Looking for build suggestions 94-98 Cobra (Canyon Carver)

RedTwilight

Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by CC'S95GT

If you love the 94-98 body then I would look into a Termi swap motor. Then do the IRS from the cobra too.
Grab the MM cataloge and start upgrading the suspension

This is one of the best ways to go really. I agree.
I go back and forth on this a lot comparing swaps to swaps.

1)Coyote 5.0 is the most ideal. I can get the engine for less than the Termi... but thats the end on savings. Everything else is 500-2000 a part. Plus fabrication... ughhh

2)The Termi engine...
Ive been window shopping on ebay for days and if i bought something today i could get a 03-04 Cobra motor for 6500-9000ish. Thats a big chunk of change. Puls Fabrication... ughhhh

OR

3)I can buy a complete 4.6 GT 2v PI engine from a 01-04 for less than the cost of a head swap alone. This is the current best plan. Because i can supercharge at a later date and dont have to lay out all that cash at once. That said the supercharger is 5k from KB far as i know. So basically i would have paid for the Termi motor... if you follow what im saying. But waaay less fabrication.... yay!

Option 3 is the most cost effective. If something were to happen and i couldnt complete the project at least i wouldnt have to sell off the car cuz i dropped over 6k$ on an engine to put in a 2k$ car

Here's another option for ya!
If you decide to do the 4.6 PI swap and still want a positive displacement supercharger but don't want to spend the money for a Kenne Bell. What about doing the Tork Tech kit that you can then use the hEaton from a Termi. You can find the Eaton's relatively cheap from a Termi owner that has upgraded.
http://www.torktech.com/terminator-gt-intercooled-kit.html

RichV

Reaction score
Knowing what I know about track cars I would absolutely stay away from boost. Specially at higher HP levels, you'll be fighting heat all the time. A n/a motor has a hard enough time living at 5k+ RPM for long periods of time.

IRS vs SRA is a tossup IMO. You can make a SRA perform very well with the right parts, same with a IRS. The IRS will be more forgiving on the street.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Excellent info right there ^

The pure nastyness of torque from a low rpm 5.4l will be far more reliable than s/c. And if thats not enough....then slap a s/c on it.

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
Excellent info right there ^

The pure nastyness of torque from a low rpm 5.4l will be far more reliable than s/c. And if thats not enough....then slap a s/c on it.

This is an option. Think I can pick up a 5.4 kinda cheap. What supercharger will fit though? Or can one for the 4.6 fit the 5.4? Didn't spend much time lookin into this.

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
Knowing what I know about track cars I would absolutely stay away from boost. Specially at higher HP levels, you'll be fighting heat all the time. A n/a motor has a hard enough time living at 5k+ RPM for long periods of time.

IRS vs SRA is a tossup IMO. You can make a SRA perform very well with the right parts, same with a IRS. The IRS will be more forgiving on the street.

well I'm not building a track car. Although the more I shop for suspension the more likely I'd see a track once in a while. Mainly building a weekend warrior

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
Ok so update

I BOUGHT A MUSTANG!
got a 97 GT in white. Black interior with a black drop top. It's almost completely stock.
ill figure out how to upload pictures later.

Bought it last monday driven it a few times.
My impression so far is that I love the car. It was soo cheap. Feels good to own a dream car outright. No matter what it's mine.
Everything works. But also everything could be replaced and no one would call me nuts lol. Drives like a 20 year old car would.
After driving it around I realized something. The car is slow. And I don't care! Lol. Somehow I got caught up in horsepowers. The v8 has just enough power to be fun. The torque is the thing that makes me smile the most. That and the drop top with style bar.

What im not a huge fan of is the handling. I can feel the rear axle shifting side to side on rough ground. Just feels loose in general. The front in is fine in that no odd feelings have shown. But the steering is vague and light. The nose always feels high in the air. By that I mean my old roadster would seem to nose down and tackle a turn. The mustang seems to lean back protecting its face and flailing its arms. Lol. You know like a girl fight? Lol.

So now im way more interested in suspension than I am engines... But from the title of this thread I always was.

Thing is is I bought the car. I'm not in the mood to drop another fat stack of cash on say Griggs Racing suspension. At the same time I dont want want to just throw some lowering springs and camber plates on and act like that was enough to get me what I'm looking for.

any suggestions on suspension would be nice.

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
Spot on MrE, I'd find a car that you like first then transfer your ideas on to it, almost 30 years of Mustangs and a lot, I mean a lot of the parts interchange, from 3v swaps in fox body's to big blocks in the s197's, the possibilities are endless.
Not to hi-jack a thread but I'm out in Camarillo, maybe we can meet up sometime.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

No hi-jack. Contributor.
You are so right. Things changed once I got the car. Chief among them I was expecting to have more cash on hand lol. Everything in due time.

I use use to live in Ventura. We can link up any given weekend.
I want to start an SN95 club if there isn't one already.

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
Love the idea, just one question...what is your budget? If you have $4k-5k a coyote swap can be done, if you have around 1500- 2k you can do a pi swap, assuming you don't have an engine to work with, but a new Kenne Bell is going to be more expensive than a f150 engine coyote swap, and aside from the exhaust and trimming the inner fender for my new ecu, there wasn't too much fabricating.
Plug and play.....terminator swap, but it's easily 6 grand.
And once you start it's hard to stop....
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My budget... It's kinda one of these things that if I have to have something for the car so bad I can't take it anymore whatever cash I have at the time is my budget. Or it's more like if I decide, I can save for that goal. Ideally I'd like to get a coyote engine. Of all the options it gives me the most freedom to drive wherever and not worry too much because it's a newer engine with good fuel economy.
Still not ruling other options out was also considering an 05 and newer 4.6 swap. I did look into the F150 swap. Couldn't determine my supercharger options though. Would I have to use one for an F150 or not? Also have to look in to f150 engine for an automatic when I have a stick. Sure this should be simple. Just haven't gotten that deep.

If you have a build thread on your Coyote swap I'd like to see it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=21143]MrE[/MENTION] to upload photos or videos you will need to use a photo sharing site, photobucket is free and easy. Then you can copy the html code for any pic or video that you've uploaded to their site and simply paste it in your post here.

If you use a smartphone or tablet then you can download tapatalk and you can upload videos and pics straight from your device. That's what several members do as it allows you to get on here anytime from anywhere.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
a 94-05 cobra with H/C/I professional tune a full maximum motorsports suspension package would make you more than happy. even a gt with upgraded brakes and H/C/I and mm package would do. gts mustang gt's from 95 have those awsome v6 seats you liked so much.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
a 94-05 cobra with H/C/I professional tune a full maximum motorsports suspension package would make you more than happy. even a gt with upgraded brakes and H/C/I and mm package would do. gts mustang gt's from 95 have those awsome v6 seats you liked so much.

He bought a 97 GT. That means he got the modular engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online