Looking for tricks of the trade on removing starter and x-pipe nuts & bolts

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by tajmas, Jul 19, 2007.

1. tajmas

tajmas New Member

I'm pulling the trans on my '96 GT, and can't get past the top inside starter bolt, or the right hand outside x-pipe to header nut. I've spent two days going no where fast, and would really appreciate any advice. Sizes, extension and swivel combinations, or some specialty tools that I don't know exist yet. Might be out of my league before I even get started. Thanks

2. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 Legend

You need some really long extensions for the top starter bolt, you have to pull it from near the front bumper. On the header bolt, a mid-length 13mm socket from Sear's, a swivel, and a couple extensions will do it. You also want to soak it in PB blaster the night before, and again about 20 minutes before.

3. jfor441

jfor441 Legend

I had to unbolt my ac pump to get to the 3rd bolt on the starter. An impact wrench with long extension for the x pipe bolt would work.

4. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 Legend

That should read 18mm mid length above, sorry.

5. tajmas

tajmas New Member

If I unbolt the a/c pump, do I need to unbolt the lines going into it, or do I just pull the bolts and let it hang to give me room?

6. jfor441

jfor441 Legend

I just zip tied it out of the way. DO NOT UNBOLT THE LINES lol.... You'll release all the refrigerant and then have to refill it.