Looking for the right RED to paint my GT Vert!

jun10r

Reaction score
A little background and then OFF we go! My Dad has actually been rebuilding and painting cars since he was a teenager in the 50s, so most of his knowledge is "old school" and that includes the older paints and materials as well. He has done painting over the last 10-20 years but the newer stuff does not shoot or work like the older paints and he has not done this full time since the mid 70s.

So 40 years later, pop is long time retired now and in his 70s and I am getting the sense he is not really interested in painting the full car. We are considering a hood paint/repair if the fading is just in the clear, BUT... the wife would really prefer to paint the whole car RED instead!

Currently I believe it is the stock 1994 Black, that has faded out to a really pretty dark metallic grey for the most part, and the hood has faded really bad, but that might be all in the clear.

SO...I might be brave enough to actually paint this car myself (with my dad overseeing) and I will royally screw it all up, get lots of runs in the paint, but that can all be fixed and I digress.

What I am asking is this, the paint code for 1994 GT is "Vibrant Red" (ES) I am sure if I walk into my local paint shop, they can look that up and mix it for me but I wanted to see if there are better COLORS of red out there from other years (or even other cars, Chevy, Dodge, whatever!)

Red is funny in that it can lean towards orange if you are not careful, my old 72 GMC Jimmy was called "Big Orange" despite it being "Chevy Red" for that year. I like a deeper (bluer?) red, but not burgundy either.

So, for those in the know, is there a particular RED that is really popular? I know certain reds/paints are really $$$$$ and others because there are so many cars with them on it are really cheap in price per quart/gallon.

Any tips on specific paint codes from various cars? (Performance Red from 2000 and beyond looks pretty sharp!?) Know a good online resource for buying paint / clear, etc?

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/statsexplorer.cgi?year=all&f1=clrpaint

lutter94

Reaction score
Vibrant Red is a lot louder than Rio Red, see the link. But I think it could look a little orange in the bright sun.....See pic below

http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?55250-vibrant-red-vs-rio-red

Both - In the shade
IMG_20121213_161400.jpg

Vibrant Red - In the sun
2000_00005_01.jpg

Rio Red - In the sun
slammed.jpg

OP
OP
J

jun10r

Reaction score
Excellent find, downloaded those to my PC. That first pic the rio red almost leans purple but this last pic it is back to normal. I will have to see if there is big differences in costs between the various reds. Rio, Vibrant, Performance are the three I am seeing from our era that are the closest to what I want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I kinda like the ruby red they carried over from last year. First time in a while I have liked red although I thought it was a tad darker.
color-ruby-rear.jpg

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I am a fan of Torch Red on the 03/04 Cobras/Mach 1's

IMG_1771-11.jpg

4350728234_11e68a3f00_o.jpg

Looks great in person!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Rio red is the way to go! Although, I have to say it's around $150 a quart or pint (whatever is the small can). That's what mine is and that's what I paid for paint on my engine bay.

OP
OP
J

jun10r

Reaction score
It is a bit hard to see on a computer. I may have to check out local cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online