Looking to buy a Cobra Convertible, a bit conflicted on what year to get.

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
After owning my '96 GT Coupe for 13 years, I have decided that I would like a Convertible. I have always wanted a manual, cobra rear brakes, and most of all I have always wanted a 4v engine. (IRS is enticing as well) I know 2v engines put down respectable numbers with the right parts and tuning but at this time in my life I dont have the room to do any major projects like that. My garage is simply not big enough for a major build as of yet. I am thinking that 8k is the most I can spend. I prefer it to be less but I dont want to buy a junker that needs a bunch of work. I prefer something with under 100k even though nice examples can be found with more miles. So if I found a well kept one I wouldnt be opposed to it.

I absolutely love the appearance of the SN95, but i am not opposed to the New edge either. Obviously I couldnt get a terminator but I would get one of those over the SN95. This conflicting issue I have is the 99-01 Cobras, Are they worth it? They cost about 3-5 grand over the Sn95, so I was wondering if I could justify getting a later one based off the upgrades. Any opinions on this? Or should I go test drive the crap out of both of them?

I have seen SN95 cobras go for 5.5k-8.5k and New edges go from 7.5k-12k. I have seen them go as high as 15k which sounds like way too much. How much do you guys think I should pay?

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than 10k for a new edge cobra unless it literally has like 6k miles which there actually is a 01 Cobra near me for sale with 6k miles for 15k. I love the sn95 body style to a fault but the new edge cobras are made a whole lot better. Honestly with a 8k price limit you can find some great cobras with not too many miles and be a happy camper. If you had the time and money I would say a 98 cobra with a t56 and irs and you would be set but that's jumping the gun a bit

whats the car really worth to you?
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...75&searchRadius=500&listingId=414378645&Log=0

Reaction score
You also live decently close to me so I'm sure you can find some of these cars I'm mentioning. Also don't be opposed to looking at cars in socal, Nevada, Oregon and Arizona because that's what I do. If you can find the right car for the right price what's going X amount of miles to own it right?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
01 Cobras are legit. Skip the 99. Honestly they'll still fetch 10k. I drove an 01 and loved it. It felt almost identical to my Mach, except the Cobra has the IRS which felt way nicer.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My opinion before ya spend a dime. Test drive an 01, and a 96-98. The 01 to me feels more stable, however, both cars are fun to drive. BUT, the 01 is newer, and puts out more power than the 96-98 Cobras stock for stock, and has an IRS over the 96-98s SRA.

07GtS197

Reaction score
At one time I was looking at a 96 cobra, she was a garage queen and had like 30k miles I think. I took her for a spin and was not impressed at all. Those b heads need gears to get them moving. I agree with the above, 01 has the better heads, the irs and the updated platform. And its cool because theres not many out there.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
The 96-98 cobras NEED modifications. I cannot stress this enough. - If you plan on staying stock or buying a stock example go with the new edge hands down.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Some people with 99/01 think they have 03/04 by the way they price them.

I have seen clean tastefully modded 96-98 Cobras for 7-8k that you could throw a blower on for what an 01 goes for. I prefer the look of the SN over the 99/01 also and the IRS in stock form isn't that great.

A yellow 98 Cobra vert with a Novi 2000 is what I would be driving right now if I was in the market.

Reaction score

I have seen clean tastefully modded 96-98 Cobras for 7-8k that you could throw a blower on for what an 01 goes for. I prefer the look of the SN over the 99/01 also and the IRS in stock form isn't that great.

A yellow 98 Cobra vert with a Novi 2000 is what I would be driving right now if I was in the market.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/5561797229.html

here ya go... but you dont get the novi..thats for people who are in the market...and also have no use for the m-6066-m462...so... ill take it off your hands

Reaction score
The 96-98 cobras NEED modifications. I cannot stress this enough. - If you plan on staying stock or buying a stock example go with the new edge hands down.

if i could, call it perfection, i would have a bab 98 cobra coupe with the t56, 31spline irs and mach 1 upper (heads/intake manifold). also 373s and an o/r bassani x pipe and borla stingers...but...thats just me... or a lightning blue gt350r... ill just take both.. just wait. itll happen

aaaaaaaaaannddd....

BAM!!!

DSC032681.jpg

IRS 98 bab

17shelbygt350r_lightningblue2.jpg

2017 lightning blue gt350r

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score

98 Cobra vert with a Novi 2000 is what I would be driving right now if I was in the market.

Good point, not sure if OP is open to buying someone else's build or if looking for a stock example.

if i could, call it perfection, i would have a bab 98 cobra coupe with the t56, 31spline irs and mach 1 upper (heads/intake manifold). also 373s and an o/r bassani x pipe and borla stingers...but...thats just me... or a lightning blue gt350r... ill just take both.. just wait. itll happen

aaaaaaaaaannddd....

BAM!!!

DSC032681.jpg

IRS 98 bab

17shelbygt350r_lightningblue2.jpg

2017 lightning blue gt350r

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Lol. Thats the exact s550 id buy and Thats pretty much the list for my BAB build after whats left to do (built IRS, + built motor.) As for the transmission i love my built t45 from t45 source, among'st some of the internal modifications Zak has made, he has also modified the shift points making it more responsive in every gear, most importantly making fifth gear KICK ASS.

Reaction score
Good point, not sure if OP is open to buying someone else's build or if looking for a stock example.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Lol. Thats the exact s550 id buy and Thats pretty much the list for my BAB build after whats left to do (built IRS, + built motor.) As for the transmission i love my built t45 from t45 source, among'st some of the internal modifications Zak has made, he has also modified the shift points making it more responsive in every gear, most importantly making fifth gear KICK ASS.

a fully built tranny is worlds better than a stock that for sure, but i feel i would need that extra gear. im not too sure what im gonna due, but im going to talk to a buddy of mine whos a finance manager at ford in sac when the 17s roll out. either a lightning blue gt track pack or a gt350r. also i thought it was kinda funny mentioning that the op could buy deeplists white vert he has hahah hopefully he considers buying that 01 i posted a link to on autotrader

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
a fully built tranny is worlds better than a stock that for sure, but i feel i would need that extra gear. im not too sure what im gonna due, but im going to talk to a buddy of mine whos a finance manager at ford in sac when the 17s roll out. either a lightning blue gt track pack or a gt350r. also i thought it was kinda funny mentioning that the op could buy deeplists white vert he has hahah hopefully he considers buying that 01 i posted a link to on autotrader

T45 was def lacking in stock form. Couldnt be happier with the built one. That LB gt350r is perfect, def grab one if you get the chance.

hahah hopefully he considers buying that 01 i posted a link to on autotrader

Yeah good recommendation

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Why?

Actually, I see people with Mach 1s asking far more ridiculous prices than people with 99/01 cobras.

I was one of those people asking a ridiculous price hahaha. Well the 99s had a few issues that were revised in the 01s. I don't remember if it was the heads or intake. That the 99s were underpowered and didn't deliver the numbers ford said they did.

Reaction score
I was one of those people asking a ridiculous price hahaha. Well the 99s had a few issues that were revised in the 01s. I don't remember if it was the heads or intake. That the 99s were underpowered and didn't deliver the numbers ford said they did.

i think it was the heads, but all the 99s should be fixed. thats what the recall was for back in 00 which is why there werent any 00 cobras excluding the r. also your mach had like under 60k miles right? most people ask 12k for mach 1s here with 130k miles and sometimes even salvaged. so...i think youre in the clear hahah

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I was going to ask about the '99 but you guys answered it. Ill have to check them out anyways but I am leaning towards an '01. Especially since the '01 has the revised interior as well. When it comes to the IRS, I know its not great for straight line performance from the factory. When I get around to it I would upgrade the diff to a terminator diff and upgrade the bushings as well.

I wouldn't pay more than 10k for a new edge cobra unless it literally has like 6k miles which there actually is a 01 Cobra near me for sale with 6k miles for 15k. I love the sn95 body style to a fault but the new edge cobras are made a whole lot better. Honestly with a 8k price limit you can find some great cobras with not too many miles and be a happy camper. If you had the time and money I would say a 98 cobra with a t56 and irs and you would be set but that's jumping the gun a bit

whats the car really worth to you?
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...75&searchRadius=500&listingId=414378645&Log=0

Oh yeah I would like to swap terminator powertrain, suspension and brakes into an SN95 or at least do a head swap and an IRS swap. No building for me at the moment, not on this car anyways. I have another project i at least need to get drivable and reliable before this new one goes under the knife.

Reaction score
yea the 01 has the better interior, slighty better irs and the interior is on point.... did i mention the interior? also...i kinda took over your thread...sorry. lol

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
yea the 01 has the better interior, slighty better irs and the interior is on point.... did i mention the interior? also...i kinda took over your thread...sorry. lol

No worries, you didnt take it over lol. We are on the same subject lol. That gray '01 is pretty much what I want. Not too much into the grey color though.

This '01 looks great, the grille looks odd though, doesn't look like factory...
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ctd/5582600835.html

There are so many more '99 verts out there though lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online