Longtubes ???

97red

Reaction score
I'm just buying longtubes for my car and i'm wondering how much power should i expect and will this be a major seat of the pants feel? Keep in mind i have the 10.5:1 compression and cams. I just want to know if the 400 dollars i spend on longtubes is worth it, also are Mac's the only model that fit Autos. Because im not too impressed with their quailty :-\

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The good ol bellhousing clearance.

I'd guess 10-15 HP.
should rev up smoother, and not pop when you're decelerating.

Anyone else?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
approx. yes.

NA, the longtubes won't give you a big power gain. Under boost (moving alot more air) you'll get more.
Like on an 03 cobra, long tubes get around 30 HP, but NA, 281 it's around 10 HP.

The stock POS looking manifold actually flows OK. KB tested it out and don't recommend replacing it.
The backpressure poping drives me kinda crazy.

The gain is more sound and smoothness.
They are nice, but kinda spendy. If you're main goal is power, they're a bit pricy IMO.
Ground clearance can also be an issue if your car is lowered.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Best seat of pants "feel" mod is Gears.

do you have gears?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
The 10-15 should be about right, the stock ones are extremely restrictive and the long-tubes will make a large drop in the back pressure on the engine, I am assumeing the new headers are being matched with a X-pipe ( I hope ::))? Good luck with the project...............I know first hand how much of a bitch it is to put long-tubes on a 4.6 :mad: :mad: :mad: ....................oh god do I know :-[

OP
OP

97red

Reaction score
Yeah i do have 4.10's, and i am trying to reach a goal for n/a power though, im trying to get to around 290 so i really think longtubes will get me there. Also, Im matching it up with an o/r H because they sound way better in my opinion. But I dont plan to install them myself, my brother and I have done everything so far on our mustangs, and longtubes wont be one of them!
Also is there anyway that it'd help with nitrous? because I do have a 125 shot, but i havent used it or tuned for it yet because i have no bottle warmer and window switch. Thanks

-James

Blueoval

Reaction score
97red said:
Yeah i do have 4.10's, and i am trying to reach a goal for n/a power though, im trying to get to around 290 so i really think longtubes will get me there. Also, Im matching it up with an o/r H because they sound way better in my opinion. But I dont plan to install them myself, my brother and I have done everything so far on our mustangs, and longtubes wont be one of them!
Also is there anyway that it'd help with nitrous? because I do have a 125 shot, but i havent used it or tuned for it yet because i have no bottle warmer and window switch. Thanks

-James

Well now that I know what shot you are running I can set my car up similar! ;) lol!!!! Don't spray it until you have everything James!

OP
OP

97red

Reaction score
dont worry Lee I'm going to be as careful as possible with the nitrous :) But yeah it should be a beast with the cams, shot, longtubes, and swap! All I need it to do now is freakin hook! The best 60ft's i've been pulling where 2.13's on 275 nittos. So i def. need drag springs and upper lower control arms to go along with it!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
LT's :thumb:
Most people i've seen gained a good 15rwhp so its a worthy mod....pain in the ass to install though.
Mac/BBK are ok if your on a budget..just clean them up with a file.
I prefer Hooker myself but they are pricey. (fit the auto also)

OP
OP

97red

Reaction score
awesome man, good to know. Also how much would longtubes shave off my track times?

ALITL8

Reaction score
the math works out to $60-$90 per 1 hp (headers and midpipe), seems a little steep to me but i'll probably do it to mine in the future... it is a performance mod, right? :thumb:

here's a cool site i just found, you guys probably already know about it :dunno:
http://www.mustangexhaust.com/ 200+ Mustang Exhaust Sound Clips and a forum dedicated to the Mustang exhaust systems :D

OP
OP

97red

Reaction score
I already have the O/R H and am going with Dynomax Race Bulletts dumped, um it should do the trick with 10.5:1 compression and Comp cams

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online