Long tubes with auto trans

d.garza18

Reaction score
Has anyone ran long tubes with an auto trans? If so how was it? I’d assume it’s nearly impossible to remove the trans for anything with the headers in the way.. would a tubular k member help? Also what’s a good tubular k member that isnt going to break the bank, that can use your stock control arm? I don’t plan on running coilovers anytime soon but definitely thinking about doing long tubes and a tubular k member while my engine is on the stand

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
On my 92 gt with 460 c6 transmission
I had long tube and removing the transmission and reinstall was not bad

It's all sbout the header collectors and pipe some hug block and transmission some dont
I would look for a set that gives transmission to header clearance

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Yeah he pretty much nailed it. I ran them on my auto mach 1. Tubular k won't help with the trans interference

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
On my 92 gt with 460 c6 transmission
I had long tube and removing the transmission and reinstall was not bad

It's all sbout the header collectors and pipe some hug block and transmission some dont
I would look for a set that gives transmission to header clearance
Know of a set with good clearance?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I had a set of kooks on mine

You will need to look at it by application
Engine. Auto transmission year of car

To find the right ones I went through evey company that makes headers , I had a bare block with transmission
And would instal header with block till I found one that was perfect
It will take you time and some frustration
Take your time
Mine was buy it , try it, send it back , wait
I did that for 2 months paid off

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The header install in itself is a pain. Having to drop the trans working around them headers can be an even greater pain. Research, research, research

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
I really think I’m up to the task. Engine gas to come out anyways, so dropping it from the bottom is probably going to happen. As far as headers I’m leaning towards pacesetters, or a set of eBay ones

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
7E75FF70-6BAB-408E-AC51-65683098A562.pngGuy locally wants $300 for this Qa1 setup and I’m considering it.Anyone runa qa1 k member?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Not a bad price.
Just a heads up, if you run eBay headers, you have to relocate the oxygen sensor bung on the passenger side, and you have to beat the crap out of them to fit the steering shaft. You’re also only going to want to run these if you use solid engine mounts. You only get like a sheet of paper clearance on the frame rails.

I’ve used these and bbk. Bbk fit a lot better but I did not have them on the auto trans.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I also had American racing headers that cleared the auto trans, but they are expensive.

Truth is, you’re not going to want to go cheap on headers. This is one of those areas where you get what you pay for. I had 3 different sets of headers on my 2v because I’m cheap. In the end, I bought the expensive ones anyway.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
I also had American racing headers that cleared the auto trans, but they are expensive.

Truth is, you’re not going to want to go cheap on headers. This is one of those areas where you get what you pay for. I had 3 different sets of headers on my 2v because I’m cheap. In the end, I bought the expensive ones anyway.
Gotcha. Yeah I plan on running solid engine mounts. And would you happen to have a set of headers laying around?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
You will also want to observe the shift linkage
My friends header was barely touching the linkage
And burn the transmission seal on the selector rod
Transmission fluid can be flammable

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
with as much of a PIA as the install is I am not sure this is the time where I would try to save $100. I would think that you will pay for it sooner or later but that is just how things go for me.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Well unfortunately a good set is out of my price range at the moment, what about a set of shorty headers?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I think that's a solid deal on the k member. If you're doing headers doing both at the same time makes all the sense in the world

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online