long tubes or shorty's on a 96?

96stangerGT

Reaction score
i am reading alot of people running the long tubes on there 4.6 stangs. i got shorty's on mine, is it better to run long tubes on these 4.6 stang's?
thx

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
longtubes give you more airflow out, which is what you want...and they also give alot more power out of FI over a car with FI and stock or shorty headers.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They both have their pros and cons.

the long tubes do give you more power, like 15-20 or so, but you have clearance issues and istall is a PITA.

GDawg

Reaction score
I would love to have some long tubes... but at my drop it ain't gonna happen. I have no clearance as it is now.

S

scarface

^Gdawg I dont understand your clearence issues? I had Lts, eibach sportlines w/ no isos, 275/40/17s, and I never scraped?

GDawg

Reaction score
scarface said:
^Gdawg I dont understand your clearence issues? I had Lts, eibach sportlines w/ no isos, 275/40/17s, and I never scraped?

I have about 3" of clearance under my car. I scrap on everything. I need new pictures cause my car has settled lower than what you can see in my pics. Colorado has a lot of sharp angles on the streets. I can't afford to lose even a 1/4" on my car. I just can't see it happening unless I can get long tubes that don't hang any lower than the stock ones.

Springs doesn't have emissions testing anymore and I would love an O/R "H" pipe with long tubes. I'm far from done with this car.

O0

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
i have BBK Shorty Headers and BBK Catted X-Pipe and i love them.

i was gunna get LTs and actually had a pair but clearance issues we went with Shortys instead. yall can talk shit all you want about shortys but i love mine.

OP
OP

96stangerGT

Reaction score
yea i like my shorty's too, but just seen everyone (even on other sites) go with long tubes, just though i was missing something..

i also got a lowered car and didnt even think about cleance... the car sits pretty low. so that will prolly keep me from gettin long tubes

thx for info though :thumb:

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
longtubes if your after some big power, if not go shortys

you can still get big power with shortys.
most turbo kits come with shorty headers inplace of LTs, they say not to run LTs with turbos

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
my95gtstang said:
Snakebit said:
longtubes if your after some big power, if not go shortys

you can still get big power with shortys.
most turbo kits come with shorty headers inplace of LTs, they say not to run LTs with turbos

its hard to route a turbo kit with longtubes...the only way you can do it correctly is to have like a U turn in the pipes to get them back into the engine bay. but as far as shorty vs. longtubes in NA or blower setups, longtubes are always better.

and as far as clearance goes, i have maxspeeds(cheap ebay springs) and it lowered my car over 2" and i havent had any big problems with the LTs scraping. but mine seem like they are setup a bit higher than some other companies.

blackfang

Reaction score
With turbo's aside as they are a different animal compared to a Nitrous, S/C or NA setup, do not waste your time with shorty's! So no sense in comparing them.

On a NA engine and even a S/C engine LT's are better. They are just as much a pain to install as longtubes. They offer little gains in the powerband where LT's offer 15-20+. Longtubes will make a big noticable difference in power on the dyno and in the seat. They really wake up the low to midrange power on our cars where shorty's do not.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
i have max speed springs as well. good 2.0 all the way around. mine was having problems cuz the pair i had was conflicting with my tranny. they were ment to go on a stick shift mustang and i have a auto. im not sure if clearance underneath would have been a prob or not, we didnt get them on

Adam

Reaction score
I used to run a set of FRPP Ceramic shorties, only because I got them on the cheap used. I would never spend the money on a new set of shorties. You can get a new set of Flowtech LT's AND matching X pipe for around $350 shipped last time i checked. This is what i used and had great luck with them. LT's make big torque gains, which is what the Modulars need. Here is a pic of the Flowtechs, you can't get much more ground clearance than this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

blackfang

Reaction score
I am with Adam. Here is a pic i took after we installed my SFC's Look at how high up and tight my LT's are
SFCi.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
blackfang said:
I am with Adam. Here is a pic i took after we installed my SFC's Look at how high up and tight my LT's are
SFCi.jpg

Exactly..... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online