll never forget the day I unboxed them. Those twisted tubes and the welds that hold them are still a piece of art to me.

amy98gt

Reaction score
CIMG0846.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CIMG0844.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

blackdemon007

Reaction score
I went with BBK Ceramic on my setup, because they are the only ones I found that were guaranteed to fit the 98 vert without modifications. Personally I love the my headers, really opened up the volume on exhaust, however I do believe that with an offroad x, it would be a bit too raspy for my taste, but that is personal opinion. Got good power increase, did notice a drop in engine temp, but not that significant in comparison to the drop from switching to AMSOIL synthetic. Hope this helps.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
If you're installing yourself avoid BBK..... if you don't have an aftermarket k member avoid BBK.

That's from personal installation experience.

MAC is pretty good I hear ....that's what we will be going to next

The D3V

Barner1

Reaction score
If you're installing yourself avoid BBK..... if you don't have an aftermarket k member avoid BBK.

The D3V

BBK with stock suspension is an installation nightmare...but it CAN be done.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Never said it was impossible. Its just a common theme. For their price I shouldn't have to modify installation hardware.... it also shouldn't look like it was crushed during shipping. You have all these pretty bends but on the drivers side is this ugly pressed in portion that looks cheap.

The D3V

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score

The D3V
I actually have my mechanic that said he will install them for a smokin deal..he actually recommended bbk

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Honestly it was the first piece of BBK hardware I was disappointed in. They usually make a great product.

The D3V

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have MAC ceramic longtubes on my car. I had them with stock suspension and still have them with tubular suspension. They aren't bad at all to install with stock or aftermarket suspension. I installed a set of BBKs on my buddys '02 with stock suspension, and as mentioned, its possible, but NOT fun. Ill be ugrading to either KOOKS or Stainless Works in the next couple of years...

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
thanks y'all for the info I still cant make p my mind haha. Its such a hard decision. I'll probably end up going with some BBK LT's mainly because I haven't heard too much bad stuff about them and they are decently priced

FORDY9ER

Reaction score
For what its worth, I have BBK long tubes and I love the way my car sounds. I have them paired with a catted X and magna packs, I turn heads everywhere. But, the only problem is you need to loosen them up to drop the trans for any clutch work :(

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
For what its worth, I have BBK long tubes and I love the way my car sounds. I have them paired with a catted X and magna packs, I turn heads everywhere. But, the only problem is you need to loosen them up to drop the trans for any clutch work :(

Im not too worried with having to drop them for work...I plan on replacing my starter before I get the LT's....and as far as clutch work I have the same guy do my clutches because he does awesome work and has smokin prices for work for members of desert stangs which is a local mustang club here in AZ

Barner1

Reaction score
Never said it was impossible. Its just a common theme. For their price I shouldn't have to modify installation hardware.... it also shouldn't look like it was crushed during shipping. You have all these pretty bends but on the drivers side is this ugly pressed in portion that looks cheap.

The D3V

You're right man, it's not impossible. Just hope you got some patience! And I agree with you on the "crushed while shipping" look too. I contacted the company about it, but they said all was good.

Barner1

Reaction score
I actually have my mechanic that said he will install them for a smokin deal..he actually recommended bbk

If he recommends them & will do them for "a smokin deal", I'm with D3V, don't pass it up!

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
If he recommends them & will do them for "a smokin deal", I'm with D3V, don't pass it up!

well Ill still be buying whatever LT's I choose from wherever I decide. The LT's are not the part that I get the good deal on. it will be the labor, whichever LT's I choose the install is a flat rate, if that makes sense

Barner1

Reaction score
well Ill still be buying whatever LT's I choose from wherever I decide. The LT's are not the part that I get the good deal on. it will be the labor, whichever LT's I choose the install is a flat rate, if that makes sense

Gotcha man. The labor is where the deal needs to be!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online