Longer wheel studs

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by bmcgc, Mar 28, 2015.

1. bmcgc

bmcgc Member

Ive got everything I need to install my S197 wheels on my 94GT except longer front wheel studs.

Im going to run a 3/8 spacer on the front.

What parts store studs can I use? I don't want to wait on shipping, so Im looking to buy local.

I think the knurl size is .582in. Summit has a Dorman stud that is 2.1 in long with a .609 knurl. Will that sneak in there without drilling the hubs?

Any suggestions?

I thought about running the 17x8 S197 rim with a 245/45/17 tire and no spacer. It looks like it may fit, but its close either way.

2. mcglsr2

mcglsr2 Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

I don't know if parts stores would carry longer studs? When I got mine, they were while the car was at a shop thought that worked on Mustangs - so I don't know if they had them there already or had to send out for them. :dontknow:

3. Rallim

Rallim Active Member

Parts stores carry dorman studs so you could probably take a look at them. .020 difference is a lot when you see them next to each other, maybe within .010 might work though. I used to work at a parts store and tried matching studs up for longer ones, trust me haha

4. wmfateam

wmfateam Active Member

ARP for the win. I have ARP on the front and Moroso on my strange rear axles.

5. kb1982

kb1982 Active Member

This is why ive asked my local parts stores what day their trucks come in. I can order a part that they dont stock, but their distributor does, and usually get it the same day or the following day depending on what time their delivery trucks leave the warehouse. I have 3 parts stores that I shop at, and each of them gets their shipments on different days, which increases my odds of same day purchase.

6. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

That's like 25thou, which is a pretty big difference BUT if the studs are hardened the right way they should push their way through. If you drill that out you're just gonna booger it up and it'll be a mess because you don't have any room for error. If you have a drill press or end mill it'd be a different story.

7. Pete@FTR

[email protected] Active Member Preferred Vendor

APR studs are what you need. I don't recall the knurl size I ended up going with but I remember its slightly larger than stock. Needed to be reamed out slightly.

Should be done with a reamer. To be fair, the first time I installed studs I used a cordless drill and everything worked out fine. Not that I'm recommending it