long tubes or shortys???

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
ok well i was wondering either to do long tubes or shortys on my 96 gt which will be gettin a p&P pi heads intake and bigger cams so which ones would give the most power gains.

voidfinger

Reaction score
IMHO, if you want the most power then the long tubes

If you want ease of installation, no ground clearance problems and a couple other things then go with shorties. I really don't care about the power that much i just wanted something that would work with little to no problems. :) but thats just my opinion.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
IMHO, if you want the most power then the long tubes

If you want ease of installation, no ground clearance problems and a couple other things then go with shorties. I really don't care about the power that much i just wanted something that would work with little to no problems. :) but thats just my opinion.

the as much money as you spend, and as little gain as you get from shorties. i'd recommend. Longtubes or nothing. It takes me roughly 1 hour more to install longtubes than it does shorties, so install time isn't a big factor in my judgment when it comes to recommending one or the other to someone.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ya know I hear that alot.
Shorties are NOT a waste of money, their definately better than the manifold POS.
power gains are nil, but you do get rid of the poping sound and your exhaust sounds better. that's worth something IMO.

now power gains, Long tubes is were it's at.
Some long tubes do have ground clearance issues, so look into that.
you also have to remove long tubes to access the transmission /clutch, and hedder bolts SUCK!

anyway, my 2 cents.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Shorties are NOT a waste of money, their definately better than the manifold POS.
power gains are nil, but you do get rid of the poping sound and your exhaust sounds better. that's worth something IMO.

you also have to remove long tubes to access the transmission /clutch, and hedder bolts SUCK!

anyway, my 2 cents.

I lost 2tenths and 2 mph in the 1/8 mile when i swapped from stock manifolds to FRPP shorties. That to me proves they are pointless

voidfinger

Reaction score
Dalamar said:

anyway, my 2 cents.

I always wanted that poping sound when i let off the gas but i never got it..... o well, the frpp shorties flow a little better than the stock ones and they weigh a lot a lot a lot less.

Although, i didn't even think about what you said about the clutch changing :)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
Dalamar said:

anyway, my 2 cents.

I lost 2tenths and 2 mph in the 1/8 mile when i swapped from stock manifolds to FRPP shorties. That to me proves they are pointless

thats a pretty big loss, for the power you may have loss from the swap ???

voidfinger

Reaction score
lol hold on your telling me you lost time on the 1/4 mile by swapping in a better flowing, lighter headers???

voidfinger

Reaction score
i think he ment when he swapped from long tubes to shorties on a good running, high flowing, combo????? thats what i'm getting. could be wrong though.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
lol hold on your telling me you lost time on the 1/4 mile by swapping in a better flowing, lighter headers???

No.. when i went from STOCK manifolds to FRPP shorties.. i lost 2 MPH and 2 tenths in the 1/8! mile. runs were made on a thursday night and a friday night of the same week. DA was w/n 200 feet of each other, temps were within 2 degrees of each other, different tracks.

Both runs were made on a basically stock NON pi swapped 97GT. had 4.10's, 100 shot of nitrous 2 chamber flows w/ dumps, and o/r H pipe.

launch = Rev limiter w/ nitrous activated via RPM window switch off slicks.

went from running. 8.20's on 100shot w/ stock manis.
To
8.40's on 100shot w/ FRPP shorties.

No leaks, no changes in tune, no changes in launch, bottle pressure.. everything was extremely close atmospheric wise as you could get.

voidfinger

Reaction score
something was wrong then, thats the only answer. There isn't "in my mind" a possibility of a better flowing part to make you run that much slower in the 1/8th. thats like adding 2--/3-- hundred pounds.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
something was wrong then, thats the only answer. There isn't "in my mind" a possibility of a better flowing part to make you run that much slower in the 1/8th. thats like adding 2--/3-- hundred pounds.

nothing was wrong.. i even lost 3/4 of a tenth and right at 1mph if memory serves me correctly Naturally aspirated w/ slicks and the same launching technique..

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
that's wierd.

so those hedders suck?
it doesn't mean all shorties suck or will loose power. that's just my opinion.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
that's wierd.

so those hedders suck?
it doesn't mean all shorties suck or will loose power. that's just my opinion.

yea, summin like that. plus FRPP's have a bad tendency of cracking at the welds. JBA's dont do much of a hp gain either.. like 5hp we dyno proved that on a buddies stock 02 gt.

OP
OP
S

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
ok well thanks for the info guys now to the brands i was thinking bbk or possibly mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online