Looking for a track car (and the winner is...)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice... it'd be a good way to get into the modular stuff... worlds of options out there (not as many as the pushrods, but still quite a few.)

price seems fair, too.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
My other thought is this...

00c0c_1bVswsrdnlt_600x450.jpg

But this one is almost $10K, wife would probably get suspicious if that was missing from the bank account.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
S197 cars have a much better suspension system, and just with a full exhaust cai and tune you'll be at 300~320hp to the wheels.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Agreed on the suspension. Power can be made on any platform, but the S197's chassis, suspension design, and braking is a million times better than any Fox based chassis. Out of the box 302 Bosses are crushing track records with the right driver and it all came from the 05. So that's appealing to me as well.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Well the silver one is sold. Back to the drawing board...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea a price like that it would sell quickly , it's hard to believe these things are popping up for 10k from time to time even where I live lol

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
Agreed on the suspension. Power can be made on any platform, but the S197's chassis, suspension design, and braking is a million times better than any Fox based chassis. Out of the box 302 Bosses are crushing track records with the right driver and it all came from the 05. So that's appealing to me as well.
what I was getting at is its cheaper to make power with the 3 valve cars. The brake are good when you upgrade to some take off brembos from either a gt500 or a 2010+ with the track pack. And the curb weight is only ~150-200 pounds heavier than a wet noodle fox chassis.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Are they that close? What's yours weigh with you in it?

My SN has about 100lbs of ballast and it's about 3250 with me in it and fuel on the low side.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Well, got the track car.

It will be running TTD, I will be instructing for NASA this year. And will get a few track sessions in for sure. But it will also be driven which is something I have not done in a long time. Daily a Mustang.

No major mods planned. Some sticky tires for the track, better brake pads, probably Carbotech AX6 (thanks Win). Possibly some springs. I don't want to go up a TT group, I want to stay in TTD. If any of you CO guys (or anyone that's in town) want to take a ride on a road course stop by one of the events and look me up.

Its an 05 GT. Premium, 5sp, axle back exhaust, and a K&N FIPK. May do a little suspension work, but keeping it tame.

Found a couple of S197 sites, Paul was on one of them. Just learning about best mods for these. Gonna bring it home hopefully this weekend, weather has been crappy the last couple of days.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
Are they that close? What's yours weigh with you in it?

My SN has about 100lbs of ballast and it's about 3250 with me in it and fuel on the low side.
I've never weighed mine specifically, but the curb weight of the s197 GTs is ~3450 stock. Compared to ~3200-3300 for an sn95

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Right on Rich.. Have fun dailying that bad boy. I've always likes some of the 197's. Some of them look very girly, some of them look very badass.. Your's looks pretty badass haha. You're gonna be learning about 3vs!! Be sure to continue posting up in here even tho your a traitor now ;)

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Oh my 94 is staying in the stable. :D

I drove the 05 today for the 1st time since the test drive. First impressions:

shifter sucked, feels like rowing a boat from gear to gear
suspension is a little on the soft side, probably stock I'm guessing
brakes feel good, just stock 05 GT, not used to drilled/slotted rotors, pedal transmits some vibration from the slots
chassis is very stiff, like it
feels heavy tho, it's a premium GT with Shaker 1000, leather, power, etc.

I'll put it on the scales when I get a chance, see exactly how the weight distribution is.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Sounds a lot different than your 94 Rich! I remember driving my buddy's 14 v6 and I agree the 197s have awful weight transfer they really do feel QUITE heavy. The suspension on the new cars are a lot different but they still feel very soft and not very racey... Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for this thing!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just like that red interior for some reason.

Great pick, a 3V is an excellent choice for a DD IMO. You can get great deals on them now that everyone wants a Coyote and the 3V responds well to mods especially boost.

You'll have this thing gutted and in AIX in 6 months :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online