Want To Buy Looking for Aluminum Fabricators/Welders

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some fabrication/welding work to be done, in aluminum.

It's a pretty small job, which is maybe why local companies haven't returned the inquiries I've made. I'm hoping maybe someone here on the forum likes to work with aluminum and wouldn't mind a small job on the side for some extra money.

If anyone is interested, please let me know. I'll send along some drawings of what I am looking for. In summary: I'm looking for some bracket things made up to hold switches for power windows/door locks that I will rivet to my door panel. I will need two, one for each side. The size is about 3" W x 5" L x 1" D (roughly, for each side).

Thanks in advance!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just went to a local place here and had some welding done. I had to cut a large area out of my valve covers so it would clear the alt. They were super nice and did an amazing job to where they didn't even mess up the powder coating next to it so I just put a little gloss black touch up on it and it was gone. I would be happy to help you out but they charge $70/hr

have you tried exhaust/muffler shops or else tanker sales/service businesses? If you can't I would be happy to help but....

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a drawing/print?

See below for drawings...

I just went to a local place here and had some welding done. I had to cut a large area out of my valve covers so it would clear the alt. They were super nice and did an amazing job to where they didn't even mess up the powder coating next to it so I just put a little gloss black touch up on it and it was gone. I would be happy to help you out but they charge $70/hr

have you tried exhaust/muffler shops or else tanker sales/service businesses? If you can't I would be happy to help but....

No, I haven't. That's not a bad idea. I had a guy do some welding on my roll bar but he's not returning my emails either... :-/ I'm hoping that someone, with the right tools, would be able to get this done in about an hour or so. I do not have the right tools, otherwise I'd attempt it myself.

I have a shop. I will take a look at what you have.

Jake

See below for drawings...

Okay, I drafted these guys up in Sketchup and put dimensions on them. I'll post some 2D exports of the items. If you want the Sketchup file so you can review it, just let me know, I'll send it. Also, for reference, I just modeled them as "slabs" of aluminum. Because that was easier. I figure the items would be made out of one sheet of aluminum and bent to shape. I'd also want the holes drilled out, and the shapes cut. Lastly, some welding on the corners to close them up, provide some rigidity, and to remove sharp edges (so I don't cut my arm on these guys). Also, I used 1/32" thick aluminum. I don't really care about the thickness, as long as it's robust enough to not bend/flex when pushing on the switches that will go in the holes.

NOTE: click images to link to photobucket for larger resolution

For the Passenger side:

And the driver side:

So like I said, not a huge job. But one I need done none-the-less.

Edit: updated images.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they do not look that hard to make honestly. I mean as I look at them I think to myself I have a metal brake and some aluminum but I do not have the time myself. Can't even get my own car done. Have you considered trying it yourself? Its as easy as making a template out of cardboard and transferring it to metal and cutting/bending. A brake would really not help much with how small they are. You could probably do the bending with some plyers and a vice

Did the plastic piece that holds it all together fall apart or why is this the best option?

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Its not a huge job. In a shop like mine the problem is running a small job like this through the shop. I can take care of it for you it just would take a week or so. It does cost me money to run my laser and such so if you want me to do it I can for 65.00 each plus shipping. See if google sketchup outputs in iges or step. If it does I don't need any dimensions. You can email to [email protected].

Jake

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You could eliminate welding if you want by incorporating flaps on one of the edges at all 4 coners. Fold the flat and use rivets. Sort of like a cardboard box at one of the corners.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is what I meant by make a template out of cardboard and then its easy to transfer to metal. no need to weld from what I saw

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You could eliminate welding if you want by incorporating flaps on one of the edges at all 4 coners. Fold the flat and use rivets. Sort of like a cardboard box at one of the corners.

that is what I meant by make a template out of cardboard and then its easy to transfer to metal. no need to weld from what I saw

Ah, I see what you guys mean. Yes, that would be fine, as long as there were no sharp edges on the corners. There absolutely must not be any sharp edges. And I still don't want to do it myself at this point ;)

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its not a huge job. In a shop like mine the problem is running a small job like this through the shop. I can take care of it for you it just would take a week or so. It does cost me money to run my laser and such so if you want me to do it I can for 65.00 each plus shipping. See if google sketchup outputs in iges or step. If it does I don't need any dimensions. You can email to [email protected].

Jake

Does this include welding on the seams and taking care of sharp edges?

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Yeah I will make them look nice. I will run them through a laser so there will be no nibble marks. Then grain them in a Ramco belt sander. Bend them and weld them. All the welds will be ground and radius.

Jake

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I will make them look nice. I will run them through a laser so there will be no nibble marks. Then grain them in a Ramco belt sander. Bend them and weld them. All the welds will be ground and radius.

Jake

Sounds like you've got a deal! I also looked into converting the Sketchup file (skp) to the formats you asked about - it looks like it can be done but it has to go through intermediate applications (that I don't have) to convert it. There doesn't seem to be a straight conversion from Sketchup.

I can send a bunch more 2D exports to show all the dimensions as well as send you the Sketchup files, if you want them?

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Send everything you got but the Sketchup files. I already know I can't do anything with them. You're best bet is to do something with all the dimensions you need. We can go from there.

Jake

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Send everything you got but the Sketchup files. I already know I can't do anything with them. You're best bet is to do something with all the dimensions you need. We can go from there.

Jake

PM me with the email address you want me to send them to. I'll send them to you later tonight.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No problem. I don't charge extra for that!

Jake

Got in really late last night, didn't get a chance to export more images. I will do that tonight after work and send them to your email.

For payment, do you have a preference? PayPal okay?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online