Looking at a 200k mile 96 GT tomorrow, am I crazy?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by LCPLPunk, Oct 3, 2015.

1. LCPLPunk

LCPLPunk New Member

Hey guys,

So I've been looking at getting a SN95 and today I finally found one (via Craigslist) that is in the price range I want and doesn't look like crap (at least in the pictures). The thing is, the car has 200k miles on it.

I did a few searches on SN95 reliability and overall it looks like it should be okay, but I'm wondering if I'm giving it a pass just because I want one.

So, I ask, am I crazy?

I talked to the owner and he said the car was actually donated to an organization like this: https://www.kidney.org/support/kidneycars and that they inspect them, fix any issues, change the filters, fluids, etc and then resell them. He said the vehicle looks to be in good condition (inside and out) and they are asking $1,850 OBO.

I also currently have another car so this won't be my sole method of transportation. :)

2. Royal96

Royal96 Active Member

I know of people who have 200k mile GTs with good success. I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat if I were about to start a project with it.

3. LCPLPunk

LCPLPunk New Member

That's what I'm leaning to... :)

My wife is going to kill me!

4. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

That is a LOT of miles.

5. evilcw311

evilcw311 Most Evil Mod! Staff Member Staff

Not a lot of miles if it was decently maintained.

It's all about how it was maintained. If it looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet then maybe not such a great idea but if it's gonna be a project where you plan on totally building it all fresh and new then who cares what the mileage is.

At that point it's just a price point

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

6. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

If its straight, little dings, and all lines up body wise,...every other part is manufactured or can be had in great condition used. Best of all, these parts are everywhere!

7. Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs Active Member

Crawl underneath that bastard. If there's oil n caked up road grime n just I'd take a pass. Not long ago my dad bought a '97 GT vert and i think it has like 160k or so. It runs ok but it's leaking oil from somewhere and I'm pretty sure it's the rear main seal, and that's not exactly cheap or ez.
    What are you wanting to do with this car? Make a "project" out of it or just drive it around? Either way at 200k mi crap will start to break here and there, (sensors ect) and wear items just as shocks/struts, brakes etc will more than likely need to be replaced. If you're just looking for a car to go from point a to b and if it's leak free and hasn't been wrecked, $1,800 isn't bad. Tell em $1,600 though.

*Edit* Change of opinion. Kidney cars!? Nah I'd pass.. It's probably been wrecked. No one donates a car that they can sell for more than the tax write-off.

Don't Sext and Drive.

8. Cpotts13

Cpotts13 Well-Known Member

No matter which way you put it, that is a TON of miles, as [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] said.

Project car? Sure! Leave it as it? Nah pass...

9. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

200k isn't shit for a 2v. Just think of the police cars and taxis with the same engine running around with 300k+ miles. And if the body is in good shape I'd jump on it. Finding a nice clean, straight chassis is getting hard these days and I've seen quite a few selling for almost the price you'll be paying for a running, driving car.

10. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Fixing a rear main seal is easy. $10seal. Replacing the front seal is easy too.

Why do those that know nothing about modulars feel its appropriate to issue their lack of knowledge?

11. 1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt Well-Known Member

As others have said its hit or miss.

If it was well cared for, sure it could last, but your the one taking that risk. Im not sure where you are located but their are WAYYY less mile Gt's out there in/near your price range. At 200k be prepared to add new parts

Good luck!

12. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

if its clean buy it. The engine isn't what I worry about on a 200k mile 2V it is the rest of the car.

13. LCPLPunk

LCPLPunk New Member

I'm in Hawaii and it's hard to find stuff because i'm on an island. :(

Right now I'm leaning towards just continuing to look, but I do appreciate the comments! :)

14. Nuttinbutcrumbs

There's one in every crowd. Here we go... Easy if you have the motor out. Easy if you have a lift. Not that easy laying on your back. You're making it sound as easy as changing the oil filter. Yes the seals are cheap. If he's not gonna lay on his back and do it himself the labor isn't all that cheap.
    He's in Hawaii and I'm betting he's in the service. Therefore I'm betting he doesn't have a garage or even the tools to do the job.
    Don't Sext and Drive.

15. Nuttinbutcrumbs

I doubt it's been taken care of. Someone donated it so they could get it out of their hair.

Don't Sext and Drive.

16. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

I got a forum stalker

17. Mustang Mark

Mustang Mark Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit about mileage? If the body looks good, it isn't leaking all of its fluids, and it goes through the gears fine buy it. I've seen plenty of 200k mile cars that were in good shape if they were cared for. There are also plenty of 75k mile cars that are ragged out pieces of junk.

18. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

^ exactly

My neighbor has a 96 Cherokee with 300k. Its practically mint cause its garaged kept and only comes out in safe weather...id buy it! Its museum perfect!

19. Nuttinbutcrumbs

I do too.

Don't Sext and Drive.

20. Nuttinbutcrumbs

Yeah but it's all the other little crap that breaks on 200k mi cars. You know powerseats, switches for this and that. A/C, worn out suspension parts, and so on.
    Good point. But I'm pretty sure this $1800 gem is gonna be far from mint.

Don't Sext and Drive.