Looking for advise

Fulleyes

Reaction score
Hi everyone
i just acquired a 2001 cobra svt convertible. I have aftermarket rims (10.5 & 9 ) and wide tires (315&255) from my gt that I was going to put on the cobra. I'm worried about fitment ( will not run spacers ) and after thinking it over I would like to use the stock (oem ) rims rather than the Chinese junk. The car currently has 275/40/17 kumhos on the rear. They are almost done so I ordered 275/40/17 Goodyear eagle F1 tires for the rear. Do you guys think I made a good choice? They are only going to be about an inch & a half thinner than the 315 nitto 555

lutter94

Reaction score
I think it will look good. Still goin with 255's on the front? I will have 255/285................. currently 275/285 (hate the front, it rubs).

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what the question is: are you asking if going with the Goodyears is a good choice, if going down from 315 to 275 is a good choice, if keeping stock rims is a good choice, or all of the above?

OP
OP
F

Fulleyes

Reaction score
Not sure what the question is: are you asking if going with the Goodyears is a good choice, if going down from 315 to 275 is a good choice, if keeping stock rims is a good choice, or all of the above?

All the above I think , I'm a little torn cause I love the looks of the 315 on my gt but I don't think they will fit without spacers on the Irs.
if they were the drag radials I'd be ok but the nt555 are 12.5 inches wide. Also want to keep it all oem. This car is all stock oem other than a k&n filter, a light bar and tires. The car is clean,clean,clean previous owner looked after it way beyond the norm , even have orig. Bill of sale,all paperwork records and original brochures. I think the 275 will be ok , that's what's on the car now. The goodyears I believe run a little wider than most. The 275 are 10.9 inches wide.

OP
OP
F

Fulleyes

Reaction score
I think it will look good. Still goin with 255's on the front? I will have 255/285................. currently 275/285 (hate the front, it rubs).

No there are new 245 on the front. So it will have 245/275 on original oem rims

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think you'll notice a difference performance-wise between the 275's and 315's - not at street limits anyway. Looks may be a different matter though. I think it will still look good, you may like the 315's better. Console yourself in the knowledge that you now have IRS in the rear and that is greater than "angst over 315's down to 275's" ;)

OP
OP
F

Fulleyes

Reaction score
Hi Folks
looks like the 275 tires are not going to happen at this time. They ordered the wrong tires and the ones I wanted are double the price. Too steep for me ($390 per tire plus 13% tax)
if anyone could recommend a good 275/40/17 tire that would be suitable for my 2001 cobra svt vert it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all !

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Holy $hit that's a lot of money for tires O_O. What do you plan on doing? Just cruising? Or any track duty? Do you care more about performance or about tread life?

Here are some options:
  • Nitto Motivo: basic run-of-the-mill tire. $121 per tire
  • Kumho Ecsta 4X: basic run-of-the-mill tire. $130 per tire
  • BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2: little more performance oriented. $136 per tire
  • Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance: little more performance oriented. $141 per tire
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport: more performance oriented. $144 per tire
  • Nitto NT05: dual-purpose street/track tire. $162 per tire (I have these currently on my track car, though in a different size)
  • Nitto NT 555R: dual-purpose street/drag tire. $176 per tire
  • Nitto NT05R: drag radial. $184 per tire
  • Nitto NT-01: track tire. $211 per tire

All of the above tires are 275/40-17. Listed from most basic, general purpose long lasting tire to more aggressive drag/track oriented tire. All available from DiscountTire/DiscountTireDirect. I have personal experience with all of those brands (if not the specific tire itself) with the exception of the Bridgestones - and I would totally consider putting those on my track car. As you move down the list towards the more performance-oriented tires, your tread wear goes down and you will get less life out of them, even if you don't track them. As you go up the list, you will get more tread wear (life) at the cost of "performance" - which if on a street-driven car that is never *really* pushed, "performance" probably doesn't really matter in that you won't notice a difference.

You have lots of options well under the $300 per tire price range.

OP
OP
F

Fulleyes

Reaction score
Big difference in prices here in Ontario Canada
eg. Nitto nt555 $225 + 13% tax
nitto nt 555r 270 + 13% tax and so on
we get screwed over here
So I'd like a tire for the street , doubt I'll ever get to the track. Would like a tire with a balance of both mileage and performance if possible. Summer driving only , try to avoid rain but shxx happens

OP
OP
F

Fulleyes

Reaction score
Holy $hit that's a lot of money for tires O_O. What do you plan on doing? Just cruising? Or any track duty? Do you care more about performance or about tread life?

Here are some options:
  • Nitto Motivo: basic run-of-the-mill tire. $121 per tire
  • Kumho Ecsta 4X: basic run-of-the-mill tire. $130 per tire
  • BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2: little more performance oriented. $136 per tire
  • Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance: little more performance oriented. $141 per tire
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport: more performance oriented. $144 per tire
  • Nitto NT05: dual-purpose street/track tire. $162 per tire (I have these currently on my track car, though in a different size)
  • Nitto NT 555R: dual-purpose street/drag tire. $176 per tire
  • Nitto NT05R: drag radial. $184 per tire
  • Nitto NT-01: track tire. $211 per tire

All of the above tires are 275/40-17. Listed from most basic, general purpose long lasting tire to more aggressive drag/track oriented tire. All available from DiscountTire/DiscountTireDirect. I have personal experience with all of those brands (if not the specific tire itself) with the exception of the Bridgestones - and I would totally consider putting those on my track car. As you move down the list towards the more performance-oriented tires, your tread wear goes down and you will get less life out of them, even if you don't track them. As you go up the list, you will get more tread wear (life) at the cost of "performance" - which if on a street-driven car that is never *really* pushed, "performance" probably doesn't really matter in that you won't notice a difference.

You have lots of options well under the $300 per tire price range.

Thanks for all the info , it's very much appreciated. I have decided to try Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports , ordered them today.
A couple of friends said they have always had good luck with Bridgestones.
Thanks Again!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! The Potenza's are good tires, I hope they work well for you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online